PDA

View Full Version : deathwind missile launcher...am I mssing something?

Bathawk
24-11-2009, 06:51
I really didn't think that there was any bad models in 40k, some may have a really specific niche, but almost every hq/troop/fast attack/ heavy support/eliteseems to have it's place

but the deathwind missile launcher?

you can only use it once, need to have at least a minimum 24 inch distance, but it's still useful if your going to fire at a target 27 meters away (?)

strength 10 and AP1 is wonderful...bu t you only get a blast radius between 3 and 6 inches?, how is the manticore (admittedly AP4) not superior in every way?

noobzilla
24-11-2009, 06:56
The Manticore IS superior.

But note the keyword here is RADIUS. 3 - 6" radius means 6 - 12" Diameter. Imagine hitting 12" of models in a circle (area of something like 9pie" to 36pie") that can hit a lot of guys, and it's Str 10 AP 1 for all of them and ignores cover saves.

It's also str 10 against all vehicles even when not centered on them... its beastly just too random to be reliable to work. It's definitely designed with Apocalypse in mind.

ehlijen
24-11-2009, 07:08
You might want to change the title (if that's possible). The deathwind is the droppod mounted mini whirlwind launcher, the deathstrike is the super rocket of the IG that I believe you're talking about.

It's radius, not diameter as already said.

And it's main use, as far as I can tell, is not to actually kill things with it. Rather, you hide it somewhere and hope that it's mere presence goads your opponent into either spreading out too far or recklessly charging towards your gunline.

Either that or if you just want to pretend your commander is a bond villain about to launch his superweapon.

Bathawk
24-11-2009, 07:15
blast, I knew it was either deathwind or deathstrike...50/50 chance of being rigth...don't think I can modify a title of a thread though

still isn't the small blast template a three inch radius?

ehlijen
24-11-2009, 07:19
The small blast template is 3" diameter.

Diameter is measured egde to opposite edge. Radius is measured edge to center. So diameter is always twice the radius.

The ordnance blast has a 2.5" radius. So at the very least, your deathstrike blast is bigger than any other normal 40k marker. On top of that, it retains its full effect against vehicles even if the center is not over the target (unlike all other blast weapons).

Scythe
24-11-2009, 08:37
Just to give you an idea of scale: the big apocalypse diner plate of doom (used by the Baneblade cannon, for example) is 10" diameter (5" radius). The Deathstrike has the potential to generate a larger blast than that. It has the potential to be extremely destructive.

Sadly the gamble usually isn't worth it. Maybe if you could use the single shot on the turn you wanted it, it might be interesting, but now it is very unreliable. It can be quite funny in casual games though. Will it destroy half of your opponents army, or not?

Bathawk
24-11-2009, 08:50
well sounds like the other problem is, since you can't choose when to fire it, your going to hope that with a large target area you'll be able to keep your own troops out of the way

Jackmojo
24-11-2009, 08:58
Not at all, your troops should be being used as a lure to bunch up the enemy :evilgrin:

And if it happens to catch the poor souls, well: "The universe is a big place, and whatever happens, you won't be missed"

Jack

ex-green
24-11-2009, 12:49
I have just used a Deathstrike in a local tourny. and while it fired 4 times out of six games only twice did it make its points back. What it did do was concentrate the enemy fire against it after the first game where a 12" pie plate did a bit of damage followed by a lot of hollering and laughing. Shots that could have done more damage elsewhere were taken against its AV 12, 12, 10 in cover and wasted. Oh and never target thousand sons peaky inv save.