PDA

View Full Version : Eldar "undergoing playtesting"

massey
28-11-2009, 04:54
In the latest WD, they do a review of the "Tale of Four Gamers" article they did several months ago. In it, they review each army that participated in the competition. When they get to the Eldar guy, they mention that he's turned his army over to the playtesting guys for review. To me, this reads as if Eldar are on the clock for a new codex. So, what does everyone think? I'd post this in the rumors board, but there's nothing new other than Eldar might have started development, and the rumors board seems a bit twitchy lately.

Anyone have any more news on this? The way I see it, this puts them less than 18 months out. If they're already playtesting, it means they've been doing some work.

spud75
28-11-2009, 11:46
Or maybe playtesting against OTHER armies in development!

FarseerPhil
28-11-2009, 12:35
I seriously doubt they're working on the Eldar codex at the moment - Dark Eldar and Necrons are supposedly deep in development along with the 8th edition of Warhammer Fantasy, so I don't think so - but then anything is possible I guess.

Irisado
28-11-2009, 13:20
When they get to the Eldar guy, they mention that he's turned his army over to the playtesting guys for review. To me, this reads as if Eldar are on the clock for a new codex. So, what does everyone think?

I feel it's wishful thinking to assume that this has anything whatsoever to do with the development of a new Eldar Codex. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that, since the army could be being used for a whole variety of projects, such as the development of other codices, or some kind of scenario.

A new Eldar Codex is a long way off in my opinion.

sigur
28-11-2009, 13:34
...To me, this reads as if Eldar are on the clock for a new codex. ...

You misread that.

The way I see it, this puts them less than 18 months out. If they're already playtesting, it means they've been doing some work.

You're seeing it wrong I'm afraid.

Fable
28-11-2009, 14:17
When they get to the Eldar guy, they mention that he's turned his army over to the playtesting guys for review. To me, this reads as if Eldar are on the clock for a new codex.

Brim flat out shot down this rumor in the BA thread on the rumors page.

Rick Blaine
28-11-2009, 15:03
What is this "playtesting" you speak of?

Spider-pope
28-11-2009, 15:18
Given that the army in question was designed to be a tough tournement army, it's more likely it was chosen to see how another race in development stood up against it than as part of any Eldar development.

Either that or he's sold it.

Flame Boy
28-11-2009, 16:17
Given that the army in question was designed to be a tough tournement army, it's more likely it was chosen to see how another race in development stood up against it than as part of any Eldar development.

Either that or he's sold it.

That's what I was thinking. If you get a tough, effective army build developed from a tournament-minded gamer, you can test another new codex to test it's resistance to those tactics. If it's the army I'm thinking of, it had quite a few jetbikes. If they are testing say, Dark Eldar against that army, it would give them a fair idea how mobile or flexible they are compared to the current Craftworld list. No that I'm guessing that's what they are doing, but it's an example.