PDA

View Full Version : should i collect night goblins?

Boss Zagstruk
25-11-2009, 23:54
Lately ive been reading the OnG book and night goblins really appeal to me. Ive nearly finished my 1000pt mono khorne daemons and think i might start a 1000pt or 1500pt night goblin army. They look fun, have plenty of character and the models are very kool and cheap (if i use battle for skull pass models of the net).

Id include, 3 shamans, several blocks of night goblins, hoppers and herders and a giant or trolls (at a guess).

I think its probably a good time to start with the rumoured release of 8th ed and a new starter set. I hope to make them characterful by taking full advantage of the collecters models too.

Any advise and is this a good idea ?

jullevi
26-11-2009, 00:41
I think whatever happens in 8th edition rulebook, Night Goblins will still be fun, have plenty of character and possess a bunch of cool models. The most significant change would be discontinuing Battle For Skull Pass in favour of new starter set, so with that in mind now might be a good time to start the army.

Orcs and goblins army book may or may not get redone within the next 18 months, but either way, it is fair to assume that Night Goblins themed army will remain playable.

ScytheSwathe
26-11-2009, 00:48
Everyone needs to collect a NG army at some point in their wargaming career, its a rite of passage, like learning to thin your paints or sneaking into a pub underage; It just has to be done!

It also stops you taking the game too seriously, which is always a good thing.

Disclaimer: Remember kids, underage drinking is illegal and irresponsible, and i would never suggest you do such a thing.

Dranthar
26-11-2009, 00:57
I couldn't agree more with ScytheSwathe. :D

The only thing to bear in mind is that you need to be prepared to paint ALOT of models. My 2250pt Goblin army has 216 models (including a giant), and it took me this year to paint them all (and that was a punishing schedule at times). Fortunately, NGs are very easy to paint. You can burn through the Skull pass models in particular quite quickly.

One tip though - never take spears on night goblins. I dunno how many times I've seen people posts up lists with that. :rolleyes:

Jind_Singh
26-11-2009, 01:00
DO IT! Buy Skull pass and get your hands on 500pts of Night Gobbos for cheap - then trade the dwarves and hey presto, a nice 1000pt list!:D
They are fun, they are good to play with, and you dont mind losing with them - but dont write them off as they can be MEAN!!! GRRRR!

Expand your army to 2000pts and you can have the best looking gobbo model - Skarsnik & Gobbla!
Yeah!

jullevi
26-11-2009, 01:13
One tip though - never take spears on night goblins. I dunno how many times I've seen people posts up lists with that. :rolleyes:

Many people are not bothered to convert Skull Pass models, yet they think it is fair to pay the points because the models are equipped with spears. When you buy Night Goblin regiments, it is of course best to assemble them with hand weapons because you can get the other options cheaper from Skull Pass.

Personally, I include both hand weapon armed and spear armed units in my Night Goblin army. It makes the army slightly less monotone looking and is the most balanced approach in the end. It also means I don't "have" to convert any models if 8th edition happens to nerf hand weapons and boosts spears, which I hope it does.

outbreak
26-11-2009, 01:20
I say do it. I've been strongly considering buying up afew skull pass sets to build a night gobbo force once i finish off my skaven (so long as i don't go crazy with the 100 clanrats and plague monks left to paint).

minionboy
26-11-2009, 01:58
I made a NG army and have never regretted it.

I would suggest buying 2-3 BFSP boxes to start your army. It also helps if you can convince a friend to start a dwarf army at the same time. ;-)

Thurizdan
26-11-2009, 02:15
Do something fun with them like making them albinos instead of green. NG armies have a tendency to look overly similar.

ChaosVC
26-11-2009, 02:49
Green is mean! Go for it!

Nicha11
26-11-2009, 03:10
You'll be in for a massive culture shock.

Mono Khorne demons and Night Goblins are both fluffy armies, problem is one is very weak.

There is essentially only one over powered tactic that Night Goblins have, it's name is repeaed only in whispers "The fanatic sling shot".

Dranthar
26-11-2009, 03:25
Many people are not bothered to convert Skull Pass models, yet they think it is fair to pay the points because the models are equipped with spears.

Converting the skull pass models to holding hand weapons is actually remarkably easy. It's really just a process of snipping off the spear shafts and occasionally regluing the spearheads closer to the hand to make them look like they're waving a dagger around.

Others have the spear shafts closer to the body, in which case I snip the spearhead off and say they're equipped with torches.

Then there's the NG archers. If you can find some spare shields and spear heads about half of them can be converted into holding hand weapons.

I have about 40 converted this way (done in two sessions of about 2 hours?) - it saved me the cost of buying another 2x boxes of night goblins :D

Pic is attached. ;)

kaubin
26-11-2009, 04:28
Anyone ever try turning night goblins into night smurfs?

mrtn
26-11-2009, 11:10
I wouldn't worry too much about the spears, since skaven got points back I suspect that goblins will as well, so spears may be worthwhile in the new armybook. But they're easy to convert, I did it for my skavenslaves (enslaved BfSP goblins ;)).

Ultimate Life Form
26-11-2009, 11:20
I've seen 10.000 people buying Skull Pass for looting Night Gobs and selling the Dwarves but curiously never the other way around. Do they even still sell some of these separate Dwarf boxes? Would make me think if I was GW...

Leogun_91
26-11-2009, 12:05
I've seen 10.000 people buying Skull Pass for looting Night Gobs and selling the Dwarves but curiously never the other way around. Do they even still sell some of these separate Dwarf boxes? Would make me think if I was GW...Well its beacouse the nightgoblins hold the same quality of those you get in the plastic box and are part of a horde army where the look of each individual model is less important while the dwarfs looks like crap compared to the ones you get in the plasticbox and are part of an elite army where you want each individual model to look good.

Also I have seen it the other way around, it's just far less common.

Dr.Madcap
26-11-2009, 12:18
DO IT!! they are tons of fun to play with! all the mushrooms and fanatics :P reaks more havoc in your own lines than the enemys and the squabble:P i love em, got a 2250 mono NG army! lots of fun!

klini
26-11-2009, 15:12
Night goblins are great. I've been playing the same type of army for a while and the always bring out som laughter and is really fun to play.

The only downside is that there maaaaany models to paint...

Lars Porsenna
26-11-2009, 15:28
My first serious army for WHFB after getting back into it a few years ago was night goblins. I used BfSP to flesh out the regular box sets. The new size is fantastic, much better than the normal goblin army I half-started (couldn't get them to rank up, and ended up not liking them anyway), and I hope with the new army book, the normal goblins get re-cut to the new size.

I don't mind spears and have all mine spear armed, because it looks cool and is less work. I don' think spears break the army as much as not maxing out on the dirty tricks they can have (netters and especially fanatics). Don't forget the metals; I have a large unit of Squig Hoppers and Herders, and can be lots of fun to run...

Damon.

ARabidNun
26-11-2009, 16:22
There is essentially only one over powered tactic that Night Goblins have, it's name is repeaed only in whispers "The fanatic sling shot".

Although I agree this is a very sneaky and often discouraged tactic, I would say that the squig bomb seems to be more terrifying in some situations and even a small unit can be used to deter or distract most opponents since it only needs one surviving squig and/or to break to cause potential considerable damage.

I fear they may alter the rules for the squig herders again in the next edition, but the rules for fanatics have not changed much in the last few editions and will probably continue to remain.

Several members have posted great suggestions about NG units, but my advice may be to wait until after the new release before investing in a ton of squig hoppers and herders unless you find a less expensive alternative.

basher
26-11-2009, 18:37
yes why not the most fun army to play with in warhammer everyone should have ago

shredshredxx
26-11-2009, 19:46
yes you should on account of

A. they're kunninly brutal

B. they're brutally kunnin

C. have you ever had your face rocked by a fanatic?? no you haven't, because if you had you'd be DEAD. just like everyone else fanatics touch. coolest models/rules in warhammer, if you ask me. dripping with character.

O&G'sRule
26-11-2009, 22:31
Anyone ever try turning night goblins into night smurfs?

No but the spear chukka goblin that is blatantly wearing a smurf hat is painted as such in my army.

Imo everyone should do orc and goblin armies once, they are the antithesis to powergaming, and remind you why you are playing the game in the 1st place. Just don't take it too seriously and you'll win alot more than you'd expect

Roark
26-11-2009, 23:44
Gobbos *******' rule! Go for it.

Whenever I see someone starting up a new Gobbos army, it puts a smile on my face, because that's one more person who truly understands the real reason for playing this game in the first place.

Jacktheripper34
27-11-2009, 09:40
So not to be THAT guy who goes against the crowd here, but...
Ok im no saying don't start a NG army, I am saying that you need to really think this one through. See Night Gobbos were my first real WHFB army, i started them when I busted my knee playing football my junior year of high school, the new BFSP set came out, so i thought hey why not its cheap, NGs look cool, I'm gonna do this. Bought the 2 BFSP sets... and started a project that would end up taking me over a year to finish. I put countless hours into those crazy green midget drug addicts, and they don't look half bad if i do say so myself.

But in retrospect (and back to you're OP) I wish I had started with a different army, and almost wish I would have never started them at all (Pain me as it may to say). That project took an ungodly amount of time and money (Spent on those expensive metal models, and then later Orc units to try and salvage the army) on that army, and in the end it gave me the two main points of everyone who has told you to do it. A lot of laughs, and the ability to take warhammer light heartedly. But you want to be able to pull off a win if you're going to put that much time and effort into something, and well, they are not very good at winning. Just make sure you keep that DoC list handy, you're going to want to have it around if you ever want to win a game.

Cheers,
Jack

P.S. just to clarify winning isn't everything... actually for me its practically nothing, when i finally retired the NG's to the display case in my house, I did so because i was making headway on my (at the time) new project ... Tomb Kings... Does anyone else see the pattern this is taking haha...

ScytheSwathe
27-11-2009, 10:24
A line of gobbos, caked in fanatics and maxed out with shamen is still a fairly effective list at lower point costs. Considering the OP was talking about 1000 points, i would say its got a fair chance of winning some. Far from all battles, but some.

Also if history is anything to go by, O&G will get a new book with 8th ed, and GW will overpower them in the traditional knee-jerk reaction it seems adopt when correcting balance issues.

ARabidNun
27-11-2009, 15:37
Jacktheripper34 has a point. Playing an O&G army is something that requires patience, a sense of humor and the ability to learn humility.

I didn't invest into an O&G army until a few years ago and I will admit, I dodged the painful painting issue by buying the army online. Now that I have played them several times and have a preference for certain models (an all goblin list) I will invest time into improving the paint and adding models, and I love playing them. I never start the game expecting to win, simply to enjoy the battle and the look on my opponents face, good and bad.

I don't know if I would have become so interested in WFB if I had started with O&G because, as Jacktheripper34 has stated, it is a difficult army to consistently win with (at the moment) and demands more patience then most other armies, but it personifies the fun of the game. So it becomes your final decision. Do you hate to lose games, have no interest in painting tons of models and prefer the feel of victory over the pleasure of the game then my suggestion might be to consider DoC which are nearly the opposite of NG. Fewer models to paint, powerhouse and at the moment a top ranked tourney army.

Good luck in your final choice and good gaming.
Rabid

Lowmans
27-11-2009, 16:05
I boiled my warhammer army down to Night Goblins and Beastmen.....

Went for Beastmen in the end (powergamer that I am..... lol!) because I fell in love with the Beastherd models.

Goblins were a very close 2nd.

I think you should do it, you'll have a wonderful time and nvere be short of laughs with them!

L

wilsongrahams
27-11-2009, 16:18
Yes. I have built one up as a spare army just for fun, as they're easy to paint (Though many!) and with loads of random events will be an enjoyable game when I don't want a game filled with tactics and really hard thinking like when I use Elves.

zelfen
27-11-2009, 18:35
Definitely. Night goblins are awesome - they have good models with loads of character, as well as really fun units. In my opinion you should keep the spears, because the 20 points will give you an extra five attacks (if you have 5 by 4 units). That's nearly doubling the amount of attacks they produce. They look easy to paint (I haven't got round to painting mine yet) and Skarsnik is a great looking model with amazing stats. It's your decision, but I think they're a good army. Besides, an army that wins all the time is no fun to play against.

Rogue
27-11-2009, 23:01
I've seen 10.000 people buying Skull Pass for looting Night Gobs and selling the Dwarves but curiously never the other way around. Do they even still sell some of these separate Dwarf boxes? Would make me think if I was GW...

The dwarves in the BFSP were never sold separately. Those dwarves look cheap compared to the normal box that dwarves comes in, atleast IMO.

To the original poster, I like the concept of an all goblin army, but Night Goblins are not my personal cup of tea. I like the Common Goblins better because I think that they have more variety. But if you like what you see, then by all means go nuts. They should beable to be bought very cheaply on E-Bay.

rmb43
28-11-2009, 03:41
You absolutely MUST get a NG Boss on a Giant Squig! The first model I ever painted, and loads of fun to run.