PDA

View Full Version : Witch Hunters in 5th Ed.

Aristocrap
24-11-2009, 02:31
I've been looking up some articles and posts about using the Witch Hunters/SoB in 5th Ed, but just how well do they perform nowdays? I can see them doing very well as a mech army, but when it comes down to the old, overpriced point values for transports and the like, are they still practical? They might find themselves a bit lacking in some departments, and only have Exorcists for long-ranged AT.

Horus38
24-11-2009, 03:44
Sisters as a unit, meaning the actual sisters themselves, have always stacked up well in that you get cheaper power armor and more bodies. However, I'd peg them at middle of the pack at best in the current lineup as the codex creep is starting to leave them behind.

Edonil
24-11-2009, 04:20
As a Sisters player, I've been able to deal with most of the newer armies (so far...no one has run a decent IG list here yet) except Orks. Flamers don't help you if you have to get in charge range to do them. Granted, I'm trying out some new stuff, but Orks will be a stiff fight for you if you play pure Inquisition. Around here, our player group allows people to use the FW rules for Rhinos to bring them in line with the new trend on Rhinos, the only requirement is that all vehicles have to use the FW prices for upgrades (ie- I take a FW Rhino, so my Exorcist is also considered a FW item for the purposes of taking Extra Armor or something). Considering that you can get the IA rules on FW's site, no one has had a problem with it around here.

lordmoon
24-11-2009, 04:30
sisters have a rough time against guard, as they have total control of the board with the amount of firepower, flyers, outflankers they can bring. the mech list is okay as long as people keep reading over the rule that lets a unit destroy a transport then charge the unit that gets out of it.

Writerski7
24-11-2009, 04:56
SoB are fine. Personally I run my WH and his assassin with my SM army now-a-days. Just works out better for the Inquisitor.

SabrX
24-11-2009, 05:04
Check out the Witch Hunter Tactica thread for 5th ed tips.

Don't be afraid, we don't bite. :D

Old over priced one fire point Rhino doesn't put a dent into Sisters of Battles effectiveness. IMO Extra Armour is a must so at the end of the day, paying 8 points per a Rhino isn't too bad. If it bothers you that much, use Forge World Imperial Armour Vol.2 for a more updated Rhinos.

Xelloss
24-11-2009, 12:57
I would add that if you want to use IA2 (the most recent updated version is 1.3 IIRC), try the repressor.
For more infos you should indeed have a look in the WH tactica...

Aristocrap
24-11-2009, 15:48
Alrighty, I'll take a look at it. I've read the WH Tactica a bit, and it's been pretty helpful. On a side note, are there any whispers of GW making WH updates in the future?

Copella
24-11-2009, 16:25
Your guess is as good as ours.
As for Sisters 5th ed effectiveness, well, so far I've been able to beat all the new shiny lists that have come from the newer codexs. Haven't played many SWs yet, so I haven't seen all their tricks. I get a lot of games where people want to test their tournament armies to see how they fair. I must be doing something right.
IG was the toughest nut to crack, but even a wall of AV 14 can be melted down. Than it's like eating a cadbury cream egg. Sooooooooo delishes.

Onisuzume
24-11-2009, 16:25
Alrighty, I'll take a look at it. I've read the WH Tactica a bit, and it's been pretty helpful. On a side note, are there any whispers of GW making WH updates in the future?Yeah, but don't be surprised it takes over a decade (Chaos Dwarfs, Dark Eldar, Necrons?, etc.). With the Chaos Dwarfs having the longest wait (about 15 years?).

Aristocrap
24-11-2009, 17:32
Your guess is as good as ours.
As for Sisters 5th ed effectiveness, well, so far I've been able to beat all the new shiny lists that have come from the newer codexs. Haven't played many SWs yet, so I haven't seen all their tricks. I get a lot of games where people want to test their tournament armies to see how they fair. I must be doing something right.
IG was the toughest nut to crack, but even a wall of AV 14 can be melted down. Than it's like eating a cadbury cream egg. Sooooooooo delishes.

Might I inquire what kind of list you use? Also, I've heard of some players using newer point values for Rhinos and the like from FW's IA rules. Where can I access these file(s)? Would it be acceptable in tournament play?

Onisuzume
24-11-2009, 17:40
Depends if they allow forgeworld or not.
So unless they mention forgeworld somewhere, its allowed (see IA2 page 7).

Thud
24-11-2009, 17:42
I'd say the SoB Immolator Spam build is one of the scarier builds in 5th edition.

Ixquic
24-11-2009, 17:51
I run a super Canoness assault squad in landraider, rhinos full of 10 man dominion/battle sister squads and three exorcists. It does pretty well against most stuff and has beaten just about every type of army at some point or another.

Overall the average sister model is a great value point for point. They have great leadership, BS and armor save along with a bolter. On top of that are their faith abilities which can really catch people off guard as well as let them preform stuff way outside what their statline would suggest. I still think that the tricked out Canoness is one of the scarier HQs in the game not counting special characters. It sucks about their rhinos but really it's not THAT bad since you'll probably won't be running more than four and the exorcist is an amazing tank for the price.

I would guess that the Imperial Armor Sister rhino would not be allowed in most tournaments so I wouldn't base a list around it. Like I said the army works well even with that legacy of 3rd edition so I wouldn't sweat it.

Copella
24-11-2009, 17:51
Might I inquire what kind of list you use? Also, I've heard of some players using newer point values for Rhinos and the like from FW's IA rules. Where can I access these file(s)? Would it be acceptable in tournament play?

To sum it up quickly at 1750
4 SoB squads in Rhinos: Hvy flamer, Meltagun, VSS-Book & Combi-flamer
Fully kitted Canoness w/ Retinue
Seraphim
2 Exorcists or 1 Exorcist and a unit of Retributors (4 hvy bolters)
That's the basis of it.
Once I get more time I'll PM a copy of my full list to you.