PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves/Leman Russ question

Bathawk
26-11-2009, 10:18
Was perusing the gameworkshop site, and read somethign that made me scratch my head

I know Space Wolves had access to Leman Russ tanks in the previous edition, but don't now...fair enough

but thier primarch was "the Leman Russ"?...does the fluff in the codex say anything about why they don't use Russ tanks anymore?

AndrewGPaul
26-11-2009, 10:27
It doesn't mention the tank at all in the new codex.

On the other hand, it was only the 3rd edition Codex that made mention of the Space Wolves using the tank, so it's not like it's some huge bit of the background that's been done away with.

Arakanis
26-11-2009, 10:28
the Leman Russ tank is named after the Space Wolf Primarch "Leman Russ" shocking, I know.

It's been retconned that the Space Wolves don't make use of non-Space Marine vehicles anymore.

Mort
26-11-2009, 10:31
A long long time ago (in a galxy far away) Leman Russ was no Space Marine Primarch but just an imperial General. He was a good one, too, and as a reward they namend a bsttle tank after him.

Over the years fluff has changed, so did Lemans fluff, but his name stuck on the tank. Thats the story why the tank is called "Leman Russ"

Another reason would be GWs decision to make each army unique, like in removing god specific demons frm the CSM book and giving them a seperate codex.
I think the same happened to the Leman Russ Battle tank, since guard has them SWs shouldnt have them in GWs opinion.

Arakanis
26-11-2009, 10:34
Technically, the only think the Space Wolves ever had was access to a Leman Russ Executioner (The Twin-Autocannon variant)

marv335
26-11-2009, 10:37
LR was an inquisitor originally, He was mentioned as such in the RT rulebook.
In most of the army lists for SW they have not had the LRBT.
Only in one have they had access to one minor variant.
It came as no surprise when it was dropped, and I don't ever expect it to return.

AndrewGPaul
26-11-2009, 11:47
Nope; As I've posted before, Leman Russ was "originally" the Imperial Commander of the Space Wolves (a post he was promoted to).

I can't remember when he was retconned into being the Space Wolves' Primarch. I know the classic pencil art of Leman Russ with Freki and Geri was in the 1st edition Space Marine rulebook, and I think the Leman Russ tank postdates this, but I'm not sure. There were some Epic infantry units introduced before Space Marine came out, but I don't think the Leman Russ battle tank was one. To the best of my knowledge, the Leman Russ tank has always been named after the Primarch, not the Imperial Commander.

Petay1985
26-11-2009, 11:53
Nope; As I've posted before, Leman Russ was "originally" the Imperial Commander of the Space Wolves (a post he was promoted to).

I can't remember when he was retconned into being the Space Wolves' Primarch. I know the classic pencil art of Leman Russ with Freki and Geri was in the 1st edition Space Marine rulebook, and I think the Leman Russ tank postdates this, but I'm not sure. There were some Epic infantry units introduced before Space Marine came out, but I don't think the Leman Russ battle tank was one. To the best of my knowledge, the Leman Russ tank has always been named after the Primarch, not the Imperial Commander.

I would like to concur with this, i have the same understanding of said situation. Although i would like to add my understanding is from hazy memory!! :)

Thylacine
26-11-2009, 12:01
Was perusing the gameworkshop site, and read somethign that made me scratch my head

I know Space Wolves had access to Leman Russ tanks in the previous edition, but don't now...fair enough

but thier primarch was "the Leman Russ"?...does the fluff in the codex say anything about why they don't use Russ tanks anymore?

New writers, shift in game mechanics to OTT characters.

Lots of peeved SW players with LRE's they can't use now but GW does not give a rats bum as they have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I suppose one could use ones LRE in Apocalypse?

marv335
26-11-2009, 12:03
Look here for the reference for Leman Russ's original history (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2004973&postcount=57)

AndrewGPaul
26-11-2009, 12:06
"Special Agent" is not necessarily "Inquisitor". Especially since it says Adeptus Terra special agent

sigur
26-11-2009, 12:06
Lots of peeved SW players with LRE's they can't use now but GW does not give a rats bum as they have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I can imagine, but SW only had this thing for one (lousy) edition. And it definately is a good thing they got rid of the whole idea.

AndrewGPaul
26-11-2009, 12:10
To be fair, that "one lousy edition" did last nine years, not far off half the time Space Wolves have had an army list of their own.

sigur
26-11-2009, 12:12
Hesitantly, I concur. Good point there, Sir. I tend to forget that it's been 11 years since 3rd edition came out.

Thylacine
26-11-2009, 12:14
To be fair, that "one lousy edition" did last nine years, not far off half the time Space Wolves have had an army list of their own.

However since the release of the latest SM codex, the rules lawyers would not allow the use of all the good stuff in the SW codex so lots of SW players shelved their army and gave up tournament play!

sigur
26-11-2009, 12:47
Good thing all other players get their old armies (which were abandoned in favor for new armies with new codices) off the shelves to use codex SW for them (obvious choices such as Tau, Dark Eldar, Kroot Mercs, etc.) to make up for the loss of SW players. :p

Thylacine
26-11-2009, 12:58
Good thing all other players get their old armies (which were abandoned in favor for new armies with new codices) off the shelves to use codex SW for them (obvious choices such as Tau, Dark Eldar, Kroot Mercs, etc.) to make up for the loss of SW players. :p

Dude I just play the one army Space Wolves, if GW do Rats in Space then I may build a second army but I have no real interest in any other list. I was tempted by the Relictors once but when the new Chaos Space Marine codex came out, the previously aforementioned rules lawyers said they were illegal too.

sigur
26-11-2009, 13:12
Dude I just play the one army Space Wolves, if GW do Rats in Space then I may build a second army but I have no real interest in any other list. I was tempted by the Relictors once but when the new Chaos Space Marine codex came out, the previously aforementioned rules lawyers said they were illegal too.

Dude, this wasn't directed at you but the crowds of people who believe they have to use codex SW for everything but SW. :)

Thylacine
26-11-2009, 13:26
Dude, this wasn't directed at you but the crowds of people who believe they have to use codex SW for everything but SW. :)

That's cool, it came over looking like a flame.

I am somewhat unimpressed with all the counts as lists on the forums at the moment. There seems to be a lot of chatter devoted to them but one rarely sees these lists on the table or in a tournament. I suppose it is the younger members being all enthused about the latest codex to come off the press.

marv335
26-11-2009, 13:44
To be honest all the counts as annoys me as well.
I feel that if you have a codex for your army, you should use it for better or worse.
C:SW is just the latest (and the worst) of these.

cuda1179
26-11-2009, 15:38
As far as the Leman Russ Exterminator goes, Space Wolf players can still use it in Appocolypse games. Just use the Imperial Guard rules and put Pask in it for the BS of 4.

bugbait_nz
26-11-2009, 23:00
Sadly my orks will be looting my one and giving it a new red paint job.

ShaiAhlude
27-11-2009, 16:43
"As far as the Leman Russ Exterminator goes, Space Wolf players can still use it in Appocolypse games. Just use the Imperial Guard rules and put Pask in it for the BS of 4. "

Yeah, but how many IG units are painted SW grey, and have wolf skulls & pelts hanging off thier tanks.......

Bunnahabhain
27-11-2009, 17:36
Yeah, but how many IG units are painted SW grey, and have wolf skulls & pelts hanging off thier tanks.......

Depends on how many of them have been drinking the tank fuel.

Apparently, it's common enough that the Munitorium manual has a special punishment for it...

Gray Hunter
28-11-2009, 06:19
Gah, I hated that I the Leman Russ was suddenly in the Codex in 3rd edition. It was such an obvious, stupid and unfluffy addition to the army. I've never used one, though I technically could have for nine of the fifteen years I've played Space Wolves. I was actually glad when it was taken out of the SW army list.

AndrewGPaul
28-11-2009, 12:15
"As far as the Leman Russ Exterminator goes, Space Wolf players can still use it in Appocolypse games. Just use the Imperial Guard rules and put Pask in it for the BS of 4. "

Er, that doesn't matter. He's not saying that it's "actually" Pask in a grey Exterminator.