PDA

View Full Version : Noob Needs Help with dwarfs

IndianaMadman
27-11-2009, 13:44
First I apoligize if this is in the wrong place, but my friend just got my into Warhammer and I aquired dwarfs in a trade and I cant figure out how to build an army with them. It needs to be 1500 points but I have a limited pool to draw from. So I was looking for suggestions on what I should go, here is my pool:

32 Dwarf Warriors (Full Command) (This are unassembled so they can be anything)
20 Longbeards (Full Command)
20 Hammerers (Full Command)
20 Slayers (Full Command)
20 Ironbreakers (Full Command)
20 Thunderers (Full Command)
14 Quarrlers
10 Rangers
06 Miners
1 Rune Lord on Anvil of Doom
2 Cannon
1 Flame Cannon
2 Bolt Thrower
1 Grudge Thrower
1 Gyrocopter
1 Josef Bugman
1 Army Battle Standard Bearer
1 Dwarf Lord

Current Army List:
Heroes:
Thane - Runic Battle Standard (Stoicism), Oath Stone. 110 Points
Runesmith - Shield, 2x Spelleater Rune 172 Points
Dragon Slayer - Runic Weapon (Rune of Cleaving, Rune of Fury, Master Rune of Swiftness) 120 points

Core Units
20 Dwarf Warriors - Shields, Full Command 205 Points (Thane joins here)
20 Thunderers - Shields, Full Command 325 Points
10 Longbeards - Shields, Full Command 145 Points (Rune Smith Joins Here)

Special Units
Cannon - Enginner with Dwarf Handgun 110 Points
Slayers - Full Command 238 Points (Dragon Slayer Joins Here)

IndianaMadman
27-11-2009, 16:40
Updated with a possible army list.

IndianaMadman
27-11-2009, 21:51
Any dwarf players out there can give me a hand?

Nathangonmad
27-11-2009, 22:18
Ok first things first, how many points is that list?

Red Metal
27-11-2009, 23:15
First I apoligize if this is in the wrong place, but my friend just got my into Warhammer and I aquired dwarfs in a trade and I cant figure out how to build an army with them. It needs to be 1500 points but I have a limited pool to draw from. So I was looking for suggestions on what I should go, here is my pool:

32 Dwarf Warriors (Full Command) (This are unassembled so they can be anything)
20 Longbeards (Full Command)
20 Hammerers (Full Command)
20 Slayers (Full Command)
20 Ironbreakers (Full Command)
20 Thunderers (Full Command)
14 Quarrlers
10 Rangers
06 Miners
1 Rune Lord on Anvil of Doom
2 Cannon
1 Flame Cannon
2 Bolt Thrower
1 Grudge Thrower
1 Gyrocopter
1 Josef Bugman
1 Army Battle Standard Bearer
1 Dwarf Lord

Current Army List:
Heroes:
Thane - Runic Battle Standard (Stoicism), Oath Stone. 110 Points
Runesmith - Shield, 2x Spelleater Rune 172 Points
Dragon Slayer - Runic Weapon (Rune of Cleaving, Rune of Fury, Master Rune of Swiftness) 120 points

Core Units
20 Dwarf Warriors - Shields, Full Command 205 Points (Thane joins here)
20 Thunderers - Shields, Full Command 325 Points
10 Longbeards - Shields, Full Command 145 Points (Rune Smith Joins Here)

Special Units
Cannon - Enginner with Dwarf Handgun 110 Points
Slayers - Full Command 238 Points (Dragon Slayer Joins Here)

I would drop a few things. Starting with the FC on the Thunderers - they should just be run in lines of ten without Command, because the the Standard is easy points for your opponent. I would also drop the Command on the Slayers, as they are better without it. The Slayers are more of a finesse unit, rather than a frontline beatstick, IMO - I would actually drop the Slayers completely. The Dragon Slayer should be dropped - at 1,500pts, I think you'll be fine without his abilities and I think you'll get more use out of another Thane. I would also drop the BSB and redesign that Thane. Dwarves win games thru having big blocks of infantry succeed with CR. They also only really kill alot with their Thanes, so you should trick out a Thane with a good close-combat build (there are several listed on this site). The Runesmith should have a great weapon for the same reason as the Thane. Drop the Engineer on the Cannon.

Now I would add a few things, as well. RoForging on the Cannon. More troops in the Longbeards unit - especially if this unit is packing a Thane, you want to keep him protected with maybe 20 Longbeards. Bolt throwers, add both to this list somehow. Trick out your Thane. If you drop the Dragon Slayer and the Slayer unit, most of this should be possible.

IndianaMadman
28-11-2009, 14:33
New Army List:
Heroes:
Thane - Great Weapon, Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Stone, Rune of Fire, Rune of Fury (125 Points)
Runesmith - Great Weapon, 2x Spelleater Rune, Master Rune of Balance (224 Points)

Core Units
20 Dwarf Warriors - Shields, Full Command (205 Points) <- Runesmith
10 Thunderers (140 Points)
20 Longbeards - Shields, Full Command (220 Points) <- Thane

Special Units
Cannon - Rune Of Forging (125 Points)
2 Bolt Throwers, 2 Master Rune of Skewering (150 Points)

Rare Unit
Gyrocopter

Total Points: 1469

Red Metal
28-11-2009, 16:51
New Army List:
Heroes:
Thane - Great Weapon, Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Stone, Rune of Fire, Rune of Fury (125 Points)
Runesmith - Great Weapon, 2x Spelleater Rune, Master Rune of Balance (224 Points)

Core Units
20 Dwarf Warriors - Shields, Full Command (205 Points) <- Runesmith
20 Longbeards - Shields, Full Command (220 Points) <- Thane

Special Units
Cannon - Rune Of Forging (125 Points)
2 Bolt Throwers, 2 Master Rune of Skewering (150 Points)

Rare Unit
Gyrocopter

Total Points: 1469

Better, but you might want to lose a few things. I'd trim down the Runesmith, there's no reason to run him at 200+ pts at this level; you'd be better served with another combat Thane or a lighter Runesmith. I know the Spelleater Rune is nice, but you'd have to be really nervous about the Magic phase to be bringing two of those. Bolt Throwers should always have RoPenetration - that makes them S7 and a chariot killer; besides you can't legally use two of the same Master Rune because it violates the rules on Rune usage. Give one BT a RoPenetration and the other RoPenetration and RoBurning. Also, if you're worried about the BT's shooting, just take an Engineer - it's less points than the Rune, is reuseable, but doesn't provide the same high to-hit bonus. Still a better bargain, though.

Be careful with the Gyrocopter. I never use them, but I know they're good at marching blocking - this should buy you a few more turns of shooting.

Scaly
28-11-2009, 20:39
First blush:

Bump up the Dwarf Warriors and the Longbeards units to minimum 25 (30 is better). One shooting wound (2 with the characters) takes away 1 CR as they stand.

Give Thunderers Shields. Ten points to make these guys more survivable is points well spent.

MR of Gromril makes the R of Stone (on the Thane) unneeded remove that.

You cant take Runes on a Great Axe (on the Thane) without the Master Rune that specifically says it allows you to do so either remove the runes or remove the great axe.

Put Engineers on the Bolt Throwers as well as the previously mentioned rune of penetration.

Beyond that a decent first list. I recommend dropping some of the fancier stuff like runes in favor of more Warriors but thats just the horde player I am.