PDA

View Full Version : Warpstone tokens, why would you ever take them?

Nicha11
23-11-2009, 23:53
A warpstone token is 3 OCR

A Powerstone is 4OCR, so 5 points more.

The powerstone adds two power dice to a single casting.
The warpstone token adds one power dice which may harm the caster.

Why would you ever buy a warpstone token?

lord marcus
24-11-2009, 00:18
what is OCR?

outbreak
24-11-2009, 00:18
The debate on underempire.net was that the book does not state a warpstone token is one use only. people are thinking it's intended to be reusable and the risk of taking wounds from it is what makes it not over powererd. The issue with this though is that thanqul gets a stupid amount of tokens and rerolls his 1's from those dice (doesn't stop a miscast though only the warpstone wounds)

Nicha11
24-11-2009, 00:28
what is OCR?

Old clan rats, It's a way of getting around the "no posting of point values" rule.
It's 5 points.

Ξ H2O Ξ
24-11-2009, 00:41
Don't think it is unreasonable to use the warpstone tokens more than once. They kinda seem to be more like a cheaper, dangerous version of a power familiar and less like a Power Stone type thing. Them being one use only would make them redundant compared with Power Stones, but this is GW after all.

Me and my bro and the Ratmen at my LGS play them as unlimited use, one use per turn though. However I could also see it being argued that they could be used for every spell that wizard casts every turn...

Meh, bring on the FAQ!

Dranthar
24-11-2009, 02:04
Excuse my ignorance, but are the tokens expended to add D6 after rolling the casting dice, or before? If it's the former then that's a clear advantage it has over a power stone.

Otherwise yeah, I guess it's pants, and only useful if you have points for a token but not a powerstone.

It looks like a FAQ is definitely needed though. :rolleyes:

shadow hunter
24-11-2009, 11:40
I am terrible for rolling ones. It makes the games interesting I guess, but I gave my warlock powerstones instead for that reason.

Didn't matter in the end - he cast warplightning, and then I rolled a 1 and hit myself.

Nu Fenix
24-11-2009, 14:36
Whilst I dislike Warpstone Tokens, to play Devil's Advocate there is one bonus that they have over Power Stones.

You can cause IF with Warpstone, which you cannot do with Power Stones. That is advantageous, as rolling 6's on the PS dice is simply frustrating since they do nothing but give you a high number to cast with.

Nurgling Chieftain
24-11-2009, 16:50
They took the No-IF rule away from powerstones this edition.

Phenski
24-11-2009, 17:40
I am terrible for rolling ones. It makes the games interesting I guess, but I gave my warlock powerstones instead for that reason.

Didn't matter in the end - he cast warplightning, and then I rolled a 1 and hit myself.

Hehe, i hear ya man, same here! So i go buy new dice regulary, they work awesomely the 1st game i use them in so therefore throw the old ones away. Only for the new ones to start rolling plenty o' 1s the very next game! :confused: :eyebrows: :rolleyes:

Sorry, very off topic....

Nu Fenix
24-11-2009, 17:47
They took the No-IF rule away from powerstones this edition.

Just goes to show how long it has been since I last used them, or saw anyone else use them! Oops!

jmcg1989
24-11-2009, 18:17
i find its best to use warpstone tokens in addition to power stones

its the only reliable way of getting the 8 power dice to caast curse of the horned rat

4 power dice the grey seer generates
1 from the army pool (as he cant use more than 5 normally generated dice)
2 from a power stone
1 from a warpstone token

i particularly like the following layout on my grey seer
2 power stones
2 warpstone tokens
skalm
screaming bell

can potentially get off the 13th spell twice a game (and any miscast the opponent gets and rolls a 6 :P)

my 5 cents