PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have advice for starting Confrontation?

Scanno
26-01-2006, 09:49
Title says it all really. I love the Rackham models, and want to start collecting and painting them. Might as well play the game while I'm at it. Local games store has a starter box for 50 euro. Is it worth it?

Ohman
26-01-2006, 22:33
Yes it is. But the great thing about Confrontation is that you get the rules you need with every miniature you buy. So start off with a miniature you really like and check out the mini-rulebook and cards that come with it. After a while you can buy the full rulebook or one of the starter sets, if you like what you see.

Scanno
27-01-2006, 08:21
Sounds like a plan. Thanks Ohman.

Thundergod
27-01-2006, 16:37
Keep in mind that "starter box" is probably for Ragnarok, the Confrontation rule book is 30 euros. Think Rag=WH Fantasy and Con=mordheim, sort of.
The latest blisters do not come with the whole rule book anymore, just a quick start rules, older packs have the rules for Con, we are currently in con3.

my two cents

Kalamadea
28-01-2006, 04:09
no, there are two new starter packs that have come out in the last month or so, and both are for Confrontation 3, not Ragnarok. One is the starter set which comes with 3 wolfen figs, 4 scorpion figs, and a scenario book and quick start rulebook. Then there's the Initiation set which comes with the predators of blood box, the sentinels of danakil box, a full rulebook and a scenario book. Both sets will save you about 40% compared to buying the components of the box. You can also buy the confrontation 3 rulebook seperately for, here in the US, $30. The small rulebooklets that come in the blister packs are confrontation 2nd edition, a reulest with a LOT of problems. Do yourself a favor and get the confrontation 3 book, it's so incredibly better that there's no comparison.

Exarch
28-01-2006, 04:38
Confrontation 3? Thanks for that. We are just getting started with this nw game. LOVE the minis and they're not as expensive as GW. I think we'll have
fun with it.

Strictly Commercial
28-01-2006, 11:53
Here's something to consider.

Unless you and your game group speak fluent French, make it a plan to look for the "spirit of the rules" in all situations. The translation into English is a little muddy, so it is really fruitless to attempt to pick apart all the subtleties. Even though I play with a pretty sportsmanlike crowd, we were pretty glad we established a flexible understanding of the rules and agreed to resolve with an open mind.

Keravin
28-01-2006, 14:39
The Conf 3 rulebook is so useful to a new player. It has decent examples for a start which are a godsend if you're learning the rules fresh without any help from an experienced player.

Scanno
30-01-2006, 10:43
Here's something to consider.

Unless you and your game group speak fluent French, make it a plan to look for the "spirit of the rules" in all situations. The translation into English is a little muddy, so it is really fruitless to attempt to pick apart all the subtleties. Even though I play with a pretty sportsmanlike crowd, we were pretty glad we established a flexible understanding of the rules and agreed to resolve with an open mind.

I noticed that on their website, the english version has a lot of french in it.
The box with the full rulebook, giant wolf guys and sentinels is 50 euro, my local gaming store is charging 35 for the rulebook. Some great minis for 15 quid? Yes please!

kainthedragoonx
30-01-2006, 23:32
Hey, just chiming in here...check out http://en-forums.confrontation.fr for players in your area, somewhere to get all your questions answered and just general information. Think War-seer for Confrontation.

Osbad
01-02-2006, 12:35
Found this page really helpul:

http://confrontation.voidgamers.com/

And these guys too:

http://www.conf-federation.org.uk/