PDA

View Full Version : God-themed Traitor Guard

Delicious Ron
24-11-2009, 19:25
For Khorne we have the Blood Pact and the Servants of Slaughter on Vraks, for a Nurgle themed guard we have the Servants of Decay but what about Slaaneshi or Tzeentchian Guardsmen? How would they operate and how they differ from each other?

I can see a Tzeentchian army using telepaths as vox-casters or something like Psyker battle squads and have herds of those mutated beyond recognition. Not sure how a Slaanesh force would operate though.

IcedAnimals
24-11-2009, 19:27
slaanesh force would be caught with their pants down(literally) and wiped out. that is why you don't see em.

Mannimarco
24-11-2009, 19:32
a slaaneshh one wouldnt work, they would become so immune to all the horrible acts they were commiting and keep pushing the boundries (see noise marines) that they would eventually destroy themselves

tzeentch wouldnt work either, the tzeentch worshipper isnt out on the front lines, hes manipulating the guy who is sending soldiers to the front

Clang
24-11-2009, 19:36
i think either would be very easy cults:

Slaanesh would be hedonistic loud partying punks with a death wish (as can be seen at 2am on any Saturday morning here in 21st-century Earth :) ). Seriously, a Slaanesh Daemon would have little difficulty 'seducing' the local Imperial pleasure-seekers over to the dark side.

Tzeetch might use jealousy: "those space marines think they're so cool, we can be super-human too, just look at this amazing new procedure our new slightly crazy doctor has invented", pretty soon everyone has one of the cool new 'improvements', but then they start to have side effects...

boogaloo
24-11-2009, 19:37
I see a slaanesh or tzeentch force being very similar to a normal guard force. Only the commisar would have to be corrupted by them in order for the whole regiment to fall in line (please bear in mind I am terribly ignorant to IG fluff). So other than a Comissar with one bright pink boob (and whatever psychological defects), or technicolour fire for hair (who may or may not know he's doing tzeentch's will) I don't see a huge difference to Loyal Guard.

boogle
24-11-2009, 19:57
Tzeentch themed force:
Primaris Psyker
2x 9 man units of Battle Psykers (cabals of Tzeentch acolytes)
1x 9 man unit of Storm Troopers - the AP3 could represent Chaos Spell type weapons
Fill out the troops sections as you see fit
the Hellhound Variants could also represent chaos spell type weapons

Slaanesh Themed Force
Commissar Lord (the high LD and aura of command could represent his allure)
Priests - used to enhance the squads they are assigned to to kill up closee
2x 6 Ogryns (pleasure brutes)
Platoons, all with Commissars, the stubborn to represent staying and enjoying the pleasures of battle
Rough Riders - Pseudo Seeker type unit

Delicious Ron
24-11-2009, 20:18
a slaaneshh one wouldnt work, they would become so immune to all the horrible acts they were commiting and keep pushing the boundries (see noise marines) that they would eventually destroy themselves

tzeentch wouldnt work either, the tzeentch worshipper isnt out on the front lines, hes manipulating the guy who is sending soldiers to the front

That's just an excuse to not be creative, if the god of blood-crazy berserkers can have an organized and disciplined guard force devoted to him then I don't see any reason why Slaanesh and Tzeentch couldn't

DuskRaider
24-11-2009, 20:28
I believe FW said Slaanesh and Tzeentch would be getting their own Renegade Militia forces at some point.

Delicious Ron
24-11-2009, 20:31
I believe FW said Slaanesh and Tzeentch would be getting their own Renegade Militia forces at some point.

Really? I was hoping for that actually, it will be interesting to see how they turn out.

MarshalFaust
24-11-2009, 20:34
for slaaneshi guard think of the persians ala 300 in space with lasguns and tanks.

any guard army dedicated to a single god will ultimately be unsustainable except maybe nurgle because thats kinda his thing. but that doesn't mean they wont cause one hell of a ruckus before they go down.

NeonDante
25-11-2009, 00:25
So, how do you keep a bunch of pleasure cultists organized, I started to ponder upon reading this thread. Then the answer seemed blindingly obvious once it came to me: discipline! And I'm not talking about speeches and marching drills, either... I'm talking about sergeants and commissars with whips, floggers, hot pokers and worse, driving their troopers forward into eager obedience, their leather uniforms crossed with welts and lashes. Banners and flags should be unsettling without really being obvious why... Slannesh is the patron of artists too, afterall!

It's easy to imagine a group of cultists worshiping their leader with his/her/both's unnatural beauty and charisma. Have people chained to the artillery as a punishment detail, Ogryn represented by twisted mutants who are pumped full of combat (and other) drugs. Penal Troops could be used to represent the common soldiers who are using them... maybe with chem dog rebreathers to represent that.

For conscript cultists, in one of the Cain books (Can't remember which, off the top of my head.) the slanaeshi cultists tend to be people from all walks of life... at one part they are attacked by a voluptuous woman, an old man, and a youth of indeterminate gender. They are wearing garish robes with bright colors, and tend to enjoy being disemboweled a little bit too much. They fight as an undisciplined, if enthusiastic, rabble. It's the third book, I think, and like the rest of the cain books, a good read.

I could say something about rough riders, but I'm not going to, as this is a family forum. :P

I'll leave Tzeench to someone else... I'm a lover not a schemer!

Dranthar
25-11-2009, 00:43
Tzzentch:
Heavy emphasis on psykers, but not insofar as every model is a psyker. Even for a tzzentch army I'd argue they'd be rare.
Scheming could be represented by the officers that alter reserve rolls. I'm in two minds about a vox network. It could represent some kind of telepathy but on the other hand, it just seems a little too organised for what should be a "Chaos" army.
Vehicles would all be hard to kill, LRBT types - if only because it runs parellel with the hard to kill thousand sons.

Slaneesh:
Anything that improves Morale, with close combat as a secondary theme.
Light fast vehicles, especially the sort that spew acid at things. ;)

Bolter Bait
25-11-2009, 04:11
Tzeentch would have a subtle influence on them. Lots of units that can scout, infiltrate or outflank to gain advantages, probably backed up by lots of conscripts (deluded masses?). Large amount of psykers as well, but really, the big theme should be subtlety, planning and helpless fools to do the Architect's work for Him.

mightymconeshot
25-11-2009, 04:29
um the cain series has several fights with slanesh. it goes into detail and most of them are hiped up on drugs to resist pain and they are also usually cc aimed and even ignore shooting if i remember correctly

meno1
25-11-2009, 08:06
"Their minds are mine to play with!"

I'm thinking of a Tzeentch LatD list, and absolutely love the idea of a sorcerer corrupting the minds of a large force of IG to bend to his will. I have also just read the Gaunt's Ghosts Omnibus, in which an eldar Old One (yes it's eldar but it could work the same for chaos) corrupts the Tanith and Blueblood men into fighting for their main belief. This sets the Tanith men into fighting ferociously alongside the eldar, believing they are fighting the siege of Tanith (when Tanith is really long dead).

But yes, I can just see a sorcerer (psyker) of Tzeentch striding along with a stormtrooper (elite cultists) and/or PBS bodyguard, leading a rabble of mutants who once were men. This would look great! As for Slaanesh, well I'm not too sure on what a force of IG under his rule would be like, although I love the Persian army idea:D

NeonDante
25-11-2009, 11:10
That would be great, meno... 100 men fighting for 100 reasons. Each certain that this is in his best interests, that he's going to come out of the war with power, wealth, respect, whatever he craves. Laughing as his comrades are killed, knowing that they, unlike him, were not favored by the Architect of Fate.

TimLeeson
25-11-2009, 12:23
Interesting discussion, now that I think about it - iv seen loads of nurgle and khornate traitor-guard but never any tzeentch or slaanesh. Get on it peoples!

Lord Malorne
25-11-2009, 12:58
I am planning to do traitor Tzeentch guard, what to use as models is proving the hard point, as I want the avergae joe traitor to look fancy.

Lord Malorneson

Askari
25-11-2009, 14:49
I have Tzeentchian Traitor Guard.

They are ambitious and don't like to play fair, that's why they use Tau Pulse Rifles they've stolen (Stormtroopers with Hellguns) and other strange and wonderful technology to give them an advantage. They are extremely well-trained but few in number, relatively, which is why they used the Grenadiers doctrine in the last codex. Psyker Battle Squads are a must now of course!

The leader is a typically manipulative Aspiring Champion from my Thousand Sons splinter faction, using the rules for Iron Hand Straken naturally.

Pushkin
25-11-2009, 15:23
I could imagine Slannesh traitor guard could be anarchastic cyber punks ( i'm thinking Necromunda models!!). They could be guardsman who have abandoned the rigourous life of a guardsman in favour of a life of chaotic indulgence. You could use a mix of House Escher and House Goliath models and convert a few Icons of Slaanesh.

I think Tzeentch guard would look good as an army of cultists. These Guardsman could represent the mass of cultists that worship tzeentch and aspire to be gifted with sorcerous powers. I suppose you could use any robed models but again i gues a mix of House Cawdor and a few converted Redeemers from Necromunda could look good.

It's strange cos i imagine a Tzeentchian traitor guard to be a horde army, prefering to fight at long range and supported by lots of pyschers and daemon engine? I reckon they'd be pretty cowardly though when it came to close combat, prefering to scheme and attack from afar than up close!

Purge the Heretic
25-11-2009, 16:52
tzeentch- 2 psyker battle squads, allied inquisitor lord, allied daemon hosts,
lots of veterans in chaos warped valkeries. CREEEEEED! (tactical genius)

slaneesh- Allied repentia (use the normal models or counts as with something else, either will look great in a pleasure seeking force) S&M masked ogryn driven forward by whips is almost a must do. Priests allied in from the witchhunters book are great too, might consider arcoflagellents in place of repentia.