PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Psych you out armies out there or play the mind game?

HsojVvad
26-11-2009, 23:19
I mean are there any amries out there, that can make your run away from morale checks, or failed leadership? Something like the tyraind power Scream, where they are culmitave. I havn't herd or seen alot of Tyranid Scream creaturs, so I am wundering if there are other armies out there, that could do something like this.

I wunder if it would be interesting to play. I think it would be something different, since all I read is about firepower or speed. Has anyone played the mind game in 40K? Can you even play the mind game in 40k?

Corrode
27-11-2009, 00:17
Considering that the majority of armies in 40k have easy access to either Stubborn, Fearless, or Leadership 9/10 there's very few usable morale tricks. The Imperial Guard can use the Weaken Resolve/heavy firepower or Pinning-weapon combination in order to force a unit to take a fall back test at very low leadership, but these don't work on things which are Fearless or Stubborn. There just really isn't much of a viable morale system outside of combat; occasionally a squad will roll high and die to something stupid, but it's rare enough not to be a worry.

Arakanis
27-11-2009, 00:28
Witchhunter Inquisitor Psychic Powers almost all revolve around reducing Leadership scores, or forcing morale checks. I don't know if that helps at all. They're also effective against enemy psykers/psychic powers. They'd be highly effective at killing Tyranids (as the Synapse Creatures are Psykers) and can stall assaults with some level of effectiveness.

Shifte
27-11-2009, 00:59
Dark Eldar have the Horrorfex and Terrorfex. They don't make enemies flee, but they can pin a large amount of units in the opposing army - and are particularly devastating against small, elite forces that aren't fearless.

blackroyal
27-11-2009, 02:19
The Imperial Guard can use the Weaken Resolve/heavy firepower or Pinning-weapon combination in order to force a unit to take a fall back test at very low leadership, but these don't work on things which are Fearless or Stubborn.
Unless you play somewhere where the Adepticon faq is used...

Imperius
27-11-2009, 03:03
In Planetstrike the Dark Eldar reduce your leadership by however many turns have passed.

Turn 7? -7 leadership.

Partisan Rimmo
27-11-2009, 03:11
Tau Marker light spam combined with many Rail Rifles can pin A LOT of units at once, if that is what the list is designed to do

Purge the Heretic
27-11-2009, 05:07
Well, Witchhunter inquisitors combined with psyker battle squads and culexus assasins...

But if you really want to control your opponent, you're probably looking for a double lash chaos list.

NeonDante
27-11-2009, 06:37
Good call, purge! Be prepared to have people calling cheese on you, because so many people use that brutally effective combination to win at any cost, but it sounds like you'd use a tactic like that for fun!

If you don't know, a CSM Slanesshi Demon Prince can cast las of submission (or is it lash of torment? I can never remember.) which lets you move an enemy squad as you please. It was designed, I assume, to move people away from objectives and positions, bring them in range of your guns, etc, but people have found that using it twice can smoosh two squads into a nice, large template sized huddle. :)

ReveredChaplainDrake
27-11-2009, 06:49
There really aren't that many "all-fearless" armies out there. There's all-Cult CSM, Daemons, Tyranids in Synapse (Codex pending), Orks in large numbers, and a few scattered whatchamacallits here and there. That's it. Really, it's not so much about the fearlessness. There are a lot of great armies out there which aren't fearless. Look at the "we're a whopping Ld7" Guard. The trick, if you want to play the mind game against the army, is to find out what makes the Fearless and get rid of it. Fearless armies tend to have drawbacks. Tyranids can lose their Synapse. Orks can have their numbers thinned. Space Marines can have their Stubborn character / Calgar killed. Daemons are... well, Daemons; the whole "I have only tenuous control of my deployment at the best of times" covers a multitude of balance sins.

Of course, you could always just play the mindgame against your opponent, which is what I thought this thread was about...

Absolutionis
27-11-2009, 06:54
I played the "Psychic Choir" concept in my Tyranid Army a few times. It works great against Space Marines, Battlesuits, or even Orks assuming you whittle down their numbers and get them out of transports.

However, it is nearly worthless against anything inside a transport and some armies such as Tyranids, Chaos, and Daemons. Considering the transport issue and the fact that most armies love transports, it is really not a viable strategy at all.

owen matthew
27-11-2009, 07:25
Considering that the majority of armies in 40k have easy access to either Stubborn, Fearless, or Leadership 9/10 there's very few usable morale tricks. The Imperial Guard can use the Weaken Resolve/heavy firepower or Pinning-weapon combination in order to force a unit to take a fall back test at very low leadership, but these don't work on things which are Fearless or Stubborn. There just really isn't much of a viable morale system outside of combat; occasionally a squad will roll high and die to something stupid, but it's rare enough not to be a worry.

This is great, by the way. Its good for all-comer lists as well because if you do hit the fearless armies out there, you can still switch their power up to a blast marker, less efective, but they are not wasted alltogether.

What is the Adepticon FAQ, and how does it change the way they work?

Deetwo
27-11-2009, 07:30
What is the Adepticon FAQ, and how does it change the way they work?

In other words, the INAT FAQ.
It incorrectly classifies Weaken Resolve as something that is not a modifier, which would make Stubborn completely ineffective against it.
Also interestingly enough, the INAT originally ruled that Stubborn units are not affected by WR at all.

It's the most comprehensive FAQ there is, but quite obviously still a document of house rules.

bossfearless
27-11-2009, 11:58
This is going to get laughed right off the face of the earth in any competitive environment, but you can do this sort of thing with Necrons quite nicely.

Pariahs are a walking leadership vacuum, and the Deceiver can cause even fearless troops to flee. I don't have the book available right now, but I believe that Flayed Ones also get something to mess with leadership, and that there's some kind of fear-thingy in the wargear for Lords (fear-thingy is a technical term).

So although you'd be tabled every single game, the Necrons DO have a lot of mind games they can play.

Onisuzume
27-11-2009, 12:20
The Imperial Guard can use the Weaken Resolve
Dammit, another thing stolen from the Dark Angels!

HsojVvad
27-11-2009, 15:35
occasionally a squad will roll high and die to something stupid, but it's rare enough not to be a worry.

LMFAO, when I played my first game, My Azzy did just that. I couldn't believe it. I was rolling 1's when firing but when rolling for morale, I roll double 6's hehe. Guess that is 40K life eh? :D

I played the "Psychic Choir" concept in my Tyranid Army a few times.

How does that work?

Flying Toaster
27-11-2009, 16:55
Well I always thought that morale should play a larger part in the game itself. Since being in a battle with bullets whistling past you and giant monsters roaming around looking for someone to kill, would be enough to make me cower behind something or run away for most of the fight.

The Custodian
27-11-2009, 17:05
How does that work?

Simple, take 3 Zoans and 2 tyrants with psychic scream and clump the together to make a 18" -5ld area, follow it up with fexes toting stranglers for pinning and your good.

HsojVvad
28-11-2009, 17:31
Simple, take 3 Zoans and 2 tyrants with psychic scream and clump the together to make a 18" -5ld area, follow it up with fexes toting stranglers for pinning and your good.

Would never have thought of that. Does it work quite well? Also curiouis if this will be viable in the new codex or even more powerfull.

Sir_Lunchalot
29-11-2009, 17:20
Also, it is important to note that Stubborn only applies to Morale checks, not pinning tests.

owen matthew
29-11-2009, 19:38
In other words, the INAT FAQ.
It incorrectly classifies Weaken Resolve as something that is not a modifier, which would make Stubborn completely ineffective against it.
Also interestingly enough, the INAT originally ruled that Stubborn units are not affected by WR at all.

It's the most comprehensive FAQ there is, but quite obviously still a document of house rules.

Is it actually a modifier, or does it actually change the LD for the turn. Two different scenarios.

Dead Man Walking
29-11-2009, 22:11

Something that a lot of players forget is that a Tyrant comes with 'The Horror!" as standard issue, which means that if you want to charge the tyrant you have to pass a morale test (doesnt effect fearless) and if you fail then the charge fails. Since your already modifying leadership to -3 to -5 this helps a lot. I have stopped killer units from reaching an objective just by parking the flying tyrant in front of an objective.

GrimZAG
30-11-2009, 02:55
Wearing a long dark cape to later reveal in the game that you are wearing a darth maul mask will probably destroy your opponents mind and turn them into a gibbering mess.

Of course this would be just after you use your double lash princes to move his prized units into the line of fire of 3 vindicators...