PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Army Question

IndianaMadman
28-11-2009, 16:06
I finally have all the dwarf stuff I need for a really nice gunline army and am looking to start a second army.

I am stuck between Skaven and Ogre Kingdoms. I like Skaven because they look awesome and they have a melee feel. I like Ogre Kingdoms cause who dosent like to hulk smash I mean Come On.

Which is better for a semi new player looking to expand. Dwarfs dont ever really move that is why im looking for a speedier playstyle (movement).

Also price is an option, I have noticed the Ogre Kingdoms is more expensive per box than Skaven but they need fewer pieces, while on the other hand Skaven are cheaper per box but you need more.

So I figured I would get opinions on which is best.

Condottiere
28-11-2009, 16:30
Do you have any other criteria than price and movement?

Jind_Singh
28-11-2009, 17:29
OK mate - you made life easy here!

Skaven - GOOD STUFF: Opposite to the dwarves in that they dont have elite combat units for the majority of their army, they have a hellish magic phase, they have a horde army, and can field monstors and huge warmachines. They have some yummy looking units, especially the new stuff made, clanrats, storm vermin, doomwheel, screaming bell/furnance kit, the slowest skaven moves a full TWO INCHES faster than the speediest dwarf!
BAD STUFF: VERY EXENSIVE!! In 1500pts you can see 2 units of slaves, 2 units of clan rats, 1 unit of plauge monks, 1 Furnace, 1 doomwheel, 2 weapon crews, 5 plauge censor bearers, 5 gutter runners, 3 character models - thats a HECK OF A LOT of models!!!

Ogre Kingdoms: Good Stuff - they are the COMPLETE opposite to the dwarve army. An Ogre at basic moving speed (6") moves as fast as a marching dwarf - so very fast. They have perhaps one of the most gorgeous model lines, with only 2-3 units that look ok, not amazing, but everything else is WOW! They are an elite army, you'd think that with big, hulking monstors with T3, 3 wounds they would be easy to play with - NO! One of the harder (maybe hardest) armies to truly learn and appreciate. They will offer you a challange you, and play 100& differently to the dwarves, and for really big battles they can ally with the dwarf army and you can use both armies togehter for epic fights. THEY ARE CHEAP!!! 2 battalians is pretty much a 2000pt army when you add characters, a few specials, and a rare choice - and you paint 3 ogres you got yourslef a unit. You paint 3 slaves - 17 more to go, with maybe 2-3 units of 20 after that!!! EKK!!!

BAD STUFF: As mentioned above they are a strange army to get the hang of, and it might take more than a few games to get the hang of them - but dont let this put you off them as they are great!!! I love them personally, having just started building the models (though they been sitting under my bed for almost a year!), and I will start Skaven next so its not like I dont like them!

But for cost and speed the Ogres beat the rats twice - not bad!!!

And I been seeing lately with my partially put together army that the Ogres are not bad in a fight - My 2 Iron Guts flanked a unit of 20 Clanrats with their BSB and procceded to hack them down to shreds, and then overan and destroyed the unit! And with the sheer volume of units I can field its not hard to get flank charges off with the Fat Boys!

IndianaMadman
28-11-2009, 17:32
Do you have any other criteria than price and movement?

Looking for fun to play as well, dwarfs seem to get boring at times.

Jind_Singh
29-11-2009, 08:09
again both armies are fun = but in different ways
Skaven can cause as much hurt and pain to their own units as the enemy!
ogres are immense fun as you get similar units (lead belchers, scrap launchers, gnoblars) that can hurt you as well as the enemy, but are immense fun - why? The army book is a great read, amazing artwork to inspire you, the models are so damn sexy, the army looks good, feels good, is easy to collect and paint, and your characters add tons of flavour over other armies.
and as they are ogres you never take life seriously - but they can dish out all sorts of pain and hurt if used in the right hands!

The Red Scourge
29-11-2009, 08:23
My vote goes to the skaven. The ratmen are fun in many ways, even when they beat you up :)

Also the skaven/dwarf relationship is pretty strained, so would make for a fluffy battle, if you wanted to borrow someone an army and introduce them to the game :)

Lowmans
29-11-2009, 09:35
MSU Ogres = a lot of fun.

Might be worth waiting a couple of months to see what the Beastman book brings....

However, why not give a more attacking Dwarf style a try?

Leave the guns at home and use:

Strollaz Rune, possibly Anvil of Doom, Miners, Gyrocopters

All of a sudden you're right in your opponents face!

You might not win tournaments with this but it's great fun!

L

cbelm
29-11-2009, 10:20
Skaven are a large investment in both time and money. My 1k army has 103 models, and there's not a lot of variety in the painting. They are, however, heaps of fun to play with.

O&G'sRule
29-11-2009, 14:53
I wouldn't do skaven if i already had dwarfs. Although they aren't nearly as reliable, skaven have a similar style to dwarfs. blocks of infantry with alot of heavy shooting/artillery.

Red Metal
29-11-2009, 15:34
I've been considering an OK army for awhile now - they look fantastic. I like the idea of a challenging army over something that could easily be an auto-win, like Daemons. During 6th Ed, I played O&G and barely ever won, but for me the point in playing them was more for fun and when they actually did win, that was pleasant surprise. Plus, I really like the O&G models, so painting was a breeze.

From a tactical standpoint, I would say be careful with the OK, because they're not as "Hulk Smash" as I've read and heard about. They need alittle more finesse to get into positions to cause great amounts of damage.