PDA

View Full Version : Squig Hoppers

jthdotcom
27-11-2009, 08:16
What is the best size unit? For 2k. I know it would depend what else I field, but is 7 about right in a balanced list?

wilsongrahams
27-11-2009, 08:42
It really depends - more will survive longer. Larger units are better due to taking up slots in the FOC that you may want for other things. Also, they come in boxes of five, so that may make the decision for you. I field mine in two groups of five or one of ten depending upon the size of battle and the FOC used therefore. Also I don't like having paid-for models unused.

If getting the exact number isn't a problem, it really does depnd upon balance. A good thing is great in larger numbers until you spend too many points that you start losing out on the rest of the army. Aim for the maximum but knock some off as points limit it if needed.

klini
27-11-2009, 13:43
I've used them in one big group of 10 with great success so far. Those lunatics are just wonderful against almost everything (except shooters)

Fredmans
27-11-2009, 20:58
I usually field 7-8, to save more points for other things. I feel that for that amount of points, it is a very potent unit. If it becomes too expensive, the randomness can just drive you mad. I have had them bounce 18" right through a wood instead of into it, stopping half an inch short of 8 dryads. Other times, they roll 6" when all they needed was an 8 for a devastating flank charge.

/Fredmans

Nuada
27-11-2009, 21:07
the randomness can just drive you mad. I have had them bounce 18" right through a wood instead of into it.

To prevent this happening you could combine them with spider riders. Use the spider riders as blockers in the woods, squig hoppers no longer leap over units. :)

minionboy
28-11-2009, 03:22
7 is the magic number for most people that use hoppers, myself included.

semersonp
30-11-2009, 12:40
7 is magic indeed...

not enough to make your opponent bug-eyed and too many to drop to shooting before they get their chomps in...