PDA

View Full Version : Starting my Orcs.

Brother Alexos
28-11-2009, 04:19
Okay, my Birthday is tommorrow, and I am going to start an Orcy force. With my father, this will probably mean the Brigade set, but it could range all the way down to two sets of Orc Warrors.

I am wondering if the tips set down by GW on how to collect Orcs is valid, specifically a Fluff based one.

Next question is the Game Turn. I have heard of people rolling for movement and how far they may go, which confuses me. Also, do you roll animosity every turn? I bet this is detailed in the armybook, but I don't have it yet.

Now, I was wondering if anyone knew when the next tourny is for WHFB? I want to have a force done by then, and want to know if it is do able.

I heard on the Astronomican that the next installment of Fantasy would include a starter set of Orcs and Empire, can anyone confirm this? Also, when does this next installment come out?

rtunian
28-11-2009, 14:01
cheers!

regarding how to collect an army...
you are probably going to want some of everything in the o&g list. with limited exceptions, the range is very fun and very good looking, and makes for good varied games. i <3 o&g because i can field many different types of lists with it, and they are all fun.

regarding game turn & rolling for movement...
fleeing units, squig hoppers, pump wagons, and night goblin fanatics move a random distance. each turn in the movement phase, during compulsory moves, you must roll 2d6 or 3d6 for each of them (depending on what it is) to determine their move value for that turn. animosity is rolled at the start of the turn phase every single turn (6 times for you)

regarding tourneys...
the annual, national fantasy tourny "ard boyz" just ended. you should go to your local gw or indie store and ask about local events

regarding next edition & starter set...
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228304

Fobster
28-11-2009, 20:36
I wouldn't, it seems large parts of the range is being redone. A catalogue came with the last oz white dwarf and the orc model in it looked like a new sculpt. Either that or someone converted the shoulder for some reason.

Da GoBBo
29-11-2009, 00:56
you are probably going to want some of everything in the o&g list. with limited exceptions, the range is very fun and very good looking, and makes for good varied games.

You'r evil, advicing a newcomer to gather a 6000 point army ;)

Storak
29-11-2009, 01:10
IF a new O&G book comes out in early 2011 (i typically expect all dates to be about 6-12 months off, most releases are significantly late...), i would be really cautious about what to buy.

with the sorry state of O&G at the moment, you might be able to get good EBAY deals. it also depends, on how fast you paint. and how fast you want to play, and in what circumstances.

the way O&G are now, i would get the cheap stuff that i can get from friends, boxes and online auctions. i would proxy a lot (cavalry bases for example are pretty good..), and see how i like the army. then i d build slowly, waiting with major purchases for the new book and models.

Stumpy
29-11-2009, 01:10
Don't buy common gobbos or boar boys. They're one of those rare units that both looks bad AND underperforms.
Asking about your tournaments isn't going to get much answers on an international forum. Ask your local GW if they know of any, or if there is a state wargaming website.

Storak
29-11-2009, 01:14
Don't buy common gobbos or boar boys. They're one of those rare units that both looks bad AND underperforms.
Asking about your tournaments isn't going to get much answers on an international forum. Ask your local GW if they know of any, or if there is a state wargaming website.

all very true. if you want competitive tournaments, rethink your army choice....

Stumpy
29-11-2009, 01:22
If its a tourney with army composition you're all well and good. As far as I've found those are the ones you should go to.

Brother Alexos
29-11-2009, 04:38
Okay, thank you.

Da GoBBo, I am going to eventually have 6,000points, regardless of what others say.

Also, turns out I will probably not be able to get the Brigade, though I am most definately getting the Battalion. I think I can use some underpreforming units, such as gobbos, just to swamp other units.

Braad
29-11-2009, 10:02
Congrats on your birthday.

And on picking this army! While it is true it does tend to underperform a bit, it still is a really fun army, and varied too. I'm one of those guys who wants at least 1 of each unit, and I'm getting very close to it, and still not getting bored at doing so! (up to 7500 points of legal army right now)

About the catalogue Fobster is talking about, I got it right here (if it is the one with Azhag on the back?). There are no models in it that currently are not available. The new 'warrior' he is talking about, I think he means one of the models that can be found in the collectors range.
Models I think that could be changed are common gobbo's, boar boyz (strongest rumours on these, as we've seen a new boar model), savages (I hope most for these), and maybe there could be new orc warriors (just an assumption, nothing heard on those yet), as these are also quite old. However, orcs probably won't change much in appearance and style, so its safe to buy if you ask me. They can be easily combined with the box of plastic 40k basic Ork boyz too, for variety, as these have little SF-stuff, apart from their guns.
As boars might change, you may stay away from stuff with boars, if you want all boars in your army to be the same, and convert stuff when we got something new (if we get it).

Animosity is rolled every turn. On a 1, you can't do anything, on a 6, you get some extra movement. In general, only units of 5+ orc or goblin models test for animosity.

Da GoBBo
29-11-2009, 10:53
Da GoBBo, I am going to eventually have 6,000points, regardless of what others say.

And you should :) It took me the better part of a decade to get there, buying a little something every now and than.

Brother Alexos
01-12-2009, 02:32
Yeah, I just got the book and the Battalion last night, and I have opted to make it to where the Gobbos have bows (need a long ranged unit for my first game, just my little OCD.) The Orcs have Choppas and Sheilds, and there is a Big Boss on Chariot, with Shagga's Screamin' Sword. I have ammased about fifty dollars from B-Day Monies, and will be getting an Orc Boss on Wyvern (I need one.) and I will recieve a further 50 dollars from my mother, which will go towards getting a Giant.

At least that is the plan, and for Christmas I will probably strive to get another Battalion, and maybe some Black Orcs, just to beef up my force to a good solid 1,000.

For the fluff, that will be developed soon.

warhawk95
01-12-2009, 02:38
avian has a really good thread in his sig for begginer orc players, i read it when i considered them as my first, so look for a post by him (shouldnt be hard) and read his articles on O&G they are really helpful. good luck with da green ones, they seem fun and will probably be my next army when i get the money (AKA christmas)

Jind_Singh
01-12-2009, 02:48
Firstly welcome to the greenskin clan!
And happy birthday (if it hasn't already come yet, in which case belated happy birthday, and if its coming, then this is just a happy day greeting!)

Since your new you'd be best off...

1) Buying Battle for Skull pass (BFSP) 1st - you get a complete 500 point Night Goblin army, and pretty much most Orc & Goblin armies include the Night Goblins.
Add maybe 1-2 boxes of fanatics and your good to go! The dwarves you can sell/trade off for more Orcy stuff.
This also gives you the current rules, and even if the new edition comes out next year it'll be very close to the old one.
2) BFSP also gives you a 500pt army for $90 as opposed to battalian box for $110
3) You will need some orc boy units, but I am not sure if they will relaunch the orc boyz! So buy models you know wont get changed - Squig Hoppers, Squig Herds, Black Orcs, giant, Doom Diver, Rock Lobba, Trolls
4) To make the list solid you also need at least 2 units of Orc boyz - but I'd look for second hand buys from the internet.
5) As for tournments, mmmm typically you see

Orc Warboss
Orc BSB (Morks Spirit totem)
Level 2 shaman
Level 2 shaman

25 orc boyz
25 orc boyz
15-20 black orcs
30 night gobbos with nets, fanatics
giant
2 spear chuckas
doom diver