PDA

View Full Version : Do People Use the Regular SM Codex for Alpha Legion?

Hattori Hanzo
24-11-2009, 19:05
One of my friends was thinking of starting an Alpha Legion army and so we got talking about which codex to use. I know this topic has been done before but it seemed we both had good ideas:

Option One:
He was thinking of using the CSM codex and just staying away from the really chaosy wargear and stuff. Then taking lots of Chosen infiltrators, regular marines in rhinos, deep striking raptors and terminators and finally taking IG models as lesser daemons (Signifying cultist). The army would include other stuff too but, that was just the stuff to make it somewhat AL

Option Two:
My idea was just to use the current SM Codex. That way he gets like scouts (Cultist), assault marines, tact squads in drop pods, well lots of stuff could be in a drop pod. and all sorts of other surprise stuff if he wanted it.

Please let me know which you thinks is a better option to show Alpha Legion

x-esiv-4c
24-11-2009, 19:07
Use the Space wolf codex like all the cool kids do :D
(lone wolf profile fits for some kind of insurgent etc)

Lord Damocles
Chaos Marines.

spurker
Alpha legion are CSM, so for me it is a no brainer. I do like the idea of using IG models as lesser daemons.

Mannimarco
24-11-2009, 19:09
i actually used vraks 1 but yeah CSM is the way to go

doskar
24-11-2009, 23:23
Most loyalist space marines ARE Alpha Legion, they just don't know it.

Seriously, I run Alpha Legion with the CSM codex. They are what they are, Chaos Space Marines.

Sir_Turalyon
25-11-2009, 10:35
Use the Space wolf codex like all the cool kids do :D
(lone wolf profile fits for some kind of insurgent etc)

No, wait two months then use Tyranids!

Seriously, go CSM.

Aurellis
25-11-2009, 10:36
I wouldn't welcome it because i'd like to think my opponent would hold firm to their CSM codex loyalties. Even the loyalists know Death Before Dishonour.

PaddyF
25-11-2009, 10:36
Of course they do since every space marine is infact an Alpha Legion operative in disgise.

Spider-pope
25-11-2009, 10:41
Personally i'd say use the CSM codex, since Alpha Legion are Chaos Space Marines afterall.

TheShadowCow
25-11-2009, 10:57
Multiple large units of Chosen is very Alpha Legion-ish, as is the "Daemons as Cultists" idea (an awesome suggestion actually).

One thing I would stress is don't shy away from using Marks and the odd Chaos-y unit though - yes we all know that the Alpha Legion doesn't openly worship Chaos and clearly have their own agenda, but by this point in time I find it hard to believe that they aren't going to be making pacts of convenience etc if it will give them another means of attack.

Thus, Alpha Legion should not feel bad about employing a Khorne Lord on a Bike with a Bloodfeeder (drool).

Brother Loki
25-11-2009, 11:34
I'd definitely go with Codex:Space Marines, but then I'm a huge fan of the idea that the Alpha Legion are doing it all for the Emperor, and don't follow Chaos at all.

Korsarro Khan counts-as leader (without his super bike) - gives army outflank.
Scouts as Operatives - sergeants are alpha legion cell leaders like Pech.

Avoid units like land speeders, and whirlwinds which CSM wouldn't have access to - although possibly make an exception for the Storm, as I think the Operatives should have access to non-standard kit.

GrogDaTyrant
25-11-2009, 12:03
Sadly, I'd go with neither. Lost and the Damned always struck me as the best list to use for Alpha Legion. CSM just seems so... wrong for their fluff.

VanirX
25-11-2009, 13:44
Alpha Legion was never required by Roboute Guilliman to follow the Codex Astartes. Sooo C:CSM is what you should use.

Leth Shyish'phak
25-11-2009, 14:42
IMO, both codices would be equally good for the Alpha Legion. Codex: Space Marines for when they're being sneaky before all of their plans are laid in place and Codex: Chaos Space Marines for when they're in full swing with their target in disarray while all the daemons and possessed, etc are free to run around without worrying about not being seen.

I sort of went into a rant, so the rest of my post includes some Legion spoilers. Stop reading here if you don't want them. :)

I'd definitely go with Codex:Space Marines, but then I'm a huge fan of the idea that the Alpha Legion are doing it all for the Emperor, and don't follow Chaos at all.

Their faith and willpower would have to be of pretty epic proportions to have sworn themselves to Chaos ten thousand years ago and to have not given in. :eyebrows: Whatever their original reasons were (not to mention the fact that it was only the Primarchs who spoke to those aliens (that was a terrible story :( Lets not kill the foul, untrustworthy xenos that we have been born to kill. No, lets talk to them and believe an incredibly far-fetched tale that requires us to betray our Emperor and our brothers in order to gain a small chance of killing Chaos. :wtf: Mad.), I doubt that they would have told any of the legionaires. Secrets and lies and all that.) I doubt that those are still followed by the present day Alpha Legion.

shabbadoo
25-11-2009, 15:24
Chaos all the way. Chaos Veterans can Infiltrate, so you can use them as your sneaky gitz, while the regular Chaos marine units can be your "bait" units. The main units lure the enemy in and the veteran Infiltrators outflank, sealing off their escape. That's the general idea. Not all Alpha Legion need to be used in the sneaky git role. You could even represent sneaky close combat-armed cultists using the basic daemons. Or you might just be playing with a good group of folks who would allow you to use the Siege of Vraks Renegades forces as cultist allies instead. The Imperial Armor Vol. 6: Siege of Vraks(Part 1) Renegades list does allow you to take Alpha Legion squads(which do have Infiltrate) as an Elites choice, so you could have 30 Alpha Legionaries in a Renegades army list, plus a whole bunch of supporting Renegade forces.

sigur
25-11-2009, 15:31
Why is there even a discussion about that?

Alpha Legion --> CSM --> Codex CSM.

Purge the Heretic
25-11-2009, 16:32
This:

Korsarro Khan counts-as leader (without his super bike) - gives army outflank.
Scouts as Operatives - sergeants are alpha legion cell leaders like Pech.

Seriously, I run Alpha Legion with the CSM codex. They are what they are, Chaos Space Marines.

Are you sure? For the most part they take no marks in the fluff, if any they take the mark of chaos united, which may just include the emperor if he is in fact an up and coming chaos god.

primarch16
25-11-2009, 17:24
I'd go for chaos marines. Few squads as troops, infiltrating chosen, maybe a squad of terminators. Generally just avoid chaos stuff, I like the daemons as cultists though, could recomend them springing from an ambush in support of the Astartes.

Deus Mechanicus
25-11-2009, 17:28
I use the Ork Codex for an Alpha Legion army in disguise.

Lordsaradain
25-11-2009, 19:27
If you're playing alpha legion, you needn't be playing a marine army. You should be playing something like IG, and then you can tell your opponents that the Alpha Legion has infiltrated the army and the IG are fighting for the Alpha Legion agenda(even though they are proably unaware of the fact themselves). Alpha Legion don't come out in the open, they pull strings from the shadows.

Brother Loki
25-11-2009, 23:42
Actually, that's just what I'm doing. I'm using my Guard army with an AL leader (counts-as Straken) and an Operative (counts-as Marbo).

Skyth
26-11-2009, 01:45
The C:SM can do a better job of representing Alpha Legion than the current C:CSM while still using the same models, etc as before.

Norsehawk
26-11-2009, 02:47
It doesn't matter either way as long as:

1. You tell your opponent what list he is facing.
2. You don't mix and match.

Fluff wise though, you wouldn't want to use all of the 'new toys' that have come about since the Heresy

Arbedark
26-11-2009, 10:38
Codex: Space Marines

Then you can use Captain "Really an Alpha Legionnaire" Sicarius to do a "Surprise Attack!" and infiltrate one Tactical Squad.

And Captain "Also really an Alpha Legionnaire" Shrike to infiltrate another unit, and make everyone run really fasts!

Thylacine
26-11-2009, 12:10
Use the TAU codex there must be some good stuff in there!

Chaos Codex

Petay1985
26-11-2009, 12:22
In agreement with 'Mannimarco' : Imperial Armour 5 - The Seige of Vraks Part 1 would be the way i'd do it!
In this pole however i've voted for Chaos Space Marines, they are after all Chaos!!

Rick Blaine
26-11-2009, 13:36
What's the point of using CSM when you're not going to take the staple Chaosy choices? You'd just end up with a poor man's SM army, which is what a lot of people here want, I guess. The Vraks traitor lists would be the best fit, otherwise SM or SW.

Flypaper
29-11-2009, 03:53
Another advantage of C:SM is the option of Inquisitorial allies. Inquisitors with retinues, stormtroopers, and - if your playgroup allows - Witchhunter Zealots as the perfect cannon-fodder cultist option. Plenty of extra counts-as choices there.

TGaunt
29-11-2009, 10:45
take an IG army.

Ally in a GK Grandmaster and say it is the choosen alpha legion lord with honour blade who has come to further and seal his plans.

on a full out assoult (when the plan is set and the killing comences) imho CSM for the good wargear and choosen infitlrators.

totgeboren
29-11-2009, 11:54
SM codex. Using the CSM codex when you are not gonna use any cult troops or daemonic stuff leaves you with... hmmm... like 5-6 units to make your army from?
Use the SM codex, it will be more fun that way, instead of having a horribly gimped CSM army.