PDA

View Full Version : super magic heavy vamps.

Chaseyboy1er
27-11-2009, 22:31
alright, so at my local GW, there is no one there that really plays pick up games, so i've decided to attempt and make a very competitive vampires list.
so here's what i came up with.

vampire lord, extra magic level, dark acolyte, lord of the dead, master of the black arts, flayed hauber, rod of flaming death, crown of the damned-450

vampire, avatar of death(shield), walking death, Battle standard, Drakenhof banner-295
vampire, Dark acolyte, Lord of the dead, book of arhkon, cadaverous cuirass-195
vampire, dark acolyte, lord of the dead, staff of damnation-185

11 skeletons, command, standard of everlasting death-123
11 skeletons, command, banner of hellfire, spears-129
11 skeletons, command, spears-119
corpse cart, unholy lodestone-100

19 grave guard, command, banner of the barrows-303

3 wraiths-150

so my idea is to put the lord in with the handweapon shield skeletons and put them dead in the center. then i would like to have some sort of a checkerboard going with the skeletons and the corpse carts like this:
{spears][cart][handweapon][cart][spears][cart]

now the other two vampires will vary, depending on where they are more needed. the side with the book of arkhan vampire will also have the wraiths on their side. the grave guard will be joined by the bsb, and they will be put next to the cart that has no two units next to it.

so how does it look?

Chaseyboy1er
28-11-2009, 02:21
no one has anything to say?

beastgod
28-11-2009, 17:53
Can Your lord realy take the flayed haulber when you dont have avatar of death or dreadnight uppgrade ? an charakter that dont have access to normal armour cant take magic armour and an Vampire without avatar or dreadknight dont have access to any normal armour or have I wrong?

The list look solid but i think you can skip one corpsecart to get some hounds or bats that can redirect enemy units.

ARabidNun
28-11-2009, 19:15
I am pretty certain the vampire can still take magical armor as he is still classified as a character.

As for the avatar of death, that basically gives you an armor combo because that is the only way you can buy mundane armor for the vampires. At least that is how I have used it. Sometimes you might want to save magic points for weapons, enchanted items etc.. but still want basic mundane armor which comes from the vampire special points.

As for the list, I will agree with beastgod that 3 corpse carts may be a bit much. For a tourney list I would either throw in a couple of units of dire wolves for charge misdirection and screening or a unit of fell bats for enemy warmachines and screening.

Apart from that is seems pretty solid. I may also consider dropping the rod of flaming death and replace it for either the staff of damnation or commandment. You have taken lord of the dead, so the staff will be beneficial to any extra units of created skeletons and any friendly unit within 12", and the crown will be good if you use the unit of graveguard as your heavy hitter with the general camping in a small unit of skellies behind. A unit of graveguard with regeneration, killing blow, heavy armor AND WS 7 is just plain sick.

Chaseyboy1er
29-11-2009, 01:37
The list look solid but i think you can skip one corpsecart to get some hounds or bats that can redirect enemy units.

well, that's what raise dead is for sir. i raise them, then i make more, so a 30 man unit that will be a tarpit will be worth 50 victory points.

gerrymander61
29-11-2009, 05:49
I am pretty certain the vampire can still take magical armor as he is still classified as a character.

That has nothing to do with it. A high elf archmage is a character but he cannot take magic armor because he cannot normally wear armor. The BRB says he a character cannot be given magic armor unless he is allowed to wear normal armor. To the OP you *may* have trouble with some people when it comes to giving your characters magic armor without first having death knight or avatar of death because *technically* armor isn't in their "allowed equipment." You should be fine with most people though.

RealEvilGenius
29-11-2009, 13:07
In the Vampire Counts army book under the armor section of magic equipment it specifically states that vampire are always allowed to purchase magical armor. They are an exception to the normal rule.

gerrymander61
29-11-2009, 16:19
In the Vampire Counts army book under the armor section of magic equipment it specifically states that vampire are always allowed to purchase magical armor. They are an exception to the normal rule.

Oh cool, I hadn't noticed that. Scratch what I said earlier then.