PDA

View Full Version : Mordian Officer can be Cadian Company Commander?

Cecil
28-11-2009, 08:10
Mordian Officer can be Cadian Company Commander (or Platoon Commander) without and problems?

sigur
28-11-2009, 10:28
I guess he could. It's a bit hard with Cadians of course because of their whole military tradition they take much pride in. But I guess it's not unlikely that an off-worlder becomes company commander of a company from another world. I can only presume but I guess it's even more likely to have off-worlders in higher up ranks than in any platoon-level function.

Askil the Undecided
28-11-2009, 10:45
Conglomerate regiments, bought commisions, Progena, imported expertise, upper echelon observers there are loads of reasons for what most of the regiment would consider an offworlder to command IG regiments.

Minister
28-11-2009, 12:35
Bought commissions are rather rare in the Guard, though. Buying PDF commissions which carry over, yes, using political influence to get a promotion, again yes, but outright purchace doesn't seem to be part of it.

On the other hand, a Cadian of noble blood would have a family history and warrior code that the MOrdians could respect, and as long as he's willing to adopt the traditions of his new unit it could work.

Cecil
28-11-2009, 13:04
Two Companies from Cadia and Mordian try defend some strategic point. In battle Cadian Commander die (maybe Sniper shot). Without Commander Cadians have only couple Junior Officers and now:
- Cadians choose one from Junior Officers to command?
- Mordian Commander take command because is last Senior Officer?

Spider-pope
28-11-2009, 13:32
Two Companies from Cadia and Mordian try defend some strategic point. In battle Cadian Commander die (maybe Sniper shot). Without Commander Cadians have only couple Junior Officers and now:
- Cadians choose one from Junior Officers to command?
- Mordian Commander take command because is last Senior Officer?

Well something similar occurred in the Gaunts Ghosts books, the Tanith 1st were left short of senior command officers, whilst the Belladon 81st had plenty of officers, but not enough troops. So the two regiments were merged.

So in the situation you described, if there were no Cadians with adequate experience to command their regiment, then they probably would be merged with the Mordians. Whether it lasted beyond that particular campaign would depend on how well the merge worked.

baphomael
28-11-2009, 13:39
For a *company* commander, it'd be a bit difficult, since Cadia has its own experienced officer class.

For higher echelon commanders it might work, if (say) in a warzone a Cadian and Mordian regiment are both depleted so much they end up getting combined (as the Tanith 1st did), and if the Mordian is the only suitable officer then he'd get the regiment.
But then, realisitically those regiments would probably be combined with other home regiments anyway for the sake of cohesion - its not like theres a lack of Cadians or Mordians anyways.

I suppose it'd be an ad-hoc on-the-field short-term affair rather than a permanent fixture. But for the sake of unit cohesion, the Munitorum would be pretty hesitant about putting a 'foreign' officer in command of the unit unless (like with the Tanith 1st) there is no other option.

Course, when you get to higher staff officer level, with Marshals, Generals, Lord-Commanders etc, then homeworld doesnt really matter so much since they exist beyond regimental affiliations.

Question is, why do you want a Mordian company commander for a Cadian company? Is it just for the model (if so, just use the Mordian model as a Cadian officer - officers dont really have such a set uniform, and Mordian officers have a generic dress-uniform officer thing going on anyways) or have you got some background that you want to check is plausible or something?

dangermouse425
28-11-2009, 13:41
And from a gaming perspective, it looks cool if the highest ranking Officer is dressed differently, you could perhaps paint him differently to the standard Mordian scheme and say that is that Company's dress uniform, rather than their standard fatigues.

Cecil
28-11-2009, 15:16
Question is, why do you want a Mordian company commander for a Cadian company? Is it just for the model (if so, just use the Mordian model as a Cadian officer - officers dont really have such a set uniform, and Mordian officers have a generic dress-uniform officer thing going on anyways) or have you got some background that you want to check is plausible or something?
Both :evilgrin:

Because i don't have original Mordians models i decide convert plastic Cadians.
I found on CoolMiniOrNot great inspiration:
http://coolminiornot.com/pics/pics8/img42c693cb445e5.jpg
"The torso and the head were from the new IG tank sprue and the rest of the parts were from the Cadian boxed set. The frilly shoulderboards were made from green stuff. The cargo pockets were shaved off and the bloodstripes were made from green stuff."

Now i have enough parts only for Mordian Commander (so for now i must use Cadians for rest infantry) but in future i want convert all my Cadians to Mordians.

Eulenspiegel
28-11-2009, 21:51
The artillery spotter (a senior officer) accompanies the forward regiments, ...... where´s the problem?

Askil the Undecided
28-11-2009, 23:07
To be perfectly honest the munitorum doesn't give a rat's about who commands as long as a forces strength on paper is judged sufficent and gets the job done.

Mordian officers in a Cadian regiment with catachan snipers/sappers and valhallan tanks supported by tallarn rough riders and vostroyan mortar batteries aren't out of the question it's just unlikely a single regiment would survive long enough to get amalgamated so many times.

borithan
03-12-2009, 09:26
Well something similar occurred in the Gaunts Ghosts books, the Tanith 1st were left short of senior command officersDid they ever have any senior command officers? They had a commissar who only acted as a command officer while fighting in that hive place, and a bunch of colonels, majors etc who acted more like NCOs/junior officers.

Sorry, just a problem I had with the way Dan Abnett presented officers in the Tanith. Their actions would have better suited a story based around a single company, rather than a regiment.

Bunnahabhain
03-12-2009, 13:11
There are situations where it is possible to have a company commander from a different regiment to the troops he is commanding. However, it is unlikely.

A company commander ( captain or major) should know the strengths of the platoons and squads under their command, and should know all the men in them. This is unlikely to be true if the they're an outsider.

The higher up the chain of command, the more open you are to political interference, and being replaced with an outsider. A battalion commander, who will be in charge of a few infantry companies, and some support elements, so 500-700 men won't know them all.
A Regiment, of a couple of infantry battalions, and more support elements will be 2000-3000 men, and a division is a few regiments with support battalions, ~10,000 men. By this point, political interference, officer swapping etc will be rife.

This is an educated guess from looking at the military forces of dictatorships, where the political command is unable to resist fiddling with the professional soldiers, ie Stalins Red Army and the German armed forces 1942-45.