PDA

View Full Version : Chaos androids

Wolfblade670
23-11-2009, 18:10
Say I wanted to field a force of chaos androids on the tabletop. Which would be better for representing them, Codex Necrons or Codex Chaos Space Marines?

spurker
23-11-2009, 18:50
I think the necrons were basically chaos androids in the past... Someone else would have to confirm that though.

Charistoph
23-11-2009, 19:09
I think the necrons were basically chaos androids in the past... Someone else would have to confirm that though.

Heh, not even close. Necrons don't even show up as a blip on the psychic meter. That's why Eldar are so Psychic.

As for the OP, it depends on how you want the represented. Personally I'd go fo Thousand Sons or Plague Marines to represent Chaos machines.

Lordsaradain
23-11-2009, 19:42
If you mean models I think necrons would be a better base to start with. If you mean rules, then I think either could work, depends on what you plan for your army.

Wolfblade670
23-11-2009, 20:44
Yes, I was planning on converting Necron models. I'm just trying to decide what codex would be best for representing possesed war machines.

Jackmojo
23-11-2009, 21:31
Chaos Daemons?

Jack

Corpse
23-11-2009, 22:09
Plague Marines...

Iron warriors have been using plague marine rules ever since 3rd edition to represent bionic marines.

Trust me, fearless, all those grenades and I3 represent the droid/mechanical man concept more then any other can offer. How can you justify all the necron tech when your chaos after all?

Arakanis
23-11-2009, 22:25
Heh, not even close. Necrons don't even show up as a blip on the psychic meter. That's why Eldar are so Psychic.

Actually, the first appearance of the oldest Necron Warrior model was "Chaos Android" before Necrons existed, that model was the Chaos Android model.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
23-11-2009, 22:48
Actually, the first appearance of the oldest Necron Warrior model was "Chaos Android" before Necrons existed, that model was the Chaos Android model.

Wow, insane 40k trivia powers activate!

I'm going to recommend C:CSM. Robot obliterators could be really cool, and all in all the army will feel more themed that way IMHO.

thallos
23-11-2009, 23:00
id say Chaos Daemons, that list can be used for lots of diabolical creations. Although I DO really like the Plague Marine idea, they would be perfect too, I guess it matters how you want them to play, if you want them to be more CC oriented, then Chaos Daemons for sure, if you want them to be Shoot em Up, then Plague Marine style is the way to go.

Chem-Dog
23-11-2009, 23:20
It does depend on what you want them to play like, both options posited are valid. If you are going for a -pure- "Chaos Android" army it doesn't really matter as Chaos marks ect really aren't an issue.

HarkonGreywolf
23-11-2009, 23:31
This is what they look like, from the old Space Crusade game.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff146/belong999/Other%20stuff/SCOldChaosAndroids.jpg
"Chaos Androids"!
Or "Proto-Necrons"!
;)

HG

Lord Damocles
23-11-2009, 23:38
On becoming Necrons; Necrons may have replaced the 'robot cyborg' concept, but there is nothing to support - ever - in any way - the Androids (who were never actually written out mind...) becoming or 'morphing into' the Necrons.

They're completely seperate background-wise. Just vaguely similar aestheticly.

Nothing has been provided to support any arguement that they may be the same other than that they look a bit alike.
(Even then, they could be far *more* alike. The Space Crusade Androids are far more similar to the current Necron Warriors than they were to the 2nd ed. ones).

Rules-wise, I'd use them alongside (mainly Khornate) Chaos Marines. In Space Crusade and Epic there was only ever one kind of Android (although you could put them alongside various daemon engines I suppose), which would make for a pretty dull Necron army...

Hadafix
24-11-2009, 00:41
"Iron Men" I think they are referred to in the fluff, and make an appearance in one of the Gaunts ghosts books, can remember which one. I was a good read tho and had one pop out of a STC machine with a massive fist.

Rules wise I'd go TSons.

Sir_Turalyon
24-11-2009, 03:03
If you mean Space Crusade Chaos Androids, I would say go Necrons. Space Crusade had an unlikely and never explained mix of Orks, Genestealers and Chaos fighting on the same side, we may assume their Necron-looking androids were actual Necrons without losing any more sense ;) . Probably before Imperium became aware of Necrotyr race few encountered Necrons were misdubbed as "Chaos Androids" :P .

Edonil
24-11-2009, 04:44
The Iron Men were in First and Only, and I'd recommend the Chaos book. Lots of TSons and Plague Marines, to represent the toughness of them, and to give you a bigger variety.

Arakanis
24-11-2009, 05:59
On becoming Necrons; Necrons may have replaced the 'robot cyborg' concept, but there is nothing to support - ever - in any way - the Androids (who were never actually written out mind...) becoming or 'morphing into' the Necrons.

They're completely seperate background-wise. Just vaguely similar aestheticly.

Nothing has been provided to support any arguement that they may be the same other than that they look a bit alike.
(Even then, they could be far *more* alike. The Space Crusade Androids are far more similar to the current Necron Warriors than they were to the 2nd ed. ones). Right, I don't think anyone was saying they were the same. Just that aesthetically, the Chaos Androids were the forefathers of the Necron Warriors.

I believe the original Chaos Android background was that corrupted Tech Priests (It might have been Chaos Squats, I forget) bound daemons into machines, and made them serve, but they didn't really like that so they would malfunction and perform their duties as subversively as possible.

I also agree with Chaos Marines for their rules. A Chaos Sorceror directing TSons would be perfect, IMO

Binky
24-11-2009, 07:59
Chaos Androids also appeared as part of the Chaos force in Epic, with models. But think it's one of those situations where the fluff has been retconned, the design is obviously what became the Necrons, but there's no connection between them and Chaos androids (and probably a slight vagueness about whether Chaos Androids even still exist in the background)

Jackmojo
24-11-2009, 08:34
Chaos Androids is still a reasonable early identification of them by various Imperial agencies, prior to the Necron Awakening proper, so its probably a valid in-universe term.

Jack

wolf40k
24-11-2009, 08:48
I would say, the Thousand Sons, fluff wise would be the best bet considering they, (as mindless, warp powered empty suits of armor) would play the most like an unstoppable horde of chaotic robots, marching across the field.:chrome:

Colonial Rifle
24-11-2009, 08:56
Use the Chaos codex and have them be Plague Marines or Thousand sons (probably the latter). Then you can chuck in defilers as support, which would be fluffy as they are both deamon engines of a sort.

Remember, Chaos Squats built and maintained the chaos androids so don't forget to bring along a few of those bad boys too :) Maybe they could be basic CSM?

Good idea for an army!

Lord Damocles
24-11-2009, 13:44
Right... -snip-
Several posts came rather close to saying that they were either the same or linked by more than vaguely similar aesthetics.

Androids = Necrons is one of those internet perpetuated innacuracies which deserves to be clarified and corrected every time it rears its head, lest people actually start/continue to believe it.
(See also: 'Orks in other galaxies...' etc.)

Spider-pope
24-11-2009, 13:58
Chaos Androids also appeared as part of the Chaos force in Epic, with models. But think it's one of those situations where the fluff has been retconned, the design is obviously what became the Necrons, but there's no connection between them and Chaos androids (and probably a slight vagueness about whether Chaos Androids even still exist in the background)

Chaos Androids still exist in the fluff, as others have said 'First and Only' features corrupted Iron Men (Androids) spewing forth from an STC that had been hidden on a Chaos held world.
And im sure ive read somewhere that Iron Men technology may have been based on fragments of Necron tech, which would explain how they can be superficially similar, yet nothing alike in function and not having any direct link between the two.

Lord Damocles
24-11-2009, 14:07
Chaos Androids still exist in the fluff, as others have said 'First and Only' features corrupted Iron Men (Androids) spewing forth from an STC that had been hidden on a Chaos held world.
There is no concrete link between the Iron Men and the Chaos Androids either. Again, this is based upon vaguely similar looks rather than actual background. It's possible that Android bodies are derived from Iron Man STCs, but we can't do anything other than speculate as to whether this is the case or not.

And im sure ive read somewhere that Iron Men technology may have been based on fragments of Necron tech, which would explain how they can be superficially similar, yet nothing alike in function and not having any direct link between the two.
Oft repeated fan speculation usually falsely presented as fact. Based on this quote:

They [the most ancient and zealously guarded records of the Adeptus Mechanicus] make veiled reference to unspeakable technology won in the Golden Age of Technology, and how it brought about mankind's eventual downfall in the Age of Strife.
Codex: Necrons, pg.4

Luisjoey
24-11-2009, 15:20
Someday i will have my 6th army that would be CHAOS SPACE MARINES

i do like Iron Warriors

but since i dont like one god (and dislike tzench and nurgle) i would make them like the legion but with variants for each basic marine

Iron Warriors cyborg marines, more machine than human, with the tough and feel no pain! excellent! i would use Iron hands space marines to represent them :D

TS could be completely automat robots

i was thinking about using necrons to mix, but that would make them look like slaves of the Cītan, so i discarded the idea.