PDA

View Full Version : Which army allows the most artisic licence

Hadafix
25-11-2009, 21:03
A house mate of mine was admiring the paintwork on my BT (which I suppose is of a reasonable quality) and showed a bit of interest in the game.

I was thinking it would be cool if I could get him hook on the plastic crack as well as it would give me a regular opponent. (selfish? yeah probably:P)

He seemed interested in the painting side of things, so I was wondering what would is the most interesting army to paint?

I was thinking =][= or Eldar.

Monster Rain
25-11-2009, 21:05
Daemonhunters have a spectacular model range, and their stuff is so costly points-wise that he could have a painted force up and running in no time.

The side of a Grey Knights Land Raider could be an excellent canvas for a skilled painter.

MasterDecoy
25-11-2009, 21:21
Nids, you can convert them into almost anything and they are still codex legal.

On top of that you can paint them any which way you want.

marv335
25-11-2009, 21:29
Eldar.
If you're into freehand painting, they are the army for you.

Lostzilla
25-11-2009, 21:34
- Eldars (cool models)
- Imperial guard (cool valkyries, cool tanks, cool valkyries, awesome forgeworld stuff, nice chimeras, awesome valkyries, did I say fantastic valkyries?)
- Tyranids (you can do anything you want, convert and paint).

PatrikW
25-11-2009, 21:46
Eldar or chaos.

Eldar have nice miniatures that can be beautifully painted.
Chaos can be made to look like anything so you can really make your vision of chaos shine.

He Who Thirsts
25-11-2009, 21:55
Well, thats a tough one.

I would go with Space Marines or Chaos Marines.

Necrons are usually metallics.

Eldar like bright stuff and their dark cousins like dark stuff.

Orks, we all know about what orks are supposed to look like.

Imperial Guard favor greens.

Tau are like eldar, they favor bright colors.

Daemonhunters and Daemons you could probably do whatever you want.

catbarf
25-11-2009, 21:59
Guard can be themed lots of different ways.

Tyranids are great for painting natural schemes.

jlmb_123
25-11-2009, 22:00
Definitely CSM's, you can do no evil with them. Actually, the point is to do evil, but forgive me this time. The only drawback I see with the SM and CSM's from a pure beginner's point of view is that it's hell putting them together, what with having guns seperate from arms.

MistaGav
25-11-2009, 22:06
If you really want to get into the painting then perhaps a Titan. Even if you scratch build one they offer a lot of space for freehand and other designs on.

Bunnahabhain
25-11-2009, 22:06
I was thinking it would be cool if I could get him hook on the plastic crack as well as it would give me a regular opponent. (selfish? yeah probably:P)

Start him on the good stuff straight away- FW Resin.

Imperium or Chaos are your best bets for a resin heavy army.

IcedAnimals
25-11-2009, 22:07
Interesting army to paint? That is a tough one, But if you want plain interesting to hobby then go inquisition. Inquisitors + henchmen have infinite possibilities for modeling and painting.

Absolutionis
25-11-2009, 22:23
Arguably, Eldar have always been the "painter's army" because they look mediocre at tabletop quality and look great when you take care. Personally, I think some of the best painted models out there are Eldar.
Their Aspect Warriors come in different colors and they have many curves and flat surfaces that allow you to freehand designs.

For showing off painting, I disagree with people above when they say Tyranids. Tyranids may look amazing on the bigger models, but the medium-sized models and especially the smaller models are so plentiful that you need to speed paint. Plus, Tyranids look pretty good if you simply apply base coats and a wash. I can paint a single Gaunt in a little over 5min and have it look acceptable.

Galatan
25-11-2009, 22:49
A house mate of mine was admiring the paintwork on my BT (which I suppose is of a reasonable quality) and showed a bit of interest in the game.

He seemed interested in the painting side of things, so I was wondering what would is the most interesting army to paint?

I was thinking =][= or Eldar.

From a pure painting point of view Eldar would be the best bet. The army begs for beautiful bright colours and freehands.

For a good striking army in which you have lots of inspirational sources and free reign for converting and colours I would say guard and CSM.
Guard tanks are awesome for weathering techniques, conversions and freehands. Also because it's mech contains a lot of tanks a good bright colour scheme can really make an army shine of the table.
Chaos is just a dream for anybody with a wild (and slightly evil) imagination. With chaos anything goes and for real artists that could be lots of fun.

It's either that or give him the full load with shrooms, horse tranquilisers, crack and what not and show him some of the excellent FW resin. Initial prices might look steep, but if you allow yourself to spend about 30-40 pounds a month on it and make it good army list you can easily have a 1700 pts army going within a year.

MasterDecoy
25-11-2009, 22:59
Arguably, Eldar have always been the "painter's army" because they look mediocre at tabletop quality and look great when you take care. Personally, I think some of the best painted models out there are Eldar.
Their Aspect Warriors come in different colors and they have many curves and flat surfaces that allow you to freehand designs.

For showing off painting, I disagree with people above when they say Tyranids. Tyranids may look amazing on the bigger models, but the medium-sized models and especially the smaller models are so plentiful that you need to speed paint. Plus, Tyranids look pretty good if you simply apply base coats and a wash. I can paint a single Gaunt in a little over 5min and have it look acceptable.

nids dont look good individualy (usually) they really shine when you see them en-masse on the table

Hadafix
25-11-2009, 23:04
=][= I know has a lot of bits that can look out standing and is pure grandstanding if done well, like that throne thingy and the skull and bits on the vehicles.

I have heard that the Eldar are the painters choice, and he went first to the Eldar section when I showed him the GW site. But I am yet to beat an Eldar force.:(

I am not so sure on normal SM, Nids, IG or Ork as the paint scheme is normally done in blocks or is a HUGE army even at low points, that said I may point him towards FW.

Necrons I think fit the above, as do Tau. Have Tau got much "normal" stuff by FW?

I would point to the CSM, bit given that hes French and I am English I would have to do it in a away that did not seem politic.

Thinking of trying to get him to go to GW with me next games night, the sale people there are "paid" to find someone an army... He'll probably get sold SW:D:eek:

SimpleSquid
25-11-2009, 23:08
First off to all the people talking aboout FW, i hope your joking :) While the models are great and offer fantastic modeingl/painting projects they aren't for someone just coming into the hobby. i'd go with eldar or chaos as others have suggested, or if the guy really wants to model over paint orks would be good

catbarf
25-11-2009, 23:36

The exoskeleton can be just a basecoat and wash but for the carapace, some patterning can look striking on the tabletop and up close. You can practice freehand on every single model in the army. And if number of models is an issue, consider a Warrior-heavy army.

The Laughing God
26-11-2009, 04:56
Eldar and dark eldar are good choices, as well as tyranids. You could also have some fun with chaos daemons.

the1stpip
26-11-2009, 07:20
Orks and Chaos, but especially Orks, anything is possible and quite likely when it comes to Greenskins.

Dranthar
26-11-2009, 08:10
If it's purely painting that he's interested in, then Eldar seem to be a popular choice.

The Inquisition (the proper kind - not all Grey Knights or all Sisters) might be another good choice. They offer alot of opportunities for individualised pieces and the models tend to have a great deal of personality.

Orks are King when it comes to converting, followed closely by Chaos Marines.

And if you want an army that looks great irrespective of painting skill, you can't go wrong with Nurgle. :D

Sir_Turalyon
26-11-2009, 09:32
Imperial Guard closely followed by Orks. You can pick almost any theme and convert the Guard to look it (most of other armies borrow themes from various aspects of human cultures - Guard can come from any human culture you want). Guardsmen kits can be (and fluffwise are) as individualized or as uniform as these of most other armies, under-strength regiments from different worlds are combined into new ones so you can switch to new theme / model range when you feel done with current one, and there is always room for one more squad / platoon to apply newest idea on.

Orks are almost as good as Guard, as long as theme(s) you pick are "Orky" - which is still a broad spectrum.

genestealer_baldric
26-11-2009, 09:53
orks, guard, nids,

Nehemiah
26-11-2009, 10:52
[QUOTE=Hadafix;4160232]=][= I know has a lot of bits that can look out standing and is pure grandstanding if done well, like that throne thingy and the skull and bits on the vehicles.

I have heard that the Eldar are the painters choice, and he went first to the Eldar section when I showed him the GW site. But I am yet to beat an Eldar force.:(
QUOTE]

If he seems interested in Eldar it would probably be the best one for him to start with. The Inquisition is great, but all the Sisters of Battle and Grey Knight models are metal, so are expensive and not easy to convert.

Besides if you are playing Black Templars, Eldar are your natural enemy and you should practice smiting them at every chance.

Petay1985
26-11-2009, 11:50
I really think the question posed has no correct answer, i would simly recommend talking him through the different armies, show him the models and pics, give him an idea of what armies Ģ to Pts ratios are like, for example guard could be a poor one for a beginner where as Inquisition could be a winner.

I think all armies have potential for conversion and fantastic painting depending on the skill of the person in question and their ability to convey their imagination.

Best of luck with this, i think its great that you're potentially getting your house mate involved! :)

Incoming
26-11-2009, 14:24
Eldar for you.

Sorros
26-11-2009, 14:28
Eldar are great, and you can convert with them to Exodites or Corsairs, etc. I myself am working on a squad of exodite knights (Guardian jetbikes) right now, and have about 2-3 squads of Exodite conversion infantry.

The main issue with Eldar is that they are somewhat expensive, as metal elites are 30 USD for only 5-6 models, and grav tanks are ~45 USD (including tax). I also find that converting is expensive, though some truly beautiful results can spring from dark elf/high elf/wood elf/Eldar guardian sprues when combined, with great poses and armour/weapons to paint. The problem with that is that you either need to buy several boxes of Fantasy and Guardians/Dire Avengers just to build a squad, or you need to know someone who has a ton of bits from both :p

HsojVvad
26-11-2009, 14:34
- Eldars (cool models)
- Imperial guard (cool valkyries, cool tanks, cool valkyries, awesome forgeworld stuff, nice chimeras, awesome valkyries, did I say fantastic valkyries?)

No you didn't say fatastic valkyries. You caid "cool" valkyries :p

I say GK, they look spectacular when painted buitufully. How about a forge world Titan? Maybe the Mars Patteren Titan? Then again, that wouldn't let any money for anything else :skull:

Thibbledorf_Pwent
26-11-2009, 14:46
I have to go with Eldar, Chaos, or Orks
Eldar have some models that just beg wild colour schemes, like Harlequins, Avatars and Howling Banshees

Chaos(Daemons or Marines) The sky is the limit with what you can do with them. Shoot, you could make a marine who has a head at the end of every limb and it would be Chapter Approved

And Orks... well, da boyz speaks for demselvz

Aubec le noir
26-11-2009, 15:50
for me for only artistic purpose there's 2 armies :
- the inquisition army (DH and WH) for its baroque imaging
- the tzeentch army for the possible use of every colour in the spectre
Aubec :chrome:

Lord Raneus
26-11-2009, 18:31
Space Marines give a lot of options for creative painting as well, they aren't locked into certain colors like a lot of the Eldar units are. Plus, the models themselves offer a lot of areas to put different colors.

Zujara
26-11-2009, 18:38
Tzeentch Daemons, can paint them all colours of the rainbow! Some fairly nice models too, and limitless possibilities for conversions

Hadafix
26-11-2009, 19:34
Well I got a "maybe" out the dude about starting up.

Hes borrowed my "Gun Heads" book, so I hope that stokes up some interest.

Found that he prefers looking rather than painting, meh, how it goes I guess.

Still, it was interesting to see what people thought was the more "artistic" of the armies.

ScooterinAB
27-11-2009, 08:12
Imperial Guard for the win (hey, even they get to win sometimes :P ). Almost anytime I think of doing something neat (Genestealer Sult, Chaos Cult, Feral World troops, Arbites, Squats, Necromunda forces...) it always ends up being an Imperial Guard army. Tou can take any human (and sometimes non-human) models in the entire line and build a cool army. Lasguns are also kind of generic and baseline, so they make great count-as Autoguns, Archaic rifles, and even some pistols (like the "Firearms" from Lost and Damned).

Orks take a slightly smaller win here. I here a joke (I think it was here or over on the Waaagh) that no matter what you play, all armies eventually become Orks (model wise). Great conversion potential, and only lower than Imperial Guard because Orks are limited to Ork/Orc models.

Chaos is somewhere near the top, and you do have a lot of play with Chaos, but not nearly as much as Orks and Guard.

bossfearless
27-11-2009, 11:52
Orks are by far the easiest to paint, but not very interesting since it's just a matter of drybrushing green and metal onto 300 freaking models, which is why most Ork armies I've seen are unpainted.

Sisters would make for a pretty fun army to paint, and they can be fairly competitive. No plastics means lots of cash, though.

Any variety of marines would be a favorite of mine. You can either pick from the wide range of sample schemes or make up your own. The models are fairly forgiving for a beginner painter with big details and distinct shapes, while the many large empty areas and banners allow for freehand details if you want to get fancy.

bigcheese76
28-11-2009, 18:56
Id say eldar offer alot of painting oppertunities (especially the Harlequins), as do Daemonhunters, with their excellent models.

baphomael
28-11-2009, 19:51
Essentially, every army has brilliant opportunities for conversions and artistic license. Some more so than others, but if you can think of a theme, an idea, then you can go for it.

The Imperium and Chaos are among the easiest - the Imperium due to its vast breadth of cultures (each guard regiment or chapter has its own 'look' - some generic sci-fi, others lifted from real-world cultures, and chaos is open to all kinds of weird eldritch horrors and gribbly weirdness).

Orks and Nids are pretty good too - with the Ork klans and their penchant for crazy gizmos and vehicles and the nid's ultra-fast evolution. However, the caveat is that they must fit within the 'scope' of orky kultur or nid hive-fleets. Although, there is still the scope for some interesting themes - ork freebooter pirates, pseudo-military inspired blood-axes and revolutionary Rebel Grot hordes spring to mind. Likewise, nids (while having a fairly restrictive core concept) offer great conversion opportunity for mutations, new strains of 'nid, and the awesome Genestealer Cult.

Eldar and Tau are fairly restrictive aside from the few 'fringe' groups within their races. The craftworlds and the main tau septs arnt inherantly open to playing about with (aside from conversion of existing units, like arm-mounted railguns, sniper-wraithlords etc) but the sub-factions stemming off from them can be wide open to artistic licence (Farsight Enclave for Tau, Eldar Corsairs or Crone World Eldar etc).

Basically, all armies offer massive conversion potential. As for *theming* an army (and theming conversions) some factions grant easier inspiration (given how broad their original inspirations are). Basically, if you can think of a theme and/or conversions to go along with it, that broadly fit within the ethos of 40k, then the only limit is your imagination.

(unless, you wanna go really off-the-wall with humorous themes like the hello kitty marines and the like :p)

Essentially, if you can think of ideas that dont stretch and break the background material *too* far then your golden.

susu.exp
28-11-2009, 21:54
As quite a few people have already noted, all armies allow for a wide range of interpretations. Starting with the background, some basic archetypical ideas are expressed in each army, which by themselves may suggest artistic approaches (the latest WD features a Blanchitsu article, in which John Blanche desribes how he goes about it).

My suggestion is to start with an emotion or idea you want an army to convey. This then may suggest an army, a theme and a paint scheme. Writers block has prevented my from fleshing this out in a Firebase article (Iīm sure Iīll finish that some day). For example Iīm doing a fairly standard necron army right now. The idea is that history always catches up with you. It is a given and can not be denied. That of course is something already in the 'Cron background and the only thing I did was to use a paintjob that is rather close to memorial signs (usually brass or copper), found in the cobblestones of german cities (usually commemorating the Jewish family that lived in the house the stone is in front of until their deportation). I did add chest flames to the models as well and will do bllod soaked soil for bases. Itīs rather subtle - but it is there.

Of course you can also go the art for art sake routine and try out different styles. Again, all armies have a big canvas. While hordy armies may require a quicker style than elite ones, a quick style isnīt necessarily bad. Thereīs a tendency in mini painting to rank paint jobs on a scale of technical archievement based on a specific period of painting - itīs mainly baroque.

jsullivanlaw
04-12-2009, 17:38
Has this guy painted before? There is a learning curve... he should probably start with some form of marines because they are the easiest to paint.

Phenski
04-12-2009, 17:45
Totally biased, But Nids & Chaos.

For their pre-set schemes and possibilities for Renegades/Warbands/Splinter fleets etc...

Also the new Tyranid codex is out soon! Great start for any body!

mdauben
04-12-2009, 18:16
Some good suggestions here, but for myself I would go with the recomendations of either Witch/Daemonhunter or Caftworld Eldar. I say that becuase if you are looking for an army for a painter, you want not only models and color schemes that are eye catching and fun to paint, but I think you also need variety.

Now, with armies like Tyranids, Imperial Guard, Tau and SM, there is a lot of variety from army to army, but once you pick your army its generally lots and lots of figures that are pretty much all the same. It can get kind of boring painting your 40th blue Marine or 60th green Guardsman. :(

With Eldar, though, you not only have the basic colors for each craftworld, but also the different and colorful paint schemes for each Aspect squad. This gives you not only variety on the painting table, but also a very visually interesting force on the table.

The same thing for the two =I= armies; you have Grey Knights, Sisters of Battle, Imperial Storm Troopers, Assassins, Arbites, allied Space Marines and Inducted Imperial Guard, each with their own individual color scheme. And then the Inquisitors themselves and their Retinues, which have amazing opportunities for conversions and unique paint jobs.

I would definetly pick those two out as the best "painters" armies in the game.

Just my 2Ē ;)

Rewision
04-12-2009, 20:19
Orks - Any konversion is viable knowing the craftmanship of them greenskins :)

Grimbad
04-12-2009, 23:34
Orks. You can have multiple klans in multiple styles within the same warband, or just one klan, or no klan at all. You could have Evil Sunz trukk ladz in the modern rusty-metal-and-chipped-paint style fighting alongside Bad Moon meganobz in the retro bright-colors-everywhere-oh-god-my-eyes style with back banners and lots of heraldy, for example.