PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angel Dreads

Orcdom
26-01-2006, 19:27
the 3rd edition DA Codex dont cover vehicles very well and i have searched some sites on the internet but i can never get very good pictures. and i dont own an Angels of Death codex either. but i need some pics of Dark Angel Dreadnaughts. mainly for marking placements, but also some ides where people have broken up the colors. i have 2 las/ML dreads and a Ass cannon Dread to hopefully get done before saturday.the green is done and some of the black is done n them but i am needing some ideas for the rest.

This is for my Deathwing army i am finishing up as well. and i know these arent getting painted deathwing colors but they have to fit the Dark Angel army i have as well.

I dont know if this is supposed to be in the painting forum but i didnt figure so since i am not posting pics, but if someone wants to move it then move it.

i need some pics for references please, or some good links. also some good dark angel land raider pics will do too since i have a crusader to paint yet adn maybe a regular land raide, and these arent getting deathwing colors either.

Steve

damz451
26-01-2006, 19:40
just do what you want, the uk online store has a pic of a dark angels dread in the dark angels section. For my deathwing dreads i painted them bleached bone to match my termies but its up to u

robertsjf
26-01-2006, 20:09
I concur. I believe it would be acceptable to paint a dreadnought in Deathwing colors if you wish. That being said, you might be sick of bone....

Lady's Champion
26-01-2006, 20:14
there is a pic of one on the box is there not?

odmiller
26-01-2006, 21:03
Here's how I ended up painting mine. Not the best paint jobs, but maybe they will give you some inspiration.

http://odmiller.tripod.com/id13.html

Apollyon
26-01-2006, 21:13
It would depend on what company the occupant was from
1st White
2nd Black
3rd - 10th Green

Ki-Adi-Monkey
26-01-2006, 21:26
No dreadnaughts in the second company.

Apollyon
26-01-2006, 21:30
I didn't say in I said from.

No dreadnaughts in the second company.

Wintermute
26-01-2006, 22:03
Dark Angel Dreadnoughts should be Green regardless of which company the occupant came from.

Only Termie Armour is painted Bone White.

Well, thats my opinion.

However, IA2 mentions Deathwing LRs are bone white.

Lets see what the next DA Codex says.

As already hinted at, they are your minis, so paint them how you want.

Melchor
26-01-2006, 22:06
A bone coloured dreadnought is quite cool. I should know. I have one! ;)

dean
27-01-2006, 00:02
I have one of each. The green one my fire support TL Las and ML and the deathwing has an AC and PF for up close an personal. Kinda boring and obvious but fun anyway.... The theory is that the pilot is armed with the weapons he is/was used to.

Orcdom
27-01-2006, 02:07
thanks for the info. i was painting up the LR as green as well because i could see white ones for the deathwing, but not the crusader simce they are a limited pattern.

as for painting them per company specific. i was thinking of doing them across 3 different companies.

as for sick of painting these bone, i didnt want something that big and white on the table and i did the dip method on the deathwing termies, hopefully i will have pics this coming week.

Steve

mkerr
27-01-2006, 04:08
the 3rd edition DA Codex dont cover vehicles very well and i have searched some sites on the internet but i can never get very good pictures. and i dont own an Angels of Death codex either. but i need some pics of Dark Angel Dreadnaughts. mainly for marking placements, but also some ides where people have broken up the colors. i have 2 las/ML dreads and a Ass cannon Dread to hopefully get done before saturday.the green is done and some of the black is done n them but i am needing some ideas for the rest.

My Deathwing Dreadnought is white. My 3rd Company Dreadnought is green.

The only real reference I can find to markings and such is in Imperial Armour II. There's a MkV Dreadnought of the 4th Company. The Dreadnought is green. Here's the quote:

"He bears purity seals and Chapter iconography, as well as the field badge of the 3rd Tranquility Campaign on his right leg, during which Veteran Sergeant Deis was critically wounded."

Kotobuki
27-01-2006, 05:20
2nd edition Angels of Death has the Dark Angel Dreadnaught shown with Chapter Badges [Red 'Winged Sword' icon on top of a White Circle which is outlined in Red] on the side of the Left Weapon (Missile Launcher, in this case) and the Front of the Right Shoulder Armor at the top of the panel.

Company Badges [schemes as shown for the kneepads in the troops painting section] (3rd Company in this case) "with terminator number" [painted in white over top, same font as the troop numbering] (presumably the number assigned to the dreadnaught, 1 in this instance) shown on the side of the Right Weapon (in this case a Twinlinked Lascannon) and the front of the Left Shoulder Armor beneath the top set of sensors.

The Army Badge [as shown for Terminators in the troop painting section of the codex] is worn on the Right Leg Armor, and on the Top Rear panel of the Left Shouder Armor, with the base of the image facing to the Model's Left.

Overall Coloring of the model is green. Red detailing for weapons.

Ramiel (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/Marines/ram-wip03.jpg) from my Angels of Vengeance army. Mostly shown to illustrate how I chose to show the company markings, and I have not finished the chapter markings.

DraXaus
27-01-2006, 06:14
I've seen the Game workshot staff paint their dreadnoughts white in White Dwarf. With that said, I think you're free to paint them how you like, and still keep to the fluff.

I personaly like seeing a uniform army with the colors being close to the same. So, if I see a deathwing army, I expect to see the dreadnought painted the same.

Just my opinion...

Orcdom
27-01-2006, 07:30
i know i can paint it whatever i want, i can paint it purple for that matter.
like i said i dont want to paint them white these are not just to be used with the deathwing, they are green as per the codex.

what i was asking is mainly the locations of the decals/company marking and the locations of the reds from the codex and for some pictures of variations. (and for those that posted links, thanks alot)

yes i like to see everything painted the same variation as well. but i have 3 dreads and a deathwing army and a dark angel army, i am not buying more dreads just to paint white. so with the dark angel army being larger than the deathwing army, i think the dreads will be green.

also i know some have painted the white LR's as well, but in my opinion, too much white. 31 deathwing models is enough white.

oh and BTW i couldnt find that DA dread (previously mentioned) on the UK site, all i seemed to find were freggin BT dreads.

Steve

Kotobuki
27-01-2006, 15:01
Orcdom, here (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9911010100500&orignav=10) is the classic Dark Angel Dreadnought featured in Codex: Angels of Death that I was trying to describe.

Orcdom
27-01-2006, 17:38
thanks alot, i wish i would have looked there, i was looking in the hobby section is why i didnt find it, thanks.
Steve

dean
28-01-2006, 01:37
I really believe that all DA dreads are members of deathwing anyway because the extended life they have after being entombed will allow them to figure out that something odd is going on within the inner circle. (if the dreads data banks dont tell him first)

Heinrich Jäger
28-01-2006, 18:13
I went for green, because I dont have many deathwing

Muse
28-01-2006, 23:50
Dark Angel Dreadnoughts should be Green regardless of which company the occupant came from.

In all fairness you can pick what ever colour that you want it is your army

peronaly i have gone for black (same as my terminators who are pre-heresy deathwing)

and i also agree with dean about the colour being the same as the terminators as they would have probaly been deathwing terminators before they died.

grave digger
29-01-2006, 00:20
Orcdom,

for my Deathwing army I went with DA Green for the arms/legs and have a bone white Sarcophagus (not the center with the icon). Works well for my DA standard army and my Deathwing.

For my Land Raiders/Crusaders I choose DA Green. I just can't stand seeing giant white tanks roaming the battlefield. Don't even get me started on Blood Angels and Ultras.

Diggs

Ki-Adi-Monkey
29-01-2006, 11:10
I didn't say in I said from.

No Dreads from the second company either. Dreadnaughts are not part of the 2nd company in any way.

Orcdom
29-01-2006, 13:47
No Dreads from the second company either. Dreadnaughts are not part of the 2nd company in any way.

character from 2nd company entombed in the dread is what he is getting at.
Steve

scwolf
29-01-2006, 17:06
character from 2nd company entombed in the dread is what he is getting at.
Steve

Perhaps Ki-Adi-Monkey is trying to say no one in the 2nd company ever dies?
:D

Brothergrimm
31-01-2006, 18:45
I painted my D.A ven Dread with a bone white right shoulder and termie honors to show that he had been a member of the frist company.