PDA

View Full Version : More, or more?

Vermin-thing
26-11-2009, 04:54
:confused:

Lately I've been requested to stick with one, and only one army for a time by my gaming group at my not-so-local gee-dub.

My main army is Skavens, and I feel that I want to fully expand my horison of gaming arch types. Now I know full well that the ratmen lack any kind of calvary, at all. Now this brings me to a crossroads, as I'd like to make an all calvary army with DE, but I am unsure as to if I want to proceed with it.

There's always room for more rats, and I'm thinking I might just collect about 1500 points of mounted DE, and then go back to my rats.

Has any one had any experience with an all mounted DE army? Is it full of cheese? I'd like to know if it's going to turn into a win-button type army like an all mounted WoC.

I was thinking of:

Dreadlord on coldone.

master on chariot, bsb
master on chariot

3 X 5 darkriders

3 X 5 COk
5 shades, assasin

hydra with the beastmasters riding it.

So in a nut shell do I expand my horizon, and go with a mounted force, or do I collect another 3k worth of rats? My gaming group wants me to do the latter as they say it will improve my skills.

kaubin
26-11-2009, 05:08
New army gets my vote, but if what you re going for is a "reliable" cavalry list, you might find those 4 stupidity tests, even at ld 10 hard to pass all the time. You might also want to add a second chariot, as they work much better in pairs.

With no infantry units the only assassin you can run is shadowblade, the special character assassin.

Vermin-thing
26-11-2009, 05:24
New army gets my vote, but if what you re going for is a "reliable" cavalry list, you might find those 4 stupidity tests, even at ld 10 hard to pass all the time. You might also want to add a second chariot, as they work much better in pairs.

With no infantry units the only assassin you can run is shadowblade, the special character assassin.

Right I thought that would be the case. I'll probably move the second master on to a chariot, and add 10 corsairs, with an assassin. They can take a table quarter.

I assume that shadowblade uses a hero slot?

I know all about the flack that the hydra is getting, but I'm still unsure as if to I want to include one, and only one.

I hope it doesn't turn into a jerk list.

kaubin
26-11-2009, 05:38
a single Hydra is generally well received, two is pushing it though. If you want a unit to hold an assassin you could get a unit of shades as a special. With them being scouts it brings him closer to the action, or in a mage-bunker warriors block (big block of warriors used to shield your sorceresses, they are the second unit I see with a lot of assassins in them, although they tend to be babysitters more than active fighters in this case).

Shadowblade takes up a hero slot, but he deploys in a troop on the enemies side, which is very good. Assassins overall are very expensive though. The biggest problem fielding an assassin is not finding where to put it, but to assume the 200 points they cost and factor in how easy they die when they fluff.

Vermin-thing
26-11-2009, 05:55
a single Hydra is generally well received, two is pushing it though. If you want a unit to hold an assassin you could get a unit of shades as a special. With them being scouts it brings him closer to the action, or in a mage-bunker warriors block (big block of warriors used to shield your sorceresses, they are the second unit I see with a lot of assassins in them, although they tend to be babysitters more than active fighters in this case).

Shadowblade takes up a hero slot, but he deploys in a troop on the enemies side, which is very good. Assassins overall are very expensive though. The biggest problem fielding an assassin is not finding where to put it, but to assume the 200 points they cost and factor in how easy they die when they fluff.

Don't underestimate the power of HATRED!!!! :mad: Can I take chariots as an upgrade for my hero so it doesn't use up a special slot?

Trust me, the assassin will kill it's worth. I've seen one solo kill a (my) unit of 15 seaguard, and a bsb. Only because of its' over 9000 attacks, and poor break test rolling on my part.

The SkaerKrow
27-11-2009, 13:19
Remember, the Hydra Handlers must be represented by bases of their own. They can still be hit in close combat or picked out by sniper attacks (those that ignore regular targeting restrictions). So while you certainly could convert them to be riding the Hydra, you're still going to need a pair of bases following the Hydra around.

rtunian
27-11-2009, 14:31
question: wtf is your gaming group trying to tie you down to one army for?

Mulrak
27-11-2009, 14:41

Yeah, that was the only thing going through my mind when I read the post.

Croaker2
27-11-2009, 15:11

I'd agree as well.

The option of me bringing one of several armies to a game is great because it forces the others to make more balanced lists and not tailor their armies to yours.

Vermin-thing
28-11-2009, 09:04
They say that I might "improve" if I stick with one army for an extended amount of time.

I decided to go with the dark elf force so I can have other options than an army of expendable rat-men.

Still does sticking with one army for a long time help or harm your gaming? I mean you'd get more consistent results, but wouldn't your style be rather constricted?

As I have the book now I'll be going for a mix of COKs, and shades. It's hard to say if Shadowblade is worth the cost, as I have an extra hero slot that I might want to fill. I'd use him, a third assassin, or a deathhag.

rtunian
28-11-2009, 14:08
playing one army for a long time?

if you are playing one army list for a long time, you could conceivably "master" that list, in that you can apply it to any situation, make quick (good) decisions on how to use each unit, and so on and so forth.

if you are playing one army book for a long time, there is no such stipulation, because you could conceivably play a different army each time (depending on which book you have). some army books are very limited and can only put out a couple differnt types of lists, but some army books have dozens of different viable builds.

it depends on whether you are playing for fun or whether you are playing to hone your skills so that you can better compete. if you are playing for fun, you are probably going to want to play many different armys/lists so that the game stays fresh and doesn't get boring. if you are playing to get better so you can win more, you are probably going to want to play the same army list until you are very good at using it.

edit:
nevermind what i was going to say down here :p

Vermin-thing
28-11-2009, 14:13
I think I'll stick to one army for tournaments, and most comp play, my skaven sound like the right army for the job. I do have one gripe though, I only ever got serius with them a few (namely three) years ago, so it seems like I'm playing 6.5 ed. with them. I know I'll get around that, but until then I'll just hone my skills.

My gaming group plays empire, DE/skaven, WoC/VC, nightgoblins, WE/WoC, and empire/O & G. They've mainly stuck to one or two armies the whole time, and I think that they're pressing me to do the same. I'm on the fence as to weather I want to stay with one army, for any amount of time. Maybe I could play one army per month, and paint up the ones that I'm not using.