PDA

View Full Version : Building Models and the WYSIWYG Rule

Narius Phinshredder
24-11-2009, 11:27
Hi all, I'm currently putting together my first Ironclad Dreadnought, I'm a bit stuck on the upgrades part. I realise you can build the 4 different arms separately and not glue them on but when it comes to the missiles and assault launchers what do I do??

In general what do people do with all their models?

Irbian
24-11-2009, 11:49
I have been said that there is no problem on models having wargear that he dont use, like a laser pistol in a model that cant use it. I suppose that if you talk with your opponent before, there is no problem

Brother Loki
24-11-2009, 11:51
I would probably fit the assault launchers, as I can't imagine taking an Ironclad without them. The missiles I'm not so sure on.

You could magnetize them. I use 1mmx3mm disc magnets from here on a lot of my models to make them more customisable:
http://e-magnetsuk.com/

Narius Phinshredder
24-11-2009, 13:07
I would probably fit the assault launchers, as I can't imagine taking an Ironclad without them. The missiles I'm not so sure on.

You could magnetize them. I use 1mmx3mm disc magnets from here on a lot of my models to make them more customisable:
http://e-magnetsuk.com/

I was thinking about magnetizing bits, it's just that when weapons are really small it ends up looking botched. It's frustrating that GW don't just put pegs on stuff! Would be a lot easier. I'll take your advise about the Ironclad launchers, I was thinking about gluing the hunter killer launch tubes on, if I were to field them then I could clip in the missiles!

RED9335
24-11-2009, 13:18
a wysiwyg question guys, grey hunters have bolter, ccw and bolt pistol, so they benefit from that extra attack when they are stuck in right? even if they are one handing a bolter and the other a chain sword with no pistol on the model?

Brother Loki
24-11-2009, 14:33
Yes, basic equipment doesn't need to be modelled exactly. Grey hunters all come with bolter, bp and ccw, uless they upgrade one to a special weapon or something. It's exactly the same for chaos marines.

Gray Hunter
25-11-2009, 01:49
Yes, basic equipment doesn't need to be modelled exactly. Grey hunters all come with bolter, bp and ccw, uless they upgrade one to a special weapon or something. It's exactly the same for chaos marines.

Agreed. WYSIWYG really doesn't apply to weapons that are included in a model's basic cost. There can't be any confusion as to whether the model has those weapons because they must have them. WYSIWYG is really only meant for upgrades to a unit, to avoid the age-old ****** trick of, "Oh, didn't I mention that those Grey Hunters have a meltagun? And it just so happens to be carried by the only Grey Hunter withing six inches of your Leman Russ? That's not a bolter at all, silly you. Awfully sorry old boy, now where's my lucky red die...?"

sucramreverse
25-11-2009, 04:58

whoa wait a minute - so if a marine is wielding a pistol and chainsword, he still has an invisible bolter he can use?? I always assumed it was either or...:wtf:

Brother Loki
25-11-2009, 10:43
If you're talking about Grey Hunters and Chaos Marines, then yes, they have all three now (commonly known as ultra-grit, as its essentially a better version of true grit). In their old codexes they had a close combat weapon and one of either bolter or bolt pistol. Standard loyalist codex marines just have the bolter and bolt pistol - no close combat weapon.