PDA

View Full Version : Dragons are they to much?

Ardath123
24-11-2009, 18:48
Hey new to the fourm and i have found it really helpful. and i can't spell sorry.

So my question is are dragons to powerful for a 2k game. My local game store is having a turnament on the 12th and i was thinking about fielding a vampire lord on a zonbie dragon but don't know if it is to much cheese for a 2000 game let me know what you all think.

Agoz
24-11-2009, 18:55
For a friendly game, I consider it a bit much, however, for a tournament, I think you should be alright.

MTUCache
24-11-2009, 19:09
You could say that about just about any single model worth over 300 points in a 2k game... well, maybe 400, but either way once you get that powerful of a single model (in whatever it's powerful in), other lists are going to have a hard time dealing with its limited weaknesses unless they've got the right tools for the job.

Anytime you start seeing heavy investments in any one phase of the game, whether it's magic, shooting, warmachines, combat, it starts turning the game into a rock-paper-scissors type matchup. If you've got an army that has the tools to deal with the dragon it's not overpowered at all, but cramming all of those tools into a 2k list can get pretty difficult. Those types of games, where you simply don't have an answer for something that someone else has in spades, are the ones that aren't very fun or friendly.

In a comped tourney, I would agree that just about any Dragon list should take a comp-hit. Unless you're taking some serious concessions in other areas you're not going to give too many opponents a good game.

In a non-comped tourney I don't see anything wrong with it.

Personally, I feel that all monster-mounts should take up at least a hero slot, if not a hero and a rare. Having multiple terror-causing, 6/6/6/6 stat-lines in an army is ridiculous.

phoenixlaw
24-11-2009, 20:04
In my experience - with Vamps you are actually weakening your army by having your lord on a Zombie Dragon. You'll be fine.

The alternative lords are a lot more OTT.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
24-11-2009, 20:11
In a friendly game it's to much... Force. You can kick your brothers ass with a dragon, I can bet he wont have a good time. For a competition it's just fine. Why kick your cousin/buddy/brothers ass when you can kick a total stranger without risking to be known as a bit of unfair.

devolutionary
24-11-2009, 20:14
No, I don't. Dragons are not inherently bad, overpowered, or game breaking. They are a big investment, an investment that has even more effect on how weak your army is the smaller the game is. 2k points is perfect for a basic Dragon lord, or a battery of cannons, etc in my experience. You surely don't play 2k games to use the same stuff you'd use at 1l do you? Bigger games should yield more interesting units.

evisor
24-11-2009, 23:33
Phoenixlaw is spot on.
The monster mounted vampire lord lists are less good than the caster or bunker fighter lists in my mind.

static grass
24-11-2009, 23:36
Yeah the idea that sticking a vampire on dragon is less effective than sticking him in a unit simply boggles my mind. I can almost here the dev team laughing at us.