PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Vampire counts army!

CherryMan
27-11-2009, 11:12
So I have been holding up for quite some time now on getting started with regular Warhammer Fantasy again. Mostly because I have a unpainted, half to half assembled, old.... make that "really old" ork army, of not many points, lying around.

So after much consideration (as most of the teams have at least something cool) I think I have pinned it down to Vampire counts.

Things I'm a bit against thou must be the extremely horrible character miniatures, only the newly made special characters are anything to have in my opinion. Just by looking at the old vampire characters make you wonder if you're to giggle or cry, and the old necromancers... ugh....

So I thought id just go ahead of ether converting the vamps Ill be using, or simply play the new special characters as "counts as" regular vampire/vamp lords, which shouldn't be much of a problem as we mostly just play friendly games here where I come from. The necromancers can easily be converted using the new plastic wizard kit from the empire, and so on.

The other almost silly thing GW did, was the retard move of making metal Blood knights. Sure they look cool as hell, but the price man... oh the price:cries: And at the same time they release the plastic cold one knights, which made at least my jaw drop to the floor on how cool and detailed they where.

So, anyhow, enough ranting form my part, on to the good stuff!
Yes they do have awesome new skeletons/ghouls/grave guards! which looks just amazing.
I was thinking on getting 2 battalions the 50 boxes, whatever their name is. Giving me a good start with lots of zombies, skellies and ghouls... and 2 of those corps carts, thou I don't know if they are any good gamewise, looks ok from just reading about them, what do you think warseer?
Adding to this, keeping it simple and getting hold on the new vlad mini, as it looks totally awesome, but will still just play him as a regular vamp mini. And a box of wizards from the empire box, which with some conversion work from the zombies and skellies boxes can make for some good looking necromancers.

Anyway, what do you think? will this be a good start for a army? What is the "must have" in a vamp army? what should I be getting hold on next up and so on?

IndianaMadman
27-11-2009, 13:46
I have a friend that runs Vampire Lords, he uses 2 vampire heroes with the raise dead spell, he rushes their units into charge range then drops zombies twice a magic phase, he also uses the calavary that are etheral. I dont know the names sorry.

Eternus
27-11-2009, 13:56
I have a friend that runs Vampire Lords, he uses 2 vampire heroes with the raise dead spell, he rushes their units into charge range then drops zombies twice a magic phase, he also uses the calavary that are etheral. I dont know the names sorry.

Black Knights. They aren't 'Ethereal' exactly. They have incoproreal steeds which basically means they ignore terrain when they move.

The Red Scourge
27-11-2009, 13:57
So I have been holding up for quite some time now on getting started with regular Warhammer Fantasy again. Mostly because I have a unpainted, half to half assembled, old.... make that "really old" ork army, of not many points, lying around.

So after much consideration (as most of the teams have at least something cool) I think I have pinned it down to Vampire counts.

Things I'm a bit against thou must be the extremely horrible character miniatures, only the newly made special characters are anything to have in my opinion. Just by looking at the old vampire characters make you wonder if you're to giggle or cry, and the old necromancers... ugh....

So I thought id just go ahead of ether converting the vamps Ill be using, or simply play the new special characters as "counts as" regular vampire/vamp lords, which shouldn't be much of a problem as we mostly just play friendly games here where I come from. The necromancers can easily be converted using the new plastic wizard kit from the empire, and so on.

The other almost silly thing GW did, was the retard move of making metal Blood knights. Sure they look cool as hell, but the price man... oh the price:cries: And at the same time they release the plastic cold one knights, which made at least my jaw drop to the floor on how cool and detailed they where.

So, anyhow, enough ranting form my part, on to the good stuff!
Yes they do have awesome new skeletons/ghouls/grave guards! which looks just amazing.
I was thinking on getting 2 battalions the 50 boxes, whatever their name is. Giving me a good start with lots of zombies, skellies and ghouls... and 2 of those corps carts, thou I don't know if they are any good gamewise, looks ok from just reading about them, what do you think warseer?
Adding to this, keeping it simple and getting hold on the new vlad mini, as it looks totally awesome, but will still just play him as a regular vamp mini. And a box of wizards from the empire box, which with some conversion work from the zombies and skellies boxes can make for some good looking necromancers.

Anyway, what do you think? will this be a good start for a army? What is the "must have" in a vamp army? what should I be getting hold on next up and so on?

Its a great start :)

If you're looking for cheap alternatives, then you can use any set of plastics for making spirit hosts, as its really the paint job that defines their etherealness - flagellants have a good 'haunted' look, but anything will do. And blood knights made from those cheap chaos knights are a popular solution too :)

Lowmans
27-11-2009, 14:02
Hi

the Empire, Bretonnian and Chaos Knights can all be converted/painted up nicely for Blood Dragons or Black Knights if you want to.

Some of the VC Characters are less than fantastic, I agree. The (collectors?) Sartosan Vampire is nice though imho

Or you could, again, convert up another races character pretty easily.

I ummed and ahhed about VC a while ago myself but decided I didn't like them enough....

Beasties for me!

Good luck

L

Eternus
27-11-2009, 14:10
Hi

the Empire, Bretonnian and Chaos Knights can all be converted/painted up nicely for Blood Dragons or Black Knights if you want to.

Some of the VC Characters are less than fantastic, I agree. The (collectors?) Sartosan Vampire is nice though imho

Or you could, again, convert up another races character pretty easily.

All good advice - I mean, what makes a Vampire look different from a human really - teeth! So you can use pretty much any suitable model as a Vamp - half of them spend their leisure time mingling with the good and the great in the cities of the old world anyway, so they can look just like everyone else.

zelfen
27-11-2009, 18:45
Hi, I'm also starting out a vampire army.
I think you should get a Varghulf in your army (though they're quite awkward to put together. They're, in my eyes anyway, the monster/muscle in a vampire army.
They're fast (I think, due to the fact that blood knights ride barded steeds, they're faster than blood knights), strong, and they don't care about flanks or rear. If your opponent moves first, you could charge a Varghulf in the front of an enemy unit with dire wolves performing a flank charge. This should deal with a standard unit. Also, a Varghulf can regenerate, a trait which other fast movers don't have.
Definitely a Varghulf.

Master Vampire
27-11-2009, 22:48
I suggest taking a look at the alternate units thread found here: Alternate VC models (http://www.vampirecounts.net/showthread.php?tid=3936)

There are a lot of conversion options for the VC army. Other miniature producers are sometimes providing better models for certain models.

I suggest taking a look at the painting logs on the forum - there are a lot of conversions going on there.

IndianaMadman
27-11-2009, 22:52
Black Knights. They aren't 'Ethereal' exactly. They have incoproreal steeds which basically means they ignore terrain when they move.

Oh thanks for clearing that up. He was telling me they couldnt be hurt except with magic weapons.

CherryMan
28-11-2009, 13:29
Ty for all the great replies guys!

Well, I want to get in to warhammer fantasy again, and still enjoy most of my minis in the army, one of the reasons I turned to 40k so many years ago actually, its so much easier to build a good looking army, without having to use several units that look like crap.

Ok, so the start is good, 2 battalion boxes, a mage set from the Empire, and the Vlad mini. And the best part is that I can split up the payments, say getting one box and Vlad at first, start painting and modelling, and then do another purchase with another box and the "soon to be" Necromancers. After that I think ill be getting my hands on grave guards and some boxes of Dire wolfs, as they both have new and amazing plastic kits.

But anyway, on to some basic tactics, as it was quite some time I played Warhammer fantasy at all, and as I have NEVER played a Vampire count army. My fear is that my mates Empire army (a pretty large army with good selection on any thing a Empire general could ever want in his army) will just sit back and blast the living **** out of me with cannons, and then just plow over me with knights and other nastiness :/ ..... Thus I feel I will really need a good "cannon hunter" unit? Even in small games I fear he will use mortars and cannons (Nuln playing son of a spawn!), and good strong solid blocks of state troopers.So any good tactical tips on how to beet down a well rounded Empire list is welcome!

zelfen
28-11-2009, 21:15
Why don't you have a terror-causing scouting vampire? With the use of a few powers you can easily do this, and your empire friend will either have to direct some of his units/shooting towards your vampire, or leave it be at which point it can wreck havoc amonng his war machines and lone wizards.
You can achieve this with a hero-level vampire, though you won't be able to take other powers. Give him some magic items to boost his combat/magic powers if you want.

CherryMan
29-11-2009, 11:44
Sounds like a plan zelfen. Excellent for smaller battles, thou Ill probably have to give him some form of Armour, as 12 years in the hobby of warhammer have left my friend with the convenient ability to pinpoint (sniper!) his mortars spot on the target where ever he wants them to land:/ And my only blessing is his same ability to more than a few times roll scatter :D hehe.

Have made up my mind, Ill be scrapping money to afford a battalion box, a Empire state trooper box (which I will use in combination with the zombie sprue to make some awesome newly deceased Nuln soldiers!) and a vampire. With this little force I will make the start of my newly raise undead horde!

Ivellis
29-11-2009, 12:02
If you're looking for Blood Knights look no farther than Gamezone Mournful Knights, some of the coolest minis I've ever seen and not too expensive. (Plus one of them could be a good mounted vampire hero/lord too.)

CherryMan
30-11-2009, 20:37
Ok, so this might be the "wrong" fourm, but I thought id stay on the thread I started.
How bout this basic list of 750points worth of Undead.

Heroes.

Vampire - Wristbands of black gold
-Hunter in the dark
-Supernatural horror

Necromancer
-Corps cart - Unholy lodestone
-Invocation of Nehek

Necromancer
-Black periapt
-raise dead

Core.

Zombie Horde

Skeleton warriors
-Full command

Crypt ghoul

Total 753points.

This is one battalion box, one vampire and one empire wizard box converted to a Necromancer. What do you think Warseer, any good?

wilsongrahams
30-11-2009, 22:12
Not bad, but I'd drop the zombies from the list and leave them to raising only, using the points to get skellies, then add some grave guard to get you up to nearer 1000pts.

CherryMan
30-11-2009, 23:32
Ty for the tip wilsongrahams, but if you red more of the thread you will notice that this smallish starter army is made only with the use of one battalion box, a vampire, and a empire wizard box. I will then later ad yet another battalion box, and by then I will probably advance more both in points and options on what to use in the army.

Advancing up towards 1k points I can see 2 good units of skellies (one with spears? .. is it worth it now days?), and 2 units of crypt ghouls, backed up by 2 corps carts and the support from the heroes. Could turn out to be quite a nice start for my undead horde I hope:D heh.

After the official "start" of the army (2 battalion boxes, 2 necromancers made from the Empire Wizard box, and a vamp) I was thinking on getting hold on some Dire wolfs (at first, to lure opponents to charge, or draw frenzy troops where I wanted them to be, but then I remembered that they are undead and cant flee as a option:/... how does vampire counts deal with that problem?) and some Grave Guards (seems to be a pretty solid option, and they got some great models, Want a 20 strong unit (as they are pretty sheep for what you get in my opinion) with a hero in it, could turn out to be a pretty solid unit I hope.

kardar233
01-12-2009, 00:05
I'd say that you've got a bit of a fragile army there; since only the Vampire can be the general and he's a bit squishy, you'd be facing a lot of crumbling. If you go with the removal of the Zombies, you have room to upgrade the Necromancer on foot to a Vampire, with a loadout of something like:

Vampire
Dark Acolyte
Lord of the Dead
Walach's Bloody Hauberk
Biting Blade

Which gives you some good raising ability, and you can keep him alive in the Ghouls pretty easily. This guy should be your General, which allows you to be a bit more cavalier with your other Vampire.

Speaking of which; he's a bit on the squishy side. May I suggest:

Vampire
Hunter in the Dark
Supernatural Horror
Flayed Hauberk
Sword of Battle/Striking
Talisman of the Lycni

If you're prepared to give up the Scouting aspect, (good if your opponent doesn't run many war machines, or if you go up against some harder enemies than Empire), you can use this:

Vampire
Dread Knight
Infinite Hatred
Skabscrath
Nightshroud

If you get around to upgrading your army to 1000pts, which is more common than 750, you can simply add a Varghulf and tool up your units a bit.

Zarroc
01-12-2009, 00:44
I made a bunch of black knights using bret horses and legs and grave gaurd upper bodies, they look pretty decent

zelfen
01-12-2009, 18:52
Why not take either a Talisman of Lyncni + Wristbands of black gold or the sword of kings + Nightshroud. The first combo gives you the option of out running his combat units with M of 9, and having a 3+ ward save against magic and shooting. The second combo allows him to strike before other characters and have illing blow. This should deal with lone combat characters, but if your friend sends a unit against him use your M of 6 to out-manoeuvre them. If you're taking the first option, remember not to get backed into a corner.

artisturn
02-12-2009, 06:55
Ok, so this might be the "wrong" fourm, but I thought id stay on the thread I started.
How bout this basic list of 750points worth of Undead.

Heroes.

Vampire - Wristbands of black gold
-Hunter in the dark
-Supernatural horror

Necromancer
-Corps cart - Unholy lodestone
-Invocation of Nehek

Necromancer
-Black periapt
-raise dead

Core.

Zombie Horde

Skeleton warriors
-Full command

Crypt ghoul

Total 753points.

This is one battalion box, one vampire and one empire wizard box converted to a Necromancer. What do you think Warseer, any good?

first off welcome to VC and I hope you enjoy your army choice, as the previous posts mention the VC army has a lot of opportunities for conversion work which is a lot of fun and can save you some cash as well.

for example for my Black Knights I am using Empire Knights with Skellie heads which saved me a bundle of cash and I saw a picture where some one used the new ghoul heads on Chaos Knights as Blood Knights and they looked fantastic.

buying the Battalion boxes are a good way to beef up your core and the Corpse Cart is worth bringing every game, makes a great mount for your Necromancer has a bound spell that gives units 6 inches away ASF expect this feature to get dispelled often but the best part are the options you can buy for 25 points Balefire : enemy spell casters 24 inches away are minus one for casting or Unholy Loadstone: which gives you extra guys when you heal, myself I always bring the Balefire option.

regarding your list,
one important thing to keep in mind is Undead cannot march unless they are 12 inches from their general or 6 inches from a vampire,so if possible try to convert the empire wizards into vampires that way your army can move.

and for vampire power choices I always give my vampires Infinite Hatred being able to reroll your misses every time for only 25 points, this power has helped me so many times in games my vampires don't leave the crypt with out it.

ChaosVC
02-12-2009, 09:34
I say go buy them all new models and make GW richer and you happier so we can all have pretty, well painted models and a GW that doesn't go bankrupt.

I agree the new VC models are awesome and worth every dollar, peny and cents! Thats why I am still broke...