PDA

View Full Version : Naming characters based on feats?

TrojanWolf
22-11-2009, 09:49
Pretty much what the title says, have you ever named one of your characters based on something that character has done in game?

I'm in the process of naming my Skaven chieftain, (haven't thought of a first name) Ogrekiller. In the two games I've had with them against Ogres, him and his Stormvermin have charged into the enemy and he's killed one of the brutes outright. Pretty good for a Skaven with just a hand weapon*, right?

*When I say "just a hand weapon," I don't mean literally. He's got warpstone armour and a shield too, but he's never had to use them.

Condottiere
22-11-2009, 10:57
How about an ambitious Skink named Gordon Gecko?

Magos Saphentos
22-11-2009, 11:30
well ive got "larry who dies quickly" as my sorc lord but thats about it im afraid

Weemo
22-11-2009, 11:32
my first army space marines, were called "Captain Cluck and his Chicken Marines" they decided to flee from anything, all the time ŽŽ

Onidan
22-11-2009, 11:43
Iīm doing it with my Ogres, as thatīs the principle of the Ogre Kingdoms Big Names, but besides that I donīt really bother with it ^^

Leogun_91
22-11-2009, 12:10
I named a friends banshee Drengidum (Slayerdoom for those of you that doesn't know Khazalid) and that is what she is known as in the hold of Khazad-Grund

Spoik
22-11-2009, 14:41
Being the only player in the history of Warhammer to use champions in missile units, I once had a Bretonnian archer champ whom I named Gaston. I imagined him as a roguish sort.

Then came the famous battle where a fearsome giant threatened my brave knights. Already weakened by magic, the giant had just a single wound remaining, so I decided to try and finish him off with my archers.

Astonishingly, they all missed the huge target before them except for bold Gaston. A six to wound followed, and the giant fell to earth with a mighty crash, stone dead.

And thus was born the legend of Gaston the Giant-Killer.

Gaargod
22-11-2009, 14:43
We named my friend's Brettonian lord Francis le SkinkSlayer. He tends to ride a hippogryph, have it shot from underneath him by skinks, then spend the rest of the game chasing said skinks down.

This happened in several battles...

w3rm
22-11-2009, 14:54
I name most of my friends EoTG "THAT damn thing" but that's just me.

bludsturm
22-11-2009, 15:37
How about an ambitious Skink named Gordon Gecko?

This was amazing!

mrtn
22-11-2009, 16:46
How about Bigfoot?

Oh, feats, right. ;)

The Anarchist
22-11-2009, 18:47
one of my friends named his Empire general Unlucky Erol after managing to get killed by his own cannon twice in a weekend of playing! we all found it hilarious, second time it happened i almost chocked to death on the food i was eating when it happened!

wilsongrahams
22-11-2009, 21:04
Slightly different but I tend to name a character when creating the army list first time I use a model I've bought, but the more impressive the name, the better the Character seems to become in the following skirmishes and battles.

My High Elf General is Prince Galdas, Lord of Emlithien, and I now only ever field him on foot with his usual bodyguard. When using him with his usual kit on a steed or dragon - using different models, he never does as well, so now they have different names, and he stays as he is. However he is soon to earn the name Dwarf-slayer, because he has so far killed every Dwarf he's met but one certain Queen who survived due to running out of turns.

I also had an old Space Marine Captain named Lorenzo - from the 2nd ed Space Hulk missions book - and lo and behold now he is a named character, and my captain used to fight his way through Tyranids all the time, barely ever taking a wound - in 2nd ed 40k this was.

Foegnasher
22-11-2009, 21:40
my general is named "runesplitter" for his slaying of a dwarf runesmith in single combat.

i had a master moulder i called Vermis Chaos-Ripper after he killing blowed an exalted chaos hero in a challenge.

Ethriel
22-11-2009, 22:00
My warrior priest is named Dougal, because in my first game of Mordheim, he managed to get injured with a head wound, which made him stupid.

So we named him Dougal in honour of the priest of the same name from the show Father Ted.

SaintofVirtue
22-11-2009, 22:47
Since I play Bretonnia I've had to name some of my characters off of Monty python.

Sir. Robin failed a grand total of 4 leadership checks in one game.

Bob is my peasant bowmen champion. Why? Because I think every army needs a Bob just so they can point at him and snicker while comparing his simple name to the far more flamboyant names they have for the more powerful people.

Surprisingly Bob hasn't died in over 40 games. I can't figure out why.

Trigger36
23-11-2009, 02:03
I named my engine of the gods skink priest Tehexili the Mad because he usually doesn't live to see the end of battle, including the time I first turn miscast and got snake eyes with him...

Valtiel
23-11-2009, 10:39
I have called my Chaos Giant Bubba, Bane of the Undead. Silly name, but he keeps on eating Skeletons. :P

AFnord
23-11-2009, 12:33
I gave my warboss in 40k the title" Da undafeatabla", after he took 2 rounds for devastator squad shooting (all LC), and still stood there, unwounded (this was back in the old 'dex). Dice are unpredictable from time to time :P

As for my fantasy characters, they still remain un-named.

Lorcryst
23-11-2009, 19:04
I always name my characters ... but since I'm mainly using a thematic Night Goblin army, and suffering horrendous Massacres with it, the only character that survived a game is now called "Skabgit the Survivor" ... my Giants are called "Target", because that's what they do best ...

Dragon Prince of Caledor
23-11-2009, 21:40
In one game I gave my L2 mage a 6+ ward save just for kicks in a 1000pt game. He withstood several attacks from tomb scorpion and other guys he just kept rolling 6's. After that I named him clarence, he always leads my army now :D
One game my friend the Dark Lord (Chris) had an orc that was the last of his unit left after a grail knight charge. He killed a grail knight and was named Stanley :P
Dave (Tombking101) has never had anything epic.. no names... nothing he just rolls stupidly well with all his brets.. Come one dave its time for you to have a named character!!

Dragon Prince of Caledor
23-11-2009, 21:42
I always name my characters ... but since I'm mainly using a thematic Night Goblin army, and suffering horrendous Massacres with it, the only character that survived a game is now called "Skabgit the Survivor" ... my Giants are called "Target", because that's what they do best ...

lol thats awesome!

Cypher, the Emperor
23-11-2009, 21:50
The only time I ever did this was in 40k with my Wolfscout sarg who, with his powerfist and plasma pistol, single handedly took down six sentinels earning him the name Bjorn Sentinelkiller.

shredshredxx
23-11-2009, 23:03
i think it comes standard for orcs.

taugrek the throttler?

morglum necksnapper?

mulgrim facerippa?

you get the point.

Tarian
24-11-2009, 17:52
I named my Warlock Engineer "Squeekitch the Burnt". He likes to miscast. A lot.