PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian Virtues and Magic Items

Cjwee
28-11-2009, 01:23
so my friend is starting bretonnia, and he's claiming that he can take a virtue AND an additional 50 points worth of magic items. After reading the entry im' convinced that the book meant a total of 50 points including the virtue. What do you guys think / redirect to a link.

Thanks!

Alathir
28-11-2009, 02:13
No, he can only take a maximum combination of 50 points worth of virtues and items.

The text is extremely clear.
Bretonnian Army Book, pg's 66-67
"May choose one Virtue from the Virtues of the Chivalric Knight list and a mix of magic items from the Common or Bretonnian magic items list with a maximum total value of 100 pts."

narrativium
28-11-2009, 09:37
Indeed. If the rule was to choose a Virtue, and also to choose a mix, then it would have been in two sentences on separate lines. Army books are consistent in this regard.

Artinam
28-11-2009, 12:10
I agree with Alathir, although it will be likely changed in the next book, the current description is very clear.

So a combination of the two to the maximum allowed point value.

EldarBishop
28-11-2009, 13:21
The ONLY exception to this in the Bretonnian list is that the BSB is allowed to take a Virtue and then still take a Magic Banner of any point value. (this can push the Paladin over the 50 limit)

Cjwee
28-11-2009, 14:25
alright thanks guys!

marinhcst
28-11-2009, 15:06
Tell your friend god luck with the brets i used to play with them before and they didnt reached my expectations so i turned to daemons instead :)

Harwammer
28-11-2009, 15:19
Bretonnian Army Book, pg's 66-67
"May choose one Virtue from the Virtues of the Chivalric Knight list and a mix of magic items from the Common or Bretonnian magic items list with a maximum total value of 100 pts."

Is the rule regarding virtues being part of magic items allowance given elsewhere too?

They way I read it that phrasing can mean at least two opposing things:

1)
May choose (one Virtue from the Virtues of the Chivalric Knight list) and (a mix of magic items from the Common or Bretonnian magic items list with a maximum total value of 100 pts),

ie

May choose a mix of magic items from the Common or Bretonnian magic items list with a maximum total value of 100 pts and one Virtue from the Virtues of the Chivalric Knight list.

2)
or the interpretation that seems popular:

May choose (one Virtue from the Virtues of the Chivalric Knight list and a mix of magic items from the Common or Bretonnian magic items list) with a maximum total value of 100 pts

ie

May choose, with a maximum total value of 100 pts, one Virtue from the Virtues of the Chivalric Knight list and a mix of magic items from the Common or Bretonnian magic items list.

*Obviously I'm using brackets to denote where bits of rule interaction start and end.

Nurgling Chieftain
28-11-2009, 20:23
EDIT: Harwammer, my Bretonnian army book is not even phrased like that. It says: "May choose a mix of magic items from the Common or Bretonnian magic items list and one virtue from the Virtues of the Chivalric Knight list with a combined maximum total of 100/50 points." No room for argument there, at all.

Rodman49
29-11-2009, 09:20
Tell your friend god luck with the brets i used to play with them before and they didnt reached my expectations so i turned to daemons instead :)

Roll better Ward Saves man. I've seen our Bret player lose only twice. In 3 years. Over 100 games played - against some hard ass lists. If you stop believing in probability that army does wonders.

EldarBishop
29-11-2009, 13:49
Brets can still be a competitive... I'm probably around the 75% for wins with my Brets (in tourneys).

Though from what I've seen of the new Skaven list, that might be a difficult fight now.

Harwammer
29-11-2009, 17:15
EDIT: Harwammer, my Bretonnian army book is not even phrased like that.

Damn, thats what I get for trusting a quote on a forum. Sorry, I should have checked a copy of the book before sowing the seeds of confusion, rather than trusting a "quote".

bazragh elfburna
04-12-2009, 16:37
Marin u should quit powercreeping and try to play an army u actually like not an army wich PWNS all:D

BTW mods sry I know him RL so I guess Im allowed to tease him a bit.

Shield of Freedom
05-12-2009, 01:51
Try these combos: all characters are on barded Bretonnian warhorses.

Lord: Silver lance of the blessed, Grail Shield. (needs grail vow)

Lord: Morning Star of Fracasse, Grail Shield, Gauntlet of the Duel, Virtue of Confidence. (this one is killer in challenges, I've taken on elves on dragons and Chaos Warrior lords no problem).

Paladin: Virtue of Knightly Temper, Enchanged Shield. (give him a lance, the Grail vow, and stick him with Grail Knights or Knights Errant, challenge heroes {not lords} or kill rank and file).

EldarBishop
06-12-2009, 18:39
Try these combos:
Lord: Morning Star of Fracasse, Grail Shield, Gauntlet of the Duel, Virtue of Confidence.

I use this combo quite often... its very nice vs other characters :p

Rolo Ramone
09-12-2009, 15:17
[B]Lord: Morning Star of Fracasse, Grail Shield, Gauntlet of the Duel, Virtue of Confidence. (this one is killer in challenges, I've taken on elves on dragons and Chaos Warrior lords no problem).

Thatīs a good one. If you want a Lord for Challenges, I use Lance of Artois, Gauntlet of the Duel, Virtue of Confidence and Grail Shield (Or enchanted shield maybe).

Tarian
09-12-2009, 21:01
A friend I know uses Virtue of Knightly Temper and the Armour of Argulf. WS10 with one additional attack per would is nasty.