PDA

View Full Version : Is there a small scale way to play 40k?

bluekitsune13
24-11-2009, 21:43
I'm looking to see if there is a way to play 40k, but in a smaller space. I don't have room for a 6x4 table and 2000 points worth of models. I have seen some skirmish games that use 4x4 tables, but that is still too big for me. I really enjoy painting the figures more than playing with them, but I'd really like to find some small scale game where you can use a variety of models in a limited space. Does such a game exist?

Mannimarco
24-11-2009, 21:44
you thinking of 40k in 40 minutes and the combat patrol type games, these are usually pretty small games, combat patrol games are 400 pts IIRC

SPYDER68
24-11-2009, 22:04
http://www.adepticon.org/wpfiles/2009/09cp.pdf

Is what your probly looking for.

Its basically the combat patrol rules.

Trogdor
24-11-2009, 22:08
http://www.adepticon.org/wpfiles/2009/09cp.pdf

Is what your probly looking for.

Its basically the combat patrol rules.

Ooh, thanks for posting that link - I'm trying to get a mate back into 40k at the moment and he mentioned doing something like this. Much obliged!

SPYDER68
24-11-2009, 22:10
the missions there are very good for the smaller games to.. its odd playing a 500 pt vs 500pt game trying to go after d3 +2 objectives..

bluekitsune13
24-11-2009, 22:28
Hmm... well it's close. I think the ideal game would be where you can have a whole army, but only play in parts. If that makes sense. I was looking at the planetary empires tiles, and had an idea. Like if you could move your units around on the map, but only fight small skirmishes when units collide. That would allow you to field tanks and terminators. But then I don't think something like that exists currently. Maybe it would be something I could create then.

Lord Malorne
24-11-2009, 22:35
That is just a complicated way of having a large army and choosing to play with only parts of it, combat patrol is immense fun.

Lord Malornene13

The Base
24-11-2009, 23:09
Just because your table is smaller doesn't mean you can't have the same size game on it.

It's probably going to be more interesting if you force the the use of reserves in your game. Battle takes place on a smaller bit of land, but not everyone shows up to fight at the same time.

Probably work even better if you can box in the middle of the table even more with building and such so you can get more guys in a closer space without them killing each other too quickly.

Gray Hunter
25-11-2009, 01:31
If you wanted to go really small (squad versus squad) you could always modify the Necromunda rules. It's not really 40k as we know it today (Necro was originally based on the second edition 40k rules which were quite different to 40 from third edition on) but it's still a great game system, it's a hell of a lot of fun and it has an awesome campaign system.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat200210&categoryId=1100011&section=&aId=5300010

gwarsh41
25-11-2009, 01:34
I have played plenty of games on smaller tables. Even my friend who plays guardsmen will opt to play on a smaller table than not play at all (even if it means i can get into CC with him on the first turn)

Combat tactics are a blast, but later on if you get say 2000pt of army it can be fun to play on a smaller table with some rule tweaking.
I once played where it was possible to shoot into combat with blast weapons but you roll an additional D6 for scatter. This was to represent all the people trying to stop you from bombing your own men. Flamers just had to make an initiative test to be able to do it.

It was a fun game, really fast match too.

101st Vostroyan
25-11-2009, 01:41
just like The Base said, you could play games that you set up your force in waves before the game starts, and have a new wave come on each turn. That way, you could play 2000 pt games but only have part of your force on the table at a time.

Another idea is to just go down to your local store if possible, or play at a buddies place.

niceguyteddy
25-11-2009, 03:07
1. Use epic scale figures.
2. Change all ranges in inches to centimeters.

Its cheaper, easier to paint, & faster to paint.

Lord Malorne
25-11-2009, 03:34
I played a little epic, I was not interested.

Lord Malorneddy

dude37
25-11-2009, 03:59
kill-team i think works great.
it uses the same 40k rules except that there are attacks and defenders that are patrolling, the attackers have to get through and accomplish a objective without attracting too much attention, or just go in guns blazing like we orks do. but that usually fails because the defenders have a lot more guys they just come into play according to how much noise you make.

AndrewGPaul
25-11-2009, 09:09
I played a little epic, I was not interested.

Lord Malorneddy

He wasn't suggesting playing Epic, though. :)

eltanko
25-11-2009, 10:04
My LGS had a campaign during the summer called "10 minutes to save the world", I dont know the full details of it, but it was 10 mins long (duh!), 1 squad, each turn was 1 minute long. If a certain objective wasnt completed in the 10 minutes, the world blew up!!

ElTanko

Keebrev
25-11-2009, 10:42
I usually don't have room to set up a 4x6 table. We don't care, we'll play on the floor if need be. Quite taxing when playing 2000+ games, but at least we get a chance to play.

meno1
25-11-2009, 12:47
If you really like modelling and such, why not try a survival based game? Search around, and surely you can find a template for such a game, one was just on this site a few weeks ago called ZOMBIES. These are played using a main character (painted and modelled nicely) and a bunch of zombies/mutants to come at you in waves, these can really be any models. Sounded like an interesting game, and played differently to the common combat patrol game.

marv335
25-11-2009, 13:33
I made a folding game board 18" by 18" made from cork, with built on terrain, using epic models mounted on pins.
I used standard 40k rules (scaled down so that 1"=1/2cm)
it was used to play 40k on the coach to games day a couple of times.
Used a random number generator program on a palmpilot to keep track of the dice rolls.
It worked quite well, I had a few 1000pt armies for it.
I wish I knew where it is now.