PDA

View Full Version : Are Chaos Dwarfs and Dogs of War still playable?

zeekill
23-11-2009, 03:44
Sorry couldnt think of anything better for the title. What I mean is are those two armies still allowed to play at GT's and the like? Im curious because a buddy of mine wants to start DoW and if he wont be able to play it at tournaments later when he is finished I want to stop him from making a bad mistake.

I know that every tournament is different, but I just want to know whether it is generally allowed.

Geep
23-11-2009, 03:56
I don't think DoW exist in an official way anymore, but almost all of their units can be used as 'counts as' for an Empire army. It should be able to go to tournaments, just probably not following DoW rules...

Lijacote
23-11-2009, 05:51
If you play the Dogs of War or Chaos Dwarfs, they'll come riding ponies with red and blue lights and take you away, ha ha.

I'm under the impression Chaos Dwarfs are allowed in quite a lot of the independent tournaments, at least now that they have that new army list.

Condottiere
23-11-2009, 07:01
Contact the organizers about any issue that you may have doubts about, including if these armies are permitted.

pinegulf
23-11-2009, 07:10
Chaos dwarves got very well done fanbook by indygt
http://www.filedropper.com/fdwarfsofchaos_1

While this is purely 'unoffical' it's actually pretty well balanced and written partly better than offical books. (And partly worse)

Rodman49
23-11-2009, 07:28
Most of the Indy GT circuit allows you to play with DoW and Chaos Dwarfs (fan book).

Bregalad
23-11-2009, 09:36
DoW is not supported by GW anymore. No armybook, no rules, no miniatures for the future.

Chaos Dwarves will be supported, with a rumoured army book and miniatures (FW or GW) next year and a current new fan-made army book legal for US IndyGTs.

Grimstonefire
23-11-2009, 09:52
I think if he starts a DoW Chaos Dwarf army he will be ok :)

Freman Bloodglaive
23-11-2009, 10:20
DoW is not supported by GW anymore. No armybook, no rules, no miniatures for the future.

Chaos Dwarves will be supported, with a rumoured army book and miniatures (FW or GW) next year and a current new fan-made army book legal for US IndyGTs.

Though of course you can still get DoW models from GW, but not Chaos Dwarfs.

However you're probably right when it comes to support.

someone2040
25-11-2009, 05:11
Though of course you can still get DoW models from GW, but not Chaos Dwarfs.

However you're probably right when it comes to support.

Personally I was about to say something similar. Dogs of War to be honest, have more current support from GW, because at the very least they still sell some of the Dogs of War models (Most of them have held up pretty well, with a few exceptions).

If anything, I think the fact that 'Chaos Dwarves have more support' is an illusion created over the internet. It's just Chaos Dwarf followers are more numerous and vocal. Doesn't mean they have any more support (Other than an Indy list, which isn't official) than Dogs of War.

Phelix
25-11-2009, 05:20
Dogs of War were never a really strong list to begin with... I say just run an empire mercenary army (If you don't like frilly shirts then just use different models)

Freman Bloodglaive
25-11-2009, 07:13
Specific units can be stronger in another basic list.

I use Empire as my base, and some special and rare choices as Regiments of Renown.

Pikemen (especially Regiments of Renown) are too expensive for what they do, however other units like Beorg's Bearmen (frenzied swordsmen with a tough character) and Voland's Venators (cheaper than an Inner Circle knight unit with a Captain) are still quite good. Albion characters add Wizard Lord stats for hero slots, and of course there's Asarnil... gotta love a dragon. Galloper guns are expensive, but mobile cannon have their uses. A halfling hot pot should be there just for the humour implicit in drowning a Chaos Knight in onion soup.