PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite themed army?

Kievien
26-11-2009, 19:33
Hey people,

I was wondering what sort of army you all would consider be an awesome sight. For example :

Would you care to see :
an Empire Witchhunter army?
a Wood Elf Forestspirit army?
Nightgoblin tribe?
Halloween vampires?

These are all kinda cliché, but I would love to hear more others and what everybody else think of this.

Grtz. Kiev

Charistoph
26-11-2009, 19:41
Empire Witchhunter would be the most unique, and therefore interesting, to me. All the rest get used quite often, or at least posted here often.

Except the Halloween Vampire bit, but then Vampires rather represent Halloween.

Kievien
26-11-2009, 19:42
Empire Witchhunter would be the most unique, and therefore interesting, to me. All the rest get used quite often, or at least posted here often.

Except the Halloween Vampire bit, but then Vampires rather represent Halloween.

Don't let yourselves be led into the wrong direction here. You can pick anything you like, not just what I posted here ;)

Grtz. Kiev

Isabel
26-11-2009, 19:50
I've been working on a (Rat) Ogre Kingdoms army. Converted using Rat Ogres and OK kits. I'll be taking that and Skaven to Adepticon for the team tourney. It's a Clan Moulder rat ogre intelligence experiment gone wrong. The rat ogres, feeling unhappy as nothing more than pack animals, fight their way free and join up with an OK mercenary band, learning their ways. ;)

Another one I'm working on is corrupted Wood Elves joining forces with Beastmen.

Sly Rax
26-11-2009, 19:51
I have always loved the idea of a proper "savage" orc and goblin army.
Just savage orcs and forest goblins(on spiders and on foot), savage looking giants and savage looking trolls!

No warmachines, they dont fit in.

Condottiere
26-11-2009, 19:54
I think the possibilities of having pitchfork wielding peasants, hapless maidens tied to a pole in a tumbrel and serious looking guys in big hats shouting, "Burn the witch," has attractions.

unwanted
26-11-2009, 21:34
Marauder Horsemen tribe; Everyone with big ol'e wide-brimmed hats and horsehair-plumes galore... No discs or juggers, just horses everywhere.

Classical Mushroom
26-11-2009, 21:45
Savage Orc theme armies have always been a favorite of mine. The models look fantastic (if only i could afford it :()

Arguleon-veq
26-11-2009, 22:13
I have Ulrican Empire, always been a big fan of Ulric themed Empire lists, I use Tuetogens as Greatsword, Ulric Priests as Warrior Priests, Knights of the White Wolf, Knights Panther, Ar Ulric as an Arch Lector, War Wagon as a War Alter.

Lord of Skulls
26-11-2009, 22:27
I dreaming of making a themed Nuln army... 100 Handgunners, 4 Great Cannons, 2 Hellblasters and 14 Hochland Longrifles in 2000 pts. ;)

On a more serious note, a properly made Bretonnian army would be awesome. Relatively few knights, and a regiment of peasants in the colours of each of them, as each knight brings forces from his land.

Briohmar
26-11-2009, 22:56
Probably the best theme army I've ever seen has been the Monty Python and the Holy Grail Bretonnian army, though I have lost the link to it.

kaubin
26-11-2009, 23:17
I like christmas night-goblins or halloween wood elves...love the holidays :p

Wonder what kind of army could do Valentine`s day the best...

dlantoub
27-11-2009, 00:55
Wonder what kind of army could do Valentine`s day the best...

Why did I think dwarfs when you asked that question?? *sniffs beer mug* Someone has been spiking my ale again...

Seriously, you guys all have thought of some great themes, and the amazing people who keep painting logs keep rolling them out all the time. My themes are far too close to cheese to be real themes. I'm afraid I don't have a favourite theme, so I'm just going to list the ones I keep coming back to.

To Catch the Favour of Gods. Simple all Marauder force. The theme being this force gathers under a Chaos Warrior who believes it is his god inspired duty to shepherd the warriors of the great powers to their annointed destinies, by leading them into one battle after another towing a warshrine, and slowly dividing them into the most cunning, the most ruthless, the most hedonistic, the most resilient. Before one of three fates overtake them, they leave to start their own band, they become a warrior of their chosen god, or they are left on a battlefield somewhere.

Empire "Legion Free Corps". Everyone knows of the shining pillar of the empire armies. This is not one of them. This is made up of the criminals, the hopeless, the hotbloods, and anyone who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. This army is the bump in the road, slung before any threat to give the Empire time to muster it's grand armies. No questions asked, just sign. It's the last chance to wipe the slate clean, either with the blood of the Empire's enemies, or your own. (This means, virtually no blackpowder, definitely no steam weapons, only a few knights, lots of militia. The whole force should look slightly ragtag.)

The Defence of the Necropolis: It has stood undisturbed for centuries. Sand has blasted it's streets and wide paved roads, now only the grand statues of forgotten gods stand in silent vigil over the dead. A noise of man, a disturbance rings dismally in this forgotten place, this is no home for the living, they are not welcome. AS the despoilers proceed down the great avenue, ghost lights flicker, and the Ushabti move to bring the vengeance of dead gods to foolish living mortals. (Basic Tomb Kings army using lots of Ushabti)

The last two are sort of themes but not themes.

How many Giants..: Can I fit in a 3k force. Force organisation rules be...umm ignored, I worked it out to be 14, and very nearly 15. Am I really prepared to buy 15 giants just to see how long it takes a "normal" army to destroy them? These days that would be about three turns, if I'm lucky.

Way back to Ancient Magic and Battle magic there were these little models called Familiars, which you could buy as add ons for wizards. It amused me to think of them as an army battling such horrors as rats snakes and spiders in the depths of a haunted house or some such. or actually as a true army under the command of a haunted house, with stacks of chairs which represented Poltergeists.

Fjoergyn
27-11-2009, 01:40
Probably the best theme army I've ever seen has been the Monty Python and the Holy Grail Bretonnian army, though I have lost the link to it.

I think I have it, it isn´t the original link, I found it in a spanish forum:

http://ddwarf.mforos.com/731737/8388949-a-todos-nos-gusta-esta-peli/

Hope that it is what you said.

Personally, I like a lot the Goblin themed Brettonian army, here´s the link:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195596&highlight=gobbotonia

Armond
27-11-2009, 01:59
I have always loved the idea of a proper "savage" orc and goblin army.
Just savage orcs and forest goblins(on spiders and on foot), savage looking giants and savage looking trolls!

No warmachines, they dont fit in.

collecting spider riders right now for that one reason(have 30 right now). Will convert standard gobbos to look like forest gobbos. Will be trying to get a hold of some savage orc boyz, and maybe a unit or two of savage orc boar boyz. A few trolls.

snurl
27-11-2009, 02:09
Halloween themed gets my vote, although the witch hunters sounds interesting.

I have a back burner idea for a circus themed army which may or may not get done some day.

kaubin
27-11-2009, 02:24
I just though an all dogs army of chaos might be interesting. 66 units of 5 hounds fit in 2k points.

Isabel
27-11-2009, 03:45
I just though an all dogs army of chaos might be interesting. 66 units of 5 hounds fit in 2k points.

You would still need 2 core though :(
Dogs dont count as core units.

wizbix
27-11-2009, 17:07
I had considered a Malakai Maikison themed army complete with huge Airship which actually did fit the whole army inside. I even went as far as looking at radio controlled kits in order to make it radio controlled at the same time. Until I figured it could cost a fair bit to make. But I imagined the faces of every one at the local GW store when I slowly glided it in to the store through the door. Doubtless I could see many pitfalls and broken models when the thing goes belly up for some unknown reason! Another idea was a Long Drong Slayer pirate force but complete with Ironclads which I’d happily try to make which constituted the only artillery. Probably not original ideas but still fairly cool and with impressive centre pieces.

Briohmar
27-11-2009, 18:20
I think I have it, it isn´t the original link, I found it in a spanish forum:

http://ddwarf.mforos.com/731737/8388949-a-todos-nos-gusta-esta-peli/

Hope that it is what you said.

Personally, I like a lot the Goblin themed Brettonian army, here´s the link:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195596&highlight=gobbotonia

That's the army I was talking about, but having just read page by page, the Gobbotonnian army PLOG, I am speechless. I was pleased with my all female Daemon army, but it has just been trashed yet again, and by gobbos this time, oh the shame.

Zujara
27-11-2009, 22:01
I've always wanted to do a forest goblin tribe, but money and all that.. I had started a bit on it in 5th edition with a forest goblin riding a cockatrice but never got further than that. Maybe one day GW or Forgeworld will make it more possible!

Lunar
27-11-2009, 22:56
Wood Elves.

It's Autumn, the Forest spirits are becoming less active so the defense of Athel Loren falls entirely on the Wood Elves. A border patrol consisting of Glade Guard, Scouts, Glade Guard and Waywatchers led by a Waywatcher Noble. If done correctly, this force would look incredible to me, even if it wouldn't be table-top effective.

Xzazzarai
28-11-2009, 03:33
Tzeentch Warriors.

Coolest there is!

Desert Rain
28-11-2009, 22:04
Santa Claus dwarves should be funny ;)

Onisuzume
28-11-2009, 22:14
I have Ulrican Empire, always been a big fan of Ulric themed Empire lists, I use Tuetogens as Greatsword, Ulric Priests as Warrior Priests, Knights of the White Wolf, Knights Panther, Ar Ulric as an Arch Lector, War Wagon as a War Alter.
Aye, Ulrican is much better than that human named sigmar.

And then there's my Sacred Host of Quetzl Lizardmen.
Too bad the sacred spawnings are gone with this edition...
At least the spawning bonus is now default for all sauri.

metal midget
28-11-2009, 22:19
I had considered a Malakai Maikison themed army complete with huge Airship which actually did fit the whole army inside. I even went as far as looking at radio controlled kits in order to make it radio controlled at the same time. Until I figured it could cost a fair bit to make. But I imagined the faces of every one at the local GW store when I slowly glided it in to the store through the door. Doubtless I could see many pitfalls and broken models when the thing goes belly up for some unknown reason! Another idea was a Long Drong Slayer pirate force but complete with Ironclads which I’d happily try to make which constituted the only artillery. Probably not original ideas but still fairly cool and with impressive centre pieces.

this won't fit your army in but the2blackdragons.com have a dwarven airship conversion

Lordsaradain
28-11-2009, 22:25
Zombie Pirates! Definetly the most cool theme. Zombies are awesome, pirates are awesome, zombie pirates are beyond awesome! :)

Bonzai
29-11-2009, 06:40
I am seriously considering an ACME Labs skaven army. Banners and sheilds will be painted with the image of the Brain in a Viking Helmet (the Horned Rat), the HQ will be made to look like Pinky. Hanging Cheese in front of the Doom wheels, etc... The ACME logo on all the mechanized items. Then of course the obvious Brain imitations during battles "YESSSS! The world is within my grasp!"

fall3nang3l
29-11-2009, 10:43
Ive always thought a pure Skaven Clan Eshin army would be cool. cool but kind of terrible because night runners are such terrible mainstay troops choices.

mrtn
29-11-2009, 22:15
I have a nurgling army. 100 nurglings counts-as ghouls.

Link in sig if anyone's interested.

GenerationTerrorist
30-11-2009, 01:09
A friend of mine plays with an all Forest Spirit Wood Elves army, painted and based in a "Winter Slumber" theme. It is so brilliantly painted I wish I had some photo's of it to share on here. Snow bases and frozen/icy wood galore....The Treeman Ancient even has a pair of Squirrels living on him.

My old Chracian High Elves was the best themed army I ever had; loads of White Lions, Lion Chariots, Eagles, etc. Was like something out of Narnia!

Toshiro
30-11-2009, 01:13
An all out chariot TK army! :D

Since characters (except liche priests) can ride in a chariot it's possible to push 37 of them in a 2k army (leaving 500pts+ for characters) :D

ChaosVC
30-11-2009, 01:45
I was thinking of WMWF theme, World Monster Wrestling Federation, it seems to be the trend nowadays.

Kievien
01-12-2009, 19:17
I am seriously considering an ACME Labs skaven army. Banners and sheilds will be painted with the image of the Brain in a Viking Helmet (the Horned Rat), the HQ will be made to look like Pinky. Hanging Cheese in front of the Doom wheels, etc... The ACME logo on all the mechanized items. Then of course the obvious Brain imitations during battles "YESSSS! The world is within my grasp!"

Now THAT sounds totaly awesome :P
Grtz. Kiev