PDA

View Full Version : Is there such thing as 'national' stereotypes amongst 40k players?

Trogdor
24-11-2009, 21:40
I'm potentially opening a large can of worms here, but it strikes me that there is a bit of a difference in attitude/approach to playing 40k between us Brits and our fellows across the pond.

It could be argued that (and I'm making no value judgement, just an observation) Brits tend more towards the narrative approach, focusing less on the letter of the rules and more on the overall spectacle of a wargame whilst US players tend more towards competition, perhaps focussing on list building for example, and prefer tightly worded, tournament orientated rules. Looking at the wider 40k community, can other patterns be discerned? Do you fit such a trend or are you spluttering in outrage at the very suggestion?

Undoubtedly there will be local variations in the meta game but are there national ones as well? It's a viewpoint that was recently discussed in a BoLS article - but what do you think?

-Edit: I've just noticed a howler of an error in the title. If a mod would care to change that 'is' to an 'are' and add an 's' to 'things' I'd be very greatful.

Mannimarco
24-11-2009, 21:43
not really no, theres competitive/tourny players in the uk and fluffy/fun players in america, geographical location doesnt make any difference to player personalities

Ozendorph
24-11-2009, 21:48
I live in the US and couldn't care less about competitive play. Even when I play in tournaments I'm really just there to get some games in, see new armies and meet players. I know a few very competitive players, but most folks I play with are pretty laid back.

SPYDER68
24-11-2009, 21:59
From the US..

I play in tourneys usually monthly (or did till last couple months)

Play normal games for fun.

looking into a Campaign for fun.

And so far never played in a GT or adepticon.

I will admit sometimes more toward tourneys, but thats due to Tourney i go to. 100% painted and 100% based is required to play, makes it fun to see different armies and show your own off.

Deetwo
24-11-2009, 22:08
Finnish players have a bit of reservation against Italian players atleast, there's been a lot of talk about Italians being blatant cheaters in tournaments over the years.

True or not, I have no idea.. But suppose the truth is not a factor in stereotypes anyway :)

Ozendorph
24-11-2009, 22:12
That's interesting. I guess the only stereotype I'd have is expecting French players to have very well painted armies. That just comes from seeing the amazing Golden Daemon entries from France over the years.

Trogdor
24-11-2009, 22:15
That's interesting. I guess the only stereotype I'd have is expecting French players to have very well painted armies. That just comes from seeing the amazing Golden Daemon entries from France over the years.

The Spanish, too, seem to produce their fair share of award winners as well if I remember correctly.

owen matthew
24-11-2009, 22:25
I can personally account for the Italians in at least Florence and Rome being some of the hardest, power-gamingest, cheatinest, fighting/arguingest mofos I have ever met. My years out there playing with them made me switch to Confrontation as my primary (a much softer croud). I'm back in 40K as my primary, but I fear what the Italians are doing out there on that boot... I have no idea how those game-barbarians have any fun!

I'm an Italian american for the record, and I have spent a few years out there, I know what I am talking about!

Arakanis
24-11-2009, 22:41
I'm from the US of A, and I really don't enjoy tournaments or competitive play. In fact, I regularly get together with a mate of mine and we play homebrew missions that form in an over arching campaign we've been telling about his Chaos Warband as it ravages across several sectors of Imperial space.

It's definitely a blast.

Then again, I'm from the Seattle-area, and we like to think of ourselves as a little more chill than the rest of the country. ;)

Lord Malorne
24-11-2009, 22:57
Depends on the person not the country.

Lord Malornenis

Latro_
24-11-2009, 23:02
I can personally account for the Italians in at least Florence and Rome being some of the hardest, power-gamingest, cheatinest, fighting/arguingest mofos I have ever met. My years out there playing with them made me switch to Confrontation as my primary (a much softer croud). I'm back in 40K as my primary, but I fear what the Italians are doing out there on that boot... I have no idea how those game-barbarians have any fun!

I'm an Italian american for the record, and I have spent a few years out there, I know what I am talking about!

hehe i'v heard this rumour too, esp in fantasy. Turning upto UK gts stone faced with pro painted armies they didnt do their selves with a no holes barred win at all costs mentality.

In the main i think its all pretty average. I think in the uk we're a lil less competitive but other than that about the same.

AlmightyNocturnus
24-11-2009, 23:06
I`ve played in Japan for the better part of a decade including a few tournies and I can say there is a definite trend in Japan to pick "cool" armies only. Japanese players dislike "jokey" or "comical" armies: I`ve only seen one Ork player in 40K (out of 100 or so) and there are almost no Orc, Ogre Kingdoms, or Skaven players for WFB (although that may change with the new Skaven looking more viscious).

However, the eternal debate of "cheesy WAAC vs. fluffy themed" is just as prevalent in Japan as it is anywhere else I think.

Almighty Nocturnus

Latro_
24-11-2009, 23:10
hehe i can't imagine folks of far east asia playing 40k, seems so inherently westy, never even thought about it. Is there a big scene?

Grom Wronghand
24-11-2009, 23:13
I suppose its a very difficult question to answer. The main problem is that people will say, as they already have done, that 'I'm American and I'm not competitive at all'. While this will probably be true in many cases, exceptions do not necessarily negate the hypothesis - we are drawing from far too small a sample to suggest this. Obviously no-one is saying that ALL yanks are more competitive, but that there is a very general trend. I wouldn't actually be all that surprised if there was a trend towards differences in gaming in attitudes between different cultures, just as we may have different attitudes towards, say, economics or religion. I see no reason why wargaming would be the exception to cultural trends.

In fact, I can see (albiet very loosely) why Americans would be more competitive than Brits, but I don't want to get into politics here, so I won't. It'd probably just start arguments anyway.

From my personal experience, limited though it may be (and as I said before, it hardly counts as evidence towards anything), the most competitive player I've ever faced was American (I live in the North-West of England), whereas I've never really encountered any of the power-gamers I hear about on these forums besides him.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
24-11-2009, 23:25
I'm from the US of A, and I really don't enjoy tournaments or competitive play. In fact, I regularly get together with a mate of mine and we play homebrew missions that form in an over arching campaign we've been telling about his Chaos Warband as it ravages across several sectors of Imperial space.

It's definitely a blast.

This is pretty much the same for me. Lots of homebrew and multi-mission narrative campaigns, not a lot of tournaments.

It may be that the competitive American crowd is simply a much louder lot then the narrative crowd. Unfortunately I'm all to aware that the WAAC group in my fine country seems to think screaming like a ***** and insulting other players is an appropriate way to display "dominance" or some garbage. Not just in this hobby either.

AngryAngel
24-11-2009, 23:33
That is true, and an American saying "No we're not competitive. Well maybe they aren't, but then that's only in comparison to other American gamers. It is possible Americans are, through course of community more competitive normally then say those in England.

However it would be tough to truly figure this out.

noobzilla
24-11-2009, 23:42
As an American, I am a player who is VERY competitive and enjoys BOTH the Fluffy (sorry kitty) and gaming aspect of the game.

It has nothing to do with me being an American, I have a very competitive personality and I see the purpose of every game as being to win, except by cheating. If you cheat then you lose, regardless if you "win."

I do not play WAAC lists (I wouldn't have played guard for almost 6 years now), but build a highly competitive force using my codex and am highly competitive with it.

Whitehorn
24-11-2009, 23:53
Being English, I think it's relevant to factor in the age of the hobby and our country's heritage. Does your town have a 11th century castle? Are you surrounded by medieval tradition and history? It's very natural for me to associate with these things. As for the company, Nottingham HQ is 45 minutes drive away from me and I've been involved with GW for 20 years. Over those years the history of the game and company has prevailed over a need to win games.

How many USA-ians have these influences?

SPYDER68
24-11-2009, 23:58
GW has had official stores in the US since 1984.. So its very easy for somone here to have had been involved 20 years like you.. or longer.

Location has no difference in that.

Not sure what a castle has to do with anything with 40k.

Hadafix
25-11-2009, 00:03
Cant really say I have met any players from other countries. I can say that some players where I am play stricter to RAW than others, though there are none WAAC players, mainly because they wouldnt get any games once they were thought of as such. FW stuff is also smiled upon.

Brother Lysander
25-11-2009, 00:19
The only passing observation I've made is that if reading a discussion where talk turns to 'tier' of any sort, I'll look to the posters location, and more often than not see somewhere in the USA.

gwarsh41
25-11-2009, 00:56
I was expecting for this thread to be about how other people see people who play 40k.
I personally dont get why people who play "fantasy football" think they are better than people who play dungeons and dragons.

Anywho, to throw my two cents in. In my group of friends there are 5.
1 who is pretty bad and ONLY plays to win. She cannot have any fun if she doesnt win.
1 who is insanely anal about the measurements "thats a millimeter off, no assault for you" he is also somwhat competative and not open to trying new things.
then the last 3 including me who think the game is best played with some beer so we can properly unwind and relax.
My last game against one of the relaxed buddies. He was jokingly taking trash about how my HQ was a girly girl for shooting a gun before he charges. So i skipped my shooting phase and assaulted him. It was great fun!

baphomael
25-11-2009, 01:14
Not sure what a castle has to do with anything with 40k.

Because castles are still very 40k - Cadia, for example, is a planet made out of castle after all :p

40k is, essentially, the darkest aspects of the dark ages and middle ages set in space.

antin3
25-11-2009, 01:26
I haven't played anyone from the UK, at my LGS we have around seven regular players and three semi- regular players. Of the seven, two are VERY competitive, the rest of us play for fun. As for the other three two are competitive and the other is just there for a good time. So as far as my area we are definately beer and pretzels.
But there are many others who turn out for our local tournaments so maybe there are more competitive players who hide out until a tournaments pop up.

DaSpaceAsians
25-11-2009, 01:48
It seems that there's a trend for the asian guys at my LGS since they all play hordes or shooty or shooty hordes.

Gimp
25-11-2009, 01:55
From what I have heard from other South African's who have gone and played over seas is that South Africans are far better players but our painting skills are over all shockingly bad.

airbenderxiao
25-11-2009, 02:59
I believe is the usual gaming club that influences playing style.
as if you are in the middle of a bunch competitioners, you might very well adopt competitive lists

Deadmanwade
25-11-2009, 03:01
hehe i can't imagine folks of far east asia playing 40k, seems so inherently westy, never even thought about it. Is there a big scene?

There are a small number of players (given Japan's population), and half of the players are usually foreigners who have come here for one reason or another.
I usually find the local Japanese guys to be very passive and not too challenging to play against. I played one guy who ran his TH/SS termies away from my tactical squad because I had a power weapon in it and he didnt want to lose any models. The next turn I gunned them down with my intact tactical squad. There are some exceptions to this, but games with my Japanese friends are usually much more relaxed than when I play against other ex-pats.

Meriwether
25-11-2009, 03:06
I'm a yank, I've been playing for 20+ years, I'm very competitive and don't give even the slightest crap about narrative or fluff (and give only a very small crap about conversions and painting).

Most of the people that frequent my two LGSes care more about narrative and fluff than competitive play, so I generally stick to the minority that likes to crush one another as hard as humanly possible. We are, as far as I can tell, the exception rather than the rule.

polymphus
25-11-2009, 03:41
Both New Zealand and Skandinavia tend to be more fluffy, since their larger tournaments are very soft-score heavy and the metagame is influenced by the tournament scene. I don't know the specifics of the North, but here in NZ the largest tournaments are 45% game score, 25% comp, 15% sportsmanship and 15% painting. I haven't seen Ork bikers, lash spam or Eldar skimmer spam across the table ever.

Whitehorn
05-12-2009, 00:18
Because castles are still very 40k - Cadia, for example, is a planet made out of castle after all :p

40k is, essentially, the darkest aspects of the dark ages and middle ages set in space.

Well said.

Space marines, futuristic warriors with super armour, bionics and weaponry. They run around hitting things with swords and axes, carrying shields and wearing personal heraldry.

Phenski
05-12-2009, 00:42
Im Australian, with an American fiance and we have both lived in the UK for 2+ years each..

To the OP, it just comes down to the individual.
You may find a certain 'hobby trend' in your gaming group (fluffy/cheesy etc.) but even in that group, individual people have different 'shades' of what/how they participate in the hobby.
I know in my group ill build fluffy over competitive any time, am quite RAW, but will allow rules on-the-fly if they are cool/fun. My fiance prefers the fun/destructive side (kill as many things as you can; what range/rules etc?), my good friend is total RAW with no flexibility, two others (one Aus, one Brit) are painters and tacticians foremost but like scenarios.
But yet we all play regulary, always have fun and discuss problems/rules fairly.

Kriegfreak
05-12-2009, 01:22
If what you say is true OP, I much prefer the European/British approach to the hobby.

I don't think nationality has anything to do with it though. Its really just personal choice - and its also HIGHLY dependent upon your local gaming group.

carltmc
05-12-2009, 01:23
French players actually tend to concede when they start to lose. :p

Spanish players I've seen have awesomely painted armies, espec ially in regards to Banners/Flags.

Meriwether
05-12-2009, 02:19

I hate it when people concede. What ever happened to "even if I'm going to get tabled, I want to see how much damage I can do on the way out"?

Mannimarco
05-12-2009, 02:24
yeah its so much more fun putting on a dramatic tone of voice and saying "if I go down im taking you screaming into the cold embrace of oblivion with me!" before launching one last tank shock

ZamOne
05-12-2009, 02:34

*sigh* "cheese eating surrender monkeys" strikes again :eyebrows:

Meriwether
05-12-2009, 02:37
Ok, so we've established that there is no national stereotype, except in the minds of people who don't know what the heck they're talking about.

OP, close the thread!

AdarII
05-12-2009, 09:51
Ok, so we've established that there is no national stereotype, except in the minds of people who don't know what the heck they're talking about.

OP, close the thread!

Actually, most people who have encountered Italian players have described them as something along the lines of "some of the hardest, power-gamingest, cheatinest, fighting/arguingest mofos I have ever met".

Some people each year arrange an unofficial (Warhammer Fantasy team championship9 in Europe. There where serious suggestions about everyone just conceding to the Italians becuase they are so annoying to play against. I am sure that there are many pleasent gaming groups in Italy but when it comes to tournaments they have a well deserved bad reputation.

Oguleth
05-12-2009, 13:56
I think it's more a personal/gaming group oriented thing rather than nationality based - even if you aren't fielding very hard armies and don't tailor your list when it comes to who or what you are playing, having to think more about how to deal with competitive armies I'd say leaves an impact on your gaming.

I have only really played against danes, one russian and one american from abroad - most of them in tournaments, and they were all extremly competitive - but when you go to another country to play I suppose the majority travels somewhere to spend most of their time there in a very timeconsuming tournament timetable, and is focusing on making an impact on the tournament.

We also have some kind of region based cheeselabels - Oslo tends to get a lot of flack for it's cheesy FB enviroment, and I guess a lot of people here in Oslo rolls their eyes at the 40k armies people from a couple of places down south come up with. But it seldom seems to be more than friendly rivalry...

Meriwether
05-12-2009, 17:23
Actually, most people who have encountered Italian players have described them as something along the lines of "some of the hardest, power-gamingest, cheatinest, fighting/arguingest mofos I have ever met".

Some people each year arrange an unofficial (Warhammer Fantasy team championship9 in Europe. There where serious suggestions about everyone just conceding to the Italians becuase they are so annoying to play against. I am sure that there are many pleasent gaming groups in Italy but when it comes to tournaments they have a well deserved bad reputation.

So is there a stereotype with some legs about Italian *tournament* players? Perhaps. But for Italian players as a whole? Bah.

The stereotype in America is that they are very tournament-oriented, but most foreigners encounter Americans at tournaments... So, go figure.

Trogdor
05-12-2009, 19:56
So is there a stereotype with some legs about Italian *tournament* players? Perhaps. But for Italian players as a whole? Bah.

The stereotype in America is that they are very tournament-oriented, but most foreigners encounter Americans at tournaments... So, go figure.

And on that note, I'll close the thread as requested.