PDA

View Full Version : Do you plan on spending alot of money for the new Tyrand release in January?

HsojVvad
25-11-2009, 17:49
After reading someones post about GW and the release of rumours it got me thinking. Because of the lack of solid rumours or even GW giving out previews of the Tyranids release in January 2010, I am not as excited anymore as I was when i herd they would be released in January 2 months ago or so.

Well espically in this day and age of the economy, I have to plan for big purchases. All I can plan for now is a codex. I can't plan for purchesing anything else since I do not know what I want. If GW wants me to be spending my money now, I will have no money to be spending when Tyranids are released. Even if I wanted to spend my money now, I can't. I can't buy a battleforce box, I can't buy gaunts, I can't even buy a codex. (well I have it, but it's just wierd that we can't buy anything now even if we wanted to)

So for me at least, all I can say is GW will be getting only $35 from me in January because, I can't plan to be buying anything else, since I don't know what is going to be released. GW releasing a pic of a Tyranid with tenticals, got me excited for all of 5 minutes. I don't know what it is. I don't know how I can use it. I don't even know if it's a must have to be in an army. So I can't plan on saving money for it. So since I can't plan for anything, I will not be buying anything.

I guess GW dosn't care for what I think, because they might think, there are 1000 other people for ever person who is like me, so they will be getting their money no matter what. I just want to see if I am alone here. Someone who was excited but no longer in the Tyranid release. I am still interested in the release but not as excited as I was once, and now can't spend any money on it once it's released.

So my question to you guys, are you planning to be spending lots and lots of money on Tyranids on release month or will you be giving GW very little money?

the1stpip
25-11-2009, 17:53
No.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Nids hold no interest to me though.

Bolter Bait
25-11-2009, 17:59
Heh heh, déjà vu. Short answer, no. Long answer, I won't preorder anything, not even the codex. I'm entirely content to wait for it to become available in stores, buy it then, and then plan my purchases around filling holes or complimenting what I already have.

I'm not feeling much excitement about the upcoming release. I'm not feeling much excitement about the hooby in general. I feel that this may become yet another thing that goes in a box, comes out once in a while to distract me for a brief time, and then put it away. More rumours might pique my attention, or maybe I'm already on my way out regardless of what happens.

marv335
25-11-2009, 17:59
No.
I'll buy the codex, just so I know what I'll be facing, but the army itself has never really gripped my interest.
I can't collect an army that doesn't inspire me.

viking657
25-11-2009, 18:01
I personally, like with wolves, will buy the codex then a few weeks later start buying bits to paint up.
When it was guard the leaks and built up, that now does not exist for new armies, meant I bought a lot of stuff all at once and was happy.

the only person that loses here is GW as I will buy nids but in my own good time as they are failing to excite me about new releases.
I ended up with 1000's of points of new guard this year which I love but not the case with wolves and I doubt it will be the case with nids

Caanos
25-11-2009, 18:04
I plan to buy the codex the day it comes out, but that's about it for the January-Febuary months. The reason is two-fold. One, I'm pre-orderding Bioshock 2. Second, I already have a 2000 point 'Nid list, so I'll just be looking through the codex, and figuring out what's going to stay, and what I might like. Then, it'll go to testing before I buy anything.

Vepr
25-11-2009, 18:14
Right now I only have plans for the codex and I am not exactly stoked about this release anymore.

HsojVvad
25-11-2009, 18:27
I plan to buy the codex the day it comes out, but that's about it for the January-Febuary months. The reason is two-fold. One, I'm pre-orderding Bioshock 2. Second, I already have a 2000 point 'Nid list, so I'll just be looking through the codex, and figuring out what's going to stay, and what I might like. Then, it'll go to testing before I buy anything.

Just curious, not trying to make this should GW release rumours etc, there are other threads for this, but would you buy more if they released pics and what not of what will be in the codex?

Right now I only have plans for the codex and I am not exactly stoked about this release anymore.

Me either. Actually I am quite bummed out right now. I was soooo stoked when I herd Tyranids were going to be released, and then an offical announcment with codex cover pic, I was in my glory. Now I am meh, ok, I can wait for January now. In September, (or was that late August?) I could 't wait for January 2010 to come, now I can wait till January 2011 or a Tyarnid release now.

I am glad to see I am not alone.

leonmallett
25-11-2009, 18:32
No, except to add some of the new plastic units. I have circa 2000 pts painted already, and another 1000-1500 awaiting painting 'in the future', so not much to get really.

SPYDER68
25-11-2009, 18:36
Poll should have had an option of.

I dont play tyranids.

Your going to get alot of no's from people who dont like/have/play the army.

Zanzibarthefirst
25-11-2009, 18:41
As i already have a fully painted nid army i'll just pick up a few of the new things, maybe another carnifex or two. Codex I always buy on the day or release but the other stuff i'll buy when ever i have money

CthulhuDalek
25-11-2009, 18:43
Instead of making that a polling option, those people should just not respond if they don't intend on buying anything...

I'd be a lot more excited if I saw some plastic gargoyles and more rumours... maybe they'll leak some more rumours just before release to get us salivating?

There are a couple new units I'd like to get, to compliment what I already have, but I can't see any overhauling... but who knows what the new codex may bring?

LonelyPath
25-11-2009, 18:44
I buy the codex, but I don't see myself purchasing much else. Maybe some raveners if the budget stretched far enough and a Trygon at a later date (several months down the line).

DCLXVI
25-11-2009, 19:03
...the only person that loses here is GW as I will buy nids but in my own good time as they are failing to excite me about new releases
..pretty much sums it up for me too.
I feel like I should be getting excited about the new stuff, but at the moment I just feel *meh, I'll see what's in the codex and take it from there*
If I knew what to expect, prices etc, then I could save up but this current rumour lockdown means I'll just wait and see instead...
Way to go GW! :rolleyes:

Souleater
25-11-2009, 19:06
It depends.

I have a lot of Nids already. However I will have bday and xmas cash.

See what comes out in the dex.

SPYDER68
25-11-2009, 19:07
because its so hard to know the release is in Jan.. to save up some extra incase you have something you want to buy ?

If they dont.. then you have extra money saved.. win win.

WH40KAj
25-11-2009, 19:12
It depends.

I have a lot of Nids already. However I will have bday and xmas cash.

See what comes out in the dex.

Same here, I have a bday n xmas coming in the next month and would love to preorder somethings... The short pre-order times bug me a bit as well. I cant know much until a week before my birthday at the earliest... (black box)

Neffertech
25-11-2009, 19:23
I'm planning to pre order 2 of each box and 3 of each blister/metal box. Just to beef up my current army.

Later I'll add more of the new units once I see which I like to use and need more of.

I've already got a huge stack of Magnets of various sizes to continue my trend of magnetizing units.

primarch16
25-11-2009, 19:23
Tempting, since my brother gave me his nid force so I have mountains of gaunts and the standard stuff. But I'll probably never get round to it. Option 3 I'll take.

Caanos
25-11-2009, 19:26
Just curious, not trying to make this should GW release rumours etc, there are other threads for this, but would you buy more if they released pics and what not of what will be in the codex?

Honestly? Probably not. My budget is fairly strict, so I tend to buy on usefulness and such, rather then just wanting a model. So, I'd actually rather read the rules on a unit and buy it based on that, then just say "Oh, that looks cool, I'm getting that." The only model that I'll probably get JUST to get, even if the rules don't work, is the Trygon. I'm still as excited as the day I found out about the new release, but then again, I'm a die-hard 'Nid player since the days of the third-edition codex.

Kelderaith
25-11-2009, 20:37
I chose option 2. On the release date, I will probably only get the codex. I probably won't buy anything for at very least 2-3 weeks because I want to really "master" the new codex (not really through ultra tight play testing, as I will be back at University) but at least know it by rote. And then I will probably buy 1-2 things just to keep me busy till summer, which is where I buy most of my stuff (because this is where I can work with my student's schedule, and as such my income is pretty much only centered there).

Also, I already have about 5k points of nids, I think that I can do something with only the codex for a while...

Gray Hunter
25-11-2009, 20:51
I'll probably just get the Codex. I love the fluff, I love the models, I'd love to paint them, I'd love to play them on the tabletop. But I blew my entire year's hobby budget when the new Space Wolves came out, so I must heroically resist the Tyranids. I was so bummed when they announced that 'Nids were the next Codex after Wolves. My two favourite armies, redone back to back.

Games Workshop - knowing exactly how to empty my wallet since 1975. An I wasn't even born until fething 1979!

Angelwing
25-11-2009, 20:51
well, I'll get the codex first to check unit sizes for the new stuff. Then I'll decide what a decent unit size is for brand new stuff and buy those. I also buy a box each of the new models that are replacing old models (gargoyles etc). If any 'old' units get new interesting options then I'll probably get a fresh unit to equip with the new options.
I've got some money reserved and will be working a few days overtime between now and release to cover the costs. I expect to drop £100 minimum on new stuff.

MasterDecoy
25-11-2009, 21:34
Ill get the codex of course, Re-jig my current army, see what needs shuffling, work out my new "completed army vision" and go from there.

puppetmaster24
25-11-2009, 21:40
i will be spending money but not on nids. my birthday is on the 15th. win.

Ravenous
25-11-2009, 21:44
I guess GW dosn't care for what I think, because they might think, there are 1000 other people for ever person who is like me, so they will be getting their money no matter what.

Yeah... its pretty sad that for every smart shopper there will be hundreds of tards willing to drop money on the stuff and totally justifying anything GW does.

But thats the same with all things.

Im just getting the codex and if it doesnt suck then I'll make an army later on. I already know of people buying all the old Nid stock from stores and throwing together armies based on a test play codex they found online :rolleyes:

Zeroth
25-11-2009, 21:59
Short answer, yeah..

When it comes to Warhammer I completely loose my mind and what little I have of economical intelligence and buy more than I can paint or glue for a year.

I'm like a woman in a shoe store, and not an ordinary woman, more a Sex and the City kind of woman.

Hicks
25-11-2009, 22:07
I'll get some new units if they appeal to me, but I already have lots of nids and don't feel like painting that much more of them. The codex is really what I can't wait to get.

Harms66
25-11-2009, 22:39
No right away. I am currently enjoying creating a Imperial Guard Mech army, but at a later stage the prospect the recreating a scene from Spaceship Trooper does appeal.

A Big Bug hunt
Shoot a nuke down a bug hole, you got a lot of dead bugs

Lyonator
25-11-2009, 22:48
Seriously, no option for "zero interest?"

Nids hold zero appeal for me, aside from enjoying mowing down hordes of gaunts.

hendybadger
25-11-2009, 22:49
Simple answer. YES!
I am a Tyranid maga-fan-freak.
And Im model driven, not rule/game driven.
Dont care whats in the book. I just want things to convert.

Putty
25-11-2009, 23:06
....So my question to you guys, are you planning to be spending lots and lots of money on Tyranids on release month or will you be giving GW very little money?

#1. Buy Codex
#2. Playtest with proxies
#3. Buy what is needed
#4. Playest somemore
#5. Fine tuning

RealMikeBob
25-11-2009, 23:24
May pick up the codex out of curiosity. Gave most of my nids away a month or two ago. All that remains is my core of beloved 2nd ed models :)

HsojVvad
25-11-2009, 23:31
Seriously, no option for "zero interest?"

Nids hold zero appeal for me, aside from enjoying mowing down hordes of gaunts.

Ah, So I did forget something in the poll. Sorry about that.

misterboff
25-11-2009, 23:38
I'll be picking up the Codex on release day, but won't buy anything else until I've had a good read because I don't really know what the Codex is gonna be like.

I'm a bit annoyed that there were no Tyranid models on display at Games Day UK this year, especially after the past 2 years previewed the Ork releases for the following January.

I've got plenty to keep me busy though...

misterboff

blackroyal
26-11-2009, 00:08
When it comes to Warhammer I completely loose my mind and what little I have of economical intelligence and buy more than I can paint or glue for a year.

I'm like a woman in a shoe store, and not an ordinary woman, more a Sex and the City kind of woman.

I really want to sig this... but I think I will refrain.

OT: I will buy the codex and see If i want to keep my 17K army... or just sell the stupid thing. The last 3 years I have been completely turned off nids.

Ironhand
26-11-2009, 00:37
I've already got plenty of Nid models, but I'll buy the Codex and at least one of each of the new releases.

Phelix
26-11-2009, 03:59
Imma gonna loot me a Carnifex to use in the Feral Ork army Ive been wanting to build.... hopefully they get a new fex, but I guess the old one would be just as good (or something else big and scary looking)

megatrons2nd
26-11-2009, 04:15
I voted no, just the codex. However I won't really be doing even that. I thought about getting Nids along time ago and nothing to date has changed my thoughts on the army. It will need to be a spectacular release for me to reconsider my original thoughts. Even then it will take a year or more to get anything.

Jinra
26-11-2009, 09:19
Depending on the new rules I may stop collecting Nids.

So really its all down to the codex for me, the current one is pretty Shi$e in 5th.
Once I get my hands on it, have a good read, choose weather or not I'll continue. Then I will buy what I need.

Thud
26-11-2009, 11:07
I'll buy the codex and nothing else.

I certainly won't start buying Tyranid Warriors left and right to make an army of nothing but Warriors, no sir! At least that's what I keep telling myself. If I repeat it enough times it will hopefully turn out that way.

brotheraziel
26-11-2009, 12:34
If the codex is going out in a box with a battleforce, sure i'm going to give a shot to this box. If not, the codex will come to my house with a bunch of the new stuff; Trygon, plastic raveners, plastic gargoyles etc, etc, etc :D So it's a yes, i;m planning to spend a lot of cash on Tyranids

The boyz
26-11-2009, 13:10
I may be tempted to buy the Codex and a few other bits and pieces, but that would be about it. I've still got to finish off a few other projects first.

Codsticker
26-11-2009, 13:20
I'll buy the codex as I have a small tyranid force. If Genestealers aren't troops then I won't be getting anything else as I have tentative plans to build an all-genestealer army.

Cheeslord
26-11-2009, 14:09
I'll get the Codex, and maybe a Hive Tyrant (unless theres something more interesting released), but currently I have only the basic Nid battleforce + 3 extra warriors, so I feel the need for more synapse to balance things out (maybe the Tyrant will be able to mount some kind of new gun that can threaten vehicles).

Mark.

TimLeeson
26-11-2009, 14:21
I might buy some plastic gargoyles if thy are nice enough, to do another minor-xeno race army..but otherwise im more interested in making my own sculpts fot my own game lately.

Onisuzume
26-11-2009, 14:29
Well, seeing as I already have a good 4000 points worth of 'nids, I'll probably just be getting the codex and a few of the new units (Trygon anyone?).

Radium
26-11-2009, 14:39
Just the codex. Not interested in starting the army, but I do like to know what they will be capable of.

Luisjoey
26-11-2009, 14:42
i already have 2 battalions, a broodlord and 2 lictors; i was about to begin since january.

BUT!

Now i have a good excuse to play nids again!

The Orange
26-11-2009, 14:52
I'm not a big collector of Nids (it's really my brothers army, I just make'em :D) so I might pick up the codex, or I might hold off till later. TBH with all of the release PP will be doing in the same time frame it's almost certain I won't be spending on 'nids. All I can say is that PP have gotten me pumped up and excited (even though I play Hordes), GW hasn't.

Mannimarco
26-11-2009, 14:57
i might pick up the codex, ive no intentions of actually making an army but im sure there will be lots more nid players popping up so it never hurts to know thy enemy

Lars Porsenna
26-11-2009, 15:05
Just the book. Already have a mostly-genestealer force I can use, hopefully all-genestealers will be legal. But beyond that nothing on launch day besides that...

Damon.

Black Antelope
26-11-2009, 17:56
Ill get the 'dex when I'm first in the store (its quite a way away for me). After that, it'll depend on the contence of the 'dex.

Probably grab some more gaunts (80 just aint enough:p) and warriors no matter what.
However, if they bring out plastic gargs, I will definatly get me a box or 2.
Would be interested in a plastic Malathrope.

Nothing else really.

Souleater
26-11-2009, 18:21
All I can say is that PP have gotten me pumped up and excited (even though I play Hordes), GW hasn't.

Yeah...my main army is Nids but I'm just not excited about them right now. The new Cryx stuff..mmm...shiney...and I don't even play WM/H atm...

Thinking about how limited my funds are going to be after moving into our new house in a couple of weeks I think I may well opt for getting the codex first and having a damned good playthrough before blowing money on stuff I may not use.

I'm spending more time at the moment idly surfing ebay and drafting GK armies. :confused: I've worked up a new paint scheme for my nids but...Codex Nids is really something nice rather than 'OMFGGOSHWOWCANTWAIT'

Maybe when I start seeing teaser models I'll get bitten by the bug :angel:

owen matthew
26-11-2009, 18:42
I have a massive tyranid army already, so its just codex and the smattering of you-need-this-now-to-stay-competative units GW will invariably stuff into the book to target people like me.

owen matthew
26-11-2009, 18:54
Jinra, personally, I do not think the existing codex is all that bad in 5th.

dblaz3r
26-11-2009, 21:22
i already have 2 battalions, a broodlord and 2 lictors; i was about to begin since january.

I've got a few more units but basically the same deal so I'll just be buying the codex and working on finishing what I already have before expanding.

I will be expanding greatly at some stage though. ;)

Norsehawk
26-11-2009, 23:10
As someone who took advantage of all/almost all of the Apocalypse Tyranid releases, about the only thing that I might need are gargoyles if the rumors about plastic ones are true and they don't look horrid.

That and I need to decide on a paint scheme and start painting.

IcedAnimals
27-11-2009, 01:02
I won't be buying the models the bits or the dex. GW will not get a penny from me on tyranid releases. But hey I don't play nids. They will probably get some more imperial guard and sisters cash from me.

fwacho
27-11-2009, 01:36
I've got two weeks around christmas with tons of time to paint. then not so much. Consequently, I'm gonna have to pony up for old stuff and hope it works out. Would love to get my hand on a codex or even a few stats so I could make a feasable plan. (sad thing is I don't want a lot of guants)

Kymmerus
27-11-2009, 01:39
I'm a Nid loving idiot and will likely purchase copious quantities of new Tyranids once I determine what the max squad sizes of them will be.... I want plastic gargoyles in quantities that will darken the skies!

ReveredChaplainDrake
27-11-2009, 07:46
Well let's put it this way... You know what I'm asking for for Christmas? A giant gift card. You know what I asked for for my birthday last October (not counting Space Hulk)? A giant gift card. I simply don't know what's in store, so I'm probably not going for a lot of new stuff. I just don't know enough, but I'm preparing to be, dare I say, pleasantly surprised...

I heard something about remodeled Gaunts. If the new art is anything to go by, no thanks, I'll stick with my 3rd edition Gaunts. I find it really disorienting to have major cosmetic differences in a horde that's supposed to be a faceless blob of bodies. Thus, new Hormagaunts + old Hormagaunts? Not gonna' happen.

I also fully expect the Toxatroph to suck hard, simply because at least one of the new releases has to suck. It's practically a law. And I'm confident that the Toxatroph is it. I mean... it's armed with Lash Whips! Lash Whips! Unless they're the Malanthrope-esque super Zoanthrope I've been foretelling since a Fandex I wrote over a year ago, I really can't see myself fielding one of these things. A guaranteed metal model also seals its fate. If I wanted metal models that weren't crap on the tabletop, I'd finish that Bloodcrusher pack.

The Trygon, on the other hand, is a different story altogether. Given the codex's author, and the Trygon's comparable size to a Valkyrie and comparable role to a Drop Pod (considering the FW Trgon's tunnel rule), I fully expect "the Trygon list" to be a hard contender in any CC army, especially one that fields smaller CC monsters like Warriors and Screamer-Killers. I also expect (1) the Red Terror to be a Trygon, and (2) for the Red Terror to be the absurdly broken thing in the Codex. I mean... Swallow Whole... In a meta of "let's screw over Eternal Warriors" set by the Space Wolves codex and their JotWW, if the Red Terror is anything like it used to be, that Swallow Whole rule will not only return, but it'll be perversely overpowered. And for once, I want in on the ground floor.

The Pyrovore also sounds slightly interesting, but I really don't see this as much of a contender in any of my lists considering that (1) Tyranid anti-tank may be more manageable with CC this go-around, and (2) the Pyrovore is likely also metal, ergo not worth using unless it's a to-die-for unit.

If I have any spare money left (which I don't expect), I'll get some more Carnifexes and actually magnetize them. And this time I know what I'm doing, unlike with my "successful" attempts to magnetize my Tau Crisis Suits...

Foolish Mortal
27-11-2009, 08:15
I may well have a flick through the Codex to see what the fluff is like, and if it's any good I'll probably get it , but other than that I have no real interest in the 'nids.

I'm not a gamer, and only buy stuff that I can loot for bits, or that appeal to me, regardless of which army they are from, but somehow the 'nids have just never grabbed my attention in any way.

Gandair
27-11-2009, 11:42
I have few purchases planned for next year despite my army being arguably "small" at 4k points. Probably Codex + Battleforce, but maybe Codex + Trygon (if it is made) since my friends play apoc and I'm the only one who doesn't play. My other purchase will be in late march, a Heirophant or Barbed Hamster and maybe a pair of pewter figs. Other cash goes into new Protectorate of Menoth stuff for War Machine.