PDA

View Full Version : Space wolves impressions

RED9335
24-11-2009, 16:52
SO, now that the army has been out for a bit what does everyone think of it so far? What were the best additions and changes to the codex and the worst and how do you feel the army performs compared to how you wanted it to perform?

PLR
24-11-2009, 18:42
I love the codex, both playing with it and against it.

I've played against the Wolves a few times, using:
Space Wolves, Chaos and even Necrons. I've wiped them off the table each time I've played them.

Playing with my wolves, I've played 19 games and won all of them. This includes a major tournament.

I believe the codex is quite balanced, at least as balanced as any other codex. Can be very devastating but really needs to be played by a competent player. You can't just take all the cool stuff and expect to win games.

Overall a good codex.

Amnar
24-11-2009, 19:21
I love the codex, both playing with it and against it.

I've played against the Wolves a few times, using:
Space Wolves, Chaos and even Necrons. I've wiped them off the table each time I've played them.

Playing with my wolves, I've played 19 games and won all of them. This includes a major tournament.

I believe the codex is quite balanced, at least as balanced as any other codex. Can be very devastating but really needs to be played by a competent player. You can't just take all the cool stuff and expect to win games.

Overall a good codex.

Heh, in other words you always win no matter what you play? :)

PLR
24-11-2009, 19:35
Unfortunately... :(

Actually, it's not always, but it's more than I should. As much as I love 40K, it's getting very boring.

Karhedron
25-11-2009, 15:40
I got my SWs out of the loft and polished them up when the new codex came out. Since then my win ratio has gone down considerably. This does not bother me as I play to have fun and Wolfies are an entertaining army to play. But assuming my tactical skills are the same regardless of which army I am using, Space Wolves are a less powerful army than Eldar IMHO.

So far I have been tabled by Orks and never managed better than a draw vs CSMs. Some people claim that SWs are overpowered but so far I have not seen any sign of Wolves topping the league tables at tournements or anything like that.

Good SW builds seem to centre on plenty of troops with careful use of HQs and Elites to enhance them. Resisting the temptation to splurge on multiple tooled-up HQs is key, a couple of bare-bones priests usually work well.

StraightSilver
25-11-2009, 15:49
Well I must admit that I am still finding things in it that I hadn't noticed first time around.

It took me a while to realise you could put Wolf Guard Terminators in Drop Pods!

There are some very subtle things in there too, and I do like the Sagas, but I can't help but think that some of the Codex suffers that inevitable "creep".

But over all I think it's pretty good, keeps faithful pretty much to the earlier Codex, but introduces some nice new elements.

My biggest gripe is the lack of models available though.

I know this is usual for most Codices, but having no model available for Fenrisian Wolves / Thunderwolves seems pretty daft seeing as the "Thunderwolf" list was bound to be so popular (because it's mental!)

grissom2006
25-11-2009, 15:59
Didn't we have this asked in another thread at the end of last month guys.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226888

Lotoc_Sabbath
25-11-2009, 16:27
I honestly find that Phill Kelly has done a piece of art!!!
The codex is just great, no choice/unit of the army is useless they can be all used.
Codex is not overpowered and is very balanced.
Best thing is the special characters they have really done a good job.
miniatures are great too..

Deetwo
25-11-2009, 17:31
Good SW builds seem to centre on plenty of troops with careful use of HQs and Elites to enhance them. Resisting the temptation to splurge on multiple tooled-up HQs is key, a couple of bare-bones priests usually work well.

For the moment atleast.
It's all part of the current trend of getting everything in max size.

Doesn't necessarily make it the best build or the best tactic, even if it's solid.
I seriously doubt any GH spam lists will see the top ends of tournaments consistently.

PhalanxLord
25-11-2009, 18:01
For the moment atleast.
It's all part of the current trend of getting everything in max size.

Doesn't necessarily make it the best build or the best tactic, even if it's solid.
I seriously doubt any GH spam lists will see the top ends of tournaments consistently.

I doubt it either. GH are good, but they still evaporate to a decent CC unit (at least the way I roll). I like to have a pair of WG units with a smattering of power weapons and power fists/Thunder hammers to crush my opponent's units while my GH either hold them up or take objectives. In terms of number of MEQ dead per point nothing in the book beats a WG with a power weapon and a bolt pistol.

I'm honestly not too impressed with the sagas I've tried. With Saga of the Warrior Born I find that my unit tends to kill things too quickly (2 power weapons, my wolf lord, one power fist, one thunder hammer, 4 bolt pistols and close combat weapons) or he dies (he hates to pass his armour/inv saves, despite having runic armour and a belt of Russ).

Overall though I've been having fun with them. I don't tend to roll over my opponents nearly as easily as I do with my nids, but its definately interesting using an army with transports. I've just managed to get playing them with all but two units in transports (one GH unit and one LF unit) and it really makes a huge impact on how the game is played. The ability to jump out, charge, take a turn of shooting, then jump pack in and move a total of 18" is not to be underestimated. After including the size of the transport you could move 18" (move 6", enter, move 12"), then next turn get out of the transport (2"), move (6"), and then charge (6") for a total of 32" movement over 2 turns. You can add in another 6" if you use a land raider. Its pretty good.

Jayden63
25-11-2009, 18:27
I've only played one game with my wolves and it was against another wolf player.

Here is what I learned.
1 - TWC is brutally effective against mech list. Awesome charge distance and due to high number of rending attacks and S10 fist/hammer they brutalize most vehicles that they touch.

2 - Mixed style WG termies is awesome. A few hammers, with TL claws, and even bare bone PA guard to soak up initial hits. These guys come to fight and stay.

3 - Arjac is a beast.