PDA

View Full Version : Empire or Skaven??

TombKing101
22-11-2009, 19:12
Hey, Im thinking of starting a new army, and pretty much have it down to empire or skaven. What I was wondering was, why any of you decided to chose either of these armies/what you like about them be it the characters, models, playstyle, etc. I know the decision is up to me, but Im just curious. Thanks,
TK

Xynok
22-11-2009, 22:25
Personally I play Skaven, I like the way they feel to me. Most armies I get lost looking around but I know my way around the skaven units so it's nice. I like them as a whole though, just the general rat-man appeal. They have some rubbish models at the moment though... chieftains, plague priest (though skrolk is nice) and the plague censor bearers...

Empire are very versatile as far as I can see they were actually an army i've considered before as well. Just the whole thing where it's your own nation and with your own colours and heraldry. Just seems very 'intimate' I suppose.

Hope that helps in any way....

mweaver
22-11-2009, 22:30
Well, I have chosen... both!

My comments are going to be based on the models, not how the armies play in WH. (I mainly use my figures for D&D and Mordheim, with only the occasional WH battle).

The Skaven are fun, and fairly quick. to paint. The older plastics are fairly flexible in how you pose them, and they look nice painted up. The new plastic figures are more scary looking and are all around excellent figures, but somewhat less flexible than the older plastics (but having the tails cast as part of the body is helpful, esp. for purposes of ranking them up; with the older models you could have some fun posing the tails at different angles, but they sometimes came off and ranking could be problematical). There are a lot of really nice older metal skaven models that go for still reasonable prices on eBay.

The Empire army has the richest range of figures in the Fantasy part of GW. The old multi-part plastic state troops still hold up well, and mix smoothly with the Empire militia troops (originally the Mordheim human merc sprues - still the best plastic regiment GW has ever done, in my opinion). The single-piece plastics from the 6th (?) edition starter box - handgunners and spearmen - are decent figures, although there isn't a lot you can do with them in terms of conversion; they do look good with the other plastics, though. The newer plastic swordesmen/pikemen and handgunner/crossbowmen sets (from a couple of years back) have a decent selection of options and some nice bitz on the sprues, but they arent' as flexible to pose and don't mix that well with older plastics. That is, they look OK along side them but the bits from the different sprues don't mix that well. With the new archers and greatswords GW is back in stride - these figures are very flexible for posing and converting and mix well with the Mordheim/militia and old multi-part plastic state troops. The plastic knights and the plastic pistoliers are also excellent sets that mix well the old state troops, the militia, the new greatswords and archers - as do the plastic artillery pieces. In short, with the exception of the spearmen and handunners from that starter box a few years back and the spearman/pikeman and handgunner/crossbowmen boxes from a couple of years back, all of the Empire plastics are excellent multi-part models that mix together very well. As a result, the possibility of poses is pretty much endless, so you can give your Empire figures a lot of personality. There are a lot of excellent metal figures out there for the Empire as well.

Jind_Singh
22-11-2009, 23:10
May Sigmar forgive me - both are equally great armies to chose!

Heres how I decide to chose another army...

1) MOST important - which model range is the most exciting to you? If you like the Empire figs more than Skaven go Empire (Or vice versa). If both ranges are equally nice then look at the next deciding factor - in my case I love plastics so I'd give the nod to Empire as their entire core/special/rare choices are 100% plastic.
2) Fluff - I look at which background gets me more excited - especially if something leaps out the pages and says "YOU WILL BUILD A THEMED ARMY AROUND ME....NOW!!!"
3) The I look at playstyles - what kind of armies do I already have and would the new one add new dimension to my plays style and enjoyment - in this case both armies are fun as Empire has a ton of ways to play the army, Skaven are sneaky filthy rat men who scurry around annoying people!
4) Cost and time to paint the damned things!
5) Who has what in my gaming group - I dont want to add another army X when there are 3 more players who also use army x!

I personally favour the Empire for a million reasons (someone has a thread called 'Please help me chose an army!", check it out as theres lots of comments there for why Empire), but I think my main reason would be theres strong suggestions that 8th ed of WFB will be Empire v's orcs - that way your army is awesome as the new starter set would not only get you the new rulebook, but add 500pts of great new minis to your army!!! :D yeay!

mrtn
23-11-2009, 02:11
I like most of the skaven models, they're easy to batch paint to a decent standard. They're fun to play with as well.

Stuffburger
23-11-2009, 02:16
All other things being equal I'd say empire for versatility- being able to change builds to a greater degree than skaven (I think- not too familiar with new skaven) will help you stay interested in the army longer.

mrtn
23-11-2009, 02:27
All other things being equal I'd say empire for versatility- being able to change builds to a greater degree than skaven (I think- not too familiar with new skaven) will help you stay interested in the army longer.

I see much more versatility in the new skaven book compared to the last one.
Slave horde, pestilence, moulder/monster, big warmachines, shooting, magic...

TombKing101
23-11-2009, 05:53
Thanks for the great replies,
I think Im leaning towards the empire, even though the underempire-ites are still pretty cool. I like their brightly colored infantry and detachment rules, the knight models are really nice, and their artillery rocks. Hellblaster muahaha :) I guess taking a doomwheel as a dogs of war unit would be out of the question though eh? :P

Jind_Singh
23-11-2009, 08:33
:DWelcome Son of Sigmar!!!
Great choice, you wont regret my army of choice! It's amazing as what started as a 2250pt project just keeps on growing - now I know why my mate has over 10,000 pts of them and he still adds to them!
I've managed (through trades) to almost match him with the Orcs & Goblins and we've found a place were they got amazing 12ft by 4ft tables so we'll be doing a huge epic battle one day.
Some tips....

1) Knights - work best in units of 5-6 with musican only, though 1-2 units with full command never hurt! Best unit as they got a 1+ armour save!
2) State troops - always aim for a unit of 25 with 2 detachments, 1 combat, 1 shooting, free company is always prefered by people but I like swordsman detachments or halberds as the free company has no armour saves and drop combat res
3) Never under estimate crossbows - the extra range really comes in super handy and they work wonders!
4) If you buy hellblaster kit try to keep the model multipart so you can easily switch between hellblaster and rocket storm!
5) Though hated by most the Steam Tank is wonderfull, dont be shy to take 1 along from time to time!
6) Spare Knight bodies mixed with parts from the flagellants sprues make for great mounted warrior priests!

And have fun! Empire is one of the most easiest armies to kit bash - ie just replacing heads from 1 box with another for instant conversions!

For Sigmar!!!

Dragon Prince of Caledor
23-11-2009, 21:51
Thanks for the great replies,
I think Im leaning towards the empire, even though the underempire-ites are still pretty cool. I like their brightly colored infantry and detachment rules, the knight models are really nice, and their artillery rocks. Hellblaster muahaha :) I guess taking a doomwheel as a dogs of war unit would be out of the question though eh? :P

LOL Silly Dave! It would be fun playing against either so BRING IT ON :P