PDA

View Full Version : new SM army what to choose

olberon
24-11-2009, 17:59
Hey fellow warseers,

im thinking about starting a new SM army, but cant choose between the following 4.

* Blood angels
* Black templars
* Dark angels
* none, stick with your current project!

Please decide for me, with motivation ofc ^^
will make a blog on this army and post it on this site

SPYDER68
24-11-2009, 18:29
Which models do you like ? you gota look at that.

Blood angels, basic marines hardly any model upgrades right now.

Black Templars, Upgrade sprue's for the infantry that come with tank doors for chapter specific.

Dark Angels have many nice Chapter specific bits and sprues you can get also.

If i was basing off looks, right now Templars and Dark angels are the top two.

and for other marines, Space wolves have many very nice looking new models that were just released with the new codex.

burlinghoff
24-11-2009, 20:39
I love wolves, modding opportunities like whoa!

meno1
25-11-2009, 08:42
Wolves isn't an option, last time I checked.

Depends on playing style I guess. Blood Angels I'm not too sure on, but Templars love to mash stuff up up close and see their foes death up close, while Dark Angels tend to zoom around on bikes and in speeders, yelling woosh! as they vanquish their foes.

Both Templars and Angels present great conversion kits and modelling opportunites, just be ready to learn how to model GS cloaks if you're looking at Dark Angels, although you could get away with it...

So really, it boils down to playing style and fluff which do you like most? All present great conversion, modelling and painting opportunities (couldn't think of a better word) in their own way - Blood Angels maybe a little less so - but are pretty different in playing style and fluff.

Me? I'm picking up an AoBR set as soon as Chrissie and a job come, as well as the DA Veteran set and conversion sprue, and starting my own quest to purge the fallen brothers in the holidays. I'd recommend to do this with any of the armies you do choose, the AoBR gives you two basic armies, then add on a conversion sprue and a chapter-specific box set or characters and you're looking at a 1000 point or so army for a mere $200 AUD (when buying an army from scratch it's $300-400 AUD).

Aurellis
25-11-2009, 11:36
I'd go for the Black Templars... or the Blood Angels if you've got Space Hulk and can make use of those fantastic models.

There are tonnes of great modelling/conversion opportunities for the Black Templars and they've got a great wealth of fluff.

Jinra
25-11-2009, 12:03
Wait for the new Blood Angels codex!

I'm sure a very detailed awesome range of models will follow, the rules should be insanely good!

primarch16
25-11-2009, 13:38
Go Templars, we can still throw a decent competetive list down, top colour scheme and great fluff.

stormboy
25-11-2009, 13:54
I would go with Templars.

I always wanted to do a Templars army based of the Knights of Solamnia from Dragonlance (who doesn't love those books?)

So their are opportunities to model and the story behind them is decent - they are still out there at the edge of the universe kicking ass in the name of the Emperor.