PDA

View Full Version : Possessed.

ImRightBehindYou
25-11-2009, 22:02
What have your guys' experiences been with them? I'm wondering if I should buy any for my Chaos army as they seem to be a good fit. Are they worth it?

He Who Thirsts
25-11-2009, 22:15
Well, that depends on what mission you're doing.

They are average for most objective missions, able to disrupt the enemy firly well and at least draw some firepower from your troops.

As for modeling they are pretty awesome, I used the wings to convert a chaos lord and a really cool looking sorceror.

Eldoriath
25-11-2009, 22:20
In performance you are usually better off with berzerkers tbh (and sadly enough).

IAMNOTHERE
25-11-2009, 22:21
I think they work wonders when you mount them in a rhino. Don't expect tthem to take on dug in troops holding an objective though - lack of frags

Best solution for me has always been to summon a GD in them, then they get propper nasty.

As to marks> All are good with these boys.

DeviantApostle
25-11-2009, 22:21
Internet wisdom says that Possessed aren't worth the plastic they're moulded from.

Generally, most people dislike the random nature of their special ability. Personally, I find that Terminators are better for point cost. For 4pts more, you get deep strike, power weapons and terminator armour but not fearless plus the ability to upgrade to fists/chainfists/combi-weapons. The random nature of Possessed makes them unreliable, so they'll either fly or die.

If you do take possessed for fluff reasons, grab a Rhino/Land Raider and slip in a Chaos Lord with a Power Fist if possible or just use them to kill squads. You could also give them the Icon of Tzeench and have them run interference against power-weapon armed elites like Termies, Howling Banshees, Blood Angel Vets, etc. If you get in combat with most walkers, you can kiss the very expensive squad goodbye, however. On the other hand, they're good against monstrous creatures.

Corpse
25-11-2009, 22:56
Possessed have various ways to be put into a chaos list.

First a clerification that many people miss.

They have a close combat weapon.
Pg29: Daemonkin states that there is a special rule OR wargear added, rephrased because of warseer IP rights respecting. You'll see it trust me.
The only roll that is an item, or even a wargear, is the roll of power weapon.

Flavor text is just flavor text, and not rule. read all six of them, they are not rules. Therefore they gain an additional weapon, adding +1 attack for having two weapons. It does not say in the rules that their close combat weapons become power weapons. Furthermore power weapons are stated in the rulebook in the close combat section stating them as a weapon to confirm them as wargear.

So with an icon of khorne, they get 5 attack each when they charge. No joke. You get 50 attacks charging out of a land raider with a power weapon roll.

In addition Kharn the Betrayer is an awesome IC because he kills tanks like a daemon prince does, and he fits right in with a unit that comes with a 5++ save in case kharn gets betrayin'. The perfect unit to put him with in fact.

In addition to the above, think of regular marine stats for 11 points cheaper. Where does the 11 points go and no ranged weapons? Well I rather not shoot to remove the one or two models that are just within 6" charge range half the time it happens as such. Sometimes more.

They get an icon, cool.
They get a random roll, I'd say that costs 2-3 points if were to be chosen as an upgrade.
They get +1 strength, I'd say that, along with fearless makes them somewhat special at +4 points.(Compare +1str and fearless without fabius' crappy "I might kill myself" roll and you see the +1 point on top of his "bonus" is fair)
5++ save is an icon of tzeentch, an additional icon if you think of picking another icon with the unit, and you know how much that costs per 10 models.

There you have your missing 11 point mystery solved. Possessed with Abbadon/Kharn does not just add additional 5++ saves to help deliver the HQ inside a land raider, but they're justified too.

Terminators cost more, and fit less inside a transport with fewer 5++ saves to take banshee attacks and such.

I personaly love the str5 base for taking down anything AV11 and toughness8 and under. (roll rending/furious charge, may take down almost anything~)

Possessed are great. Its just people prefer to split such speciality among different units. And they often hate the random roll because the dreadnought taught them rolling for stuff is bad. I never consider the roll when I take them because 4/6 of the rolls is a benefit for melee.

Bloodknight
25-11-2009, 22:58
Possessed of Khorne in a transport are nice. If you take a Greater Daemon, you will even enjoy the Scout roll on the table because you'll get your Daemon to the front faster and the Possessed champion is completely disposable.

ImRightBehindYou
25-11-2009, 23:21
Possessed have various ways to be put into a chaos list.

First a clerification that many people miss.

They have a close combat weapon.
Pg29: Daemonkin states that there is a special rule OR wargear added, rephrased because of warseer IP rights respecting. You'll see it trust me.
The only roll that is an item, or even a wargear, is the roll of power weapon.

Flavor text is just flavor text, and not rule. read all six of them, they are not rules. Therefore they gain an additional weapon, adding +1 attack for having two weapons. It does not say in the rules that their close combat weapons become power weapons. Furthermore power weapons are stated in the rulebook in the close combat section stating them as a weapon to confirm them as wargear.

So with an icon of khorne, they get 5 attack each when they charge. No joke. You get 50 attacks charging out of a land raider with a power weapon roll.

In addition Kharn the Betrayer is an awesome IC because he kills tanks like a daemon prince does, and he fits right in with a unit that comes with a 5++ save in case kharn gets betrayin'. The perfect unit to put him with in fact.

In addition to the above, think of regular marine stats for 11 points cheaper. Where does the 11 points go and no ranged weapons? Well I rather not shoot to remove the one or two models that are just within 6" charge range half the time it happens as such. Sometimes more.

They get an icon, cool.
They get a random roll, I'd say that costs 2-3 points if were to be chosen as an upgrade.
They get +1 strength, I'd say that, along with fearless makes them somewhat special at +4 points.(Compare +1str and fearless without fabius' crappy "I might kill myself" roll and you see the +1 point on top of his "bonus" is fair)
5++ save is an icon of tzeentch, an additional icon if you think of picking another icon with the unit, and you know how much that costs per 10 models.

There you have your missing 11 point mystery solved. Possessed with Abbadon/Kharn does not just add additional 5++ saves to help deliver the HQ inside a land raider, but they're justified too.

Terminators cost more, and fit less inside a transport with fewer 5++ saves to take banshee attacks and such.

I personaly love the str5 base for taking down anything AV11 and toughness8 and under. (roll rending/furious charge, may take down almost anything~)

Possessed are great. Its just people prefer to split such speciality among different units. And they often hate the random roll because the dreadnought taught them rolling for stuff is bad. I never consider the roll when I take them because 4/6 of the rolls is a benefit for melee.

Cool, my suspicions are confirmed. I didn't however figure that power weapon thing out. I'll have to hope i get power weapons.

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
26-11-2009, 04:10
I miss the days when you could purchase the unit deamonic talons and give the champion wargear...that was brutal

zendral
26-11-2009, 05:04
The random trait is not a bad thing for the possessed. It jus so happens that a good deal of the rolls are "meh". As others have said, better pts spent elsewhere. JJ's random roll for possessed in 3.0 codex was ace compared to current.

Bloodknight
26-11-2009, 06:44
I think that only "scout" is "meh", and that is only if they don't have a vehicle. All the other options are CC buffs.

JJ's random roll for possessed in 3.0 codex was ace compared to current

Well, 3 rolls are supposed to be better than one ^^.

IAMNOTHERE
26-11-2009, 09:24
The scout roll is only meh when you get 1 type of mission. Apart from that they're all good.

Petay1985
26-11-2009, 11:57
As a loyalist commander I have found possessed to be a challenge to know how to counter, they bring an element of unpredictability to a battle that is as worrying for the opposition as the chaos player in my humble opinion.

I think they are good 'true chaos' unit and for that alone i think they should be in most chaos armies of reasonable size! :)

Fixer
26-11-2009, 12:39
My complete tactica:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200393

:)