PDA

View Full Version : Dragging myself back kicking and screaming

cpl_hicks
25-11-2009, 18:36
I have not played a game of 40k since the end of 4th edition, this has been mainly due to a lack of mates to play with (they grew up I didnt :D). So I have decided that now I have completed my assignments I am going to drag myself kicking and screaming back into the game.

As its effectevly been 2 whole editions since I played a game, I have decided that I am going to start completly from scratch, but because I havent played for a long time I actually know little about the way the hobby has gone. (I have been lurking on warseer but that really dosent count :D)

I am going to my local GW this weekend to get the stuff to start my new army (Space Marines), and I dont want to appear a tootal n00b. So I am asking you fellow Warseers to help me in my hour of need - what has been going on in the last two editions of 40k?

Hopefully within a couple of weeks I should have an army list as well as some trial models painted up.

LonelyPath
25-11-2009, 18:48
Since it's 5th edition now, you're only moving onto the next edition and it's not that different except that alot of marine players seem to enjoy fully mechanised armies and a fair amount of melta weapons scattered across the army.

Best to buy the 5th edition codex, Assault on Black reach and settle down to read through the rules and the codex, planning out an army after. Of course, you can still use your older minis as well, they're still valid.

EDIT - I recommend Assault on Black reach for the miniatures, the Dreadnought and Terminators are worth the price of it and you can sell what oyu don't want and end up with a great bargain ;)

Mort
25-11-2009, 19:03
Welcome back!

Well, since we still have 5th edition you didnt miss too much:

The missions have changed, its all about taking objectives with your standard troops choices or denying them with the rest. (2/3 of the games). 1/3 of the games are kill points, pretty simple mechanic saying you get a KP for every unit you destroy.
(Which causes some controversity in the community)

Shooting wise the word of the hour is "true line of sight" although the system has some faults.
Close Combat can be more devastating than before, depending on the army you play. (marines dont have any problems,high five!)
That abova all are the main changes rules wise, there are some minor other changes, like new vehicle damage charts, streamlined special rules and such things, but that would take too long to explain and doesnt make that much of a difference if you have played 3rd or 4th.Basically its still the same game.

Main Difference is that most codex books now encourage the gamer to use special characters to "unlock" new rules or just for the sake of having strong HQ selections.
Codex wise, you have missed:

Orks, lots of infantry, return of some very old stuff like the Shokk Attack Gun.

Chaos Marines, new codex but nothing new in the end.

Chaos Demons, completly new Faction based on deep striking elements and an emphasis on Close Combat (surprise, surprise)

Imperial Guard, Load of new tanks and Artillery, a new Skimmer and some nice new units as well as a System for giving orders to your troops whith your HQ.

Dark Angels Codex, the 5th ed Marine Codex "Prototype" with Deathwing and Ravenwing added.

Space Wolves Codex, the newest one, and therefore the most overrated and hyped by many players.

Space marine Codex, lots of new Toys, like Scout Bikers, a Transport land Speeder and an Artillery Cannon.Furthermore new Veteran Squads and a lot of new Special Characters.

Fluffwise, theres nothing new, Squats are still dead, the Emperor still rules (although the Mechanicus needs to change the batteries in the Throne soon) and everybody kills everone else.

primarch16
25-11-2009, 19:25
Lots of ideas already so I'll just add I did the same thing as you a while ago and didnt buy the new rulebook, after a couple of games you'll get the hang of it easy.

cpl_hicks
27-11-2009, 23:50
Cheers for the info guys, while I have happened to pick up bits and pieces here and there its always good to get a run down of whats going on.

Shooting wise the word of the hour is "true line of sight" although the system has some faults.

Its good to know that this is now 'standard', whenever I played I always tried to use true line of sight - even when people hated the fact that my anti-tank squad could get a hit on their Leman Russ's side armour.

Close Combat can be more devastating than before, depending on the army you play. (marines dont have any problems,high five!).

I decided to go with Space Marines as lets face it they are the starter army and allow a person to make the most 'mistakes' while still having a good flexability

Imperial Guard, Load of new tanks and Artillery, a new Skimmer and some nice new units as well as a System for giving orders to your troops whith your HQ.

Its good to see that my old army got some new toys :D, after getting a good sized Marine army I might dust of my Guard, and I might finally start my Krieg :skull:

Well I am going to my local GW to pick up a Space Marine codex and Black Reach tomorrow - hopefully I will be able to get out the store without being 'attacked' by a red/black/blue shirt (no doubt they will have changed again)

Hopefully I will be posting a army list early next week and maybe some painted models nearer the end of the week.

IcedAnimals
28-11-2009, 00:08
why is it kicking and screaming if its something you enjoy? shouldn't you just be a quick "come on and play" hand wave gesture.

cpl_hicks
28-11-2009, 00:18
I've not played for a couple of years, I've not go into a GW store for longer and none of my close mates play any more, so its not only getting back into the game but just knowing I am going to get my ass handed to me by some little 12 year old.

But I say kicking and screaming now, give it a couple of months and I will be back in the flow :D

cpl_hicks
07-12-2009, 18:38
Well I went into my local GW last weekend (not the one just gone) and picked up a codex and Black Reach, I have to say that the staff in my local where really helpful, and only one of them tried to hard sell me :D. They also mentined the games night on thursdays and the fact that there is a club in my town. (I am sure that I have beaten one of the staff, when he wasen't stafff with my imperial guard)

Its going to be after xmas now until I actually get a game in(due to the local GW game night being cancelled for the holidays) so this does actually give me longer to decide on an army list (I have created a couple so far but they just dont feel 'right', and I am just getting used to the new units that I get to play with), as well as decide on a colour scheme, get some marines bought and painted as well as reading thorugh the little rulebook in black reach.

I am hoping to get an army list/s posted on Warseer by the end of this week, as well as a colour scheme (If i can find the interactive GW space marine painter (I dont like the B&C one)) I should get some ideas up sooner.

I am not sure if this topic will actually become more of a project log ornot, but if it does I will get it moved accordingly.