PDA

View Full Version : north american warhammer tournament round 1

rtunian
28-11-2009, 17:35
"bring in 2500 points of your favorite warhammer army, and play a game against an opponent of your choice."

is it me, or is this subject to extreme amounts of abuse/foul play? maybe i'm just being my usual cynical self, but this seems pretty open to collusion. sure, the majority of gamers might be decent folk, but only a handful of people are going to get prizes, and we all know how the green monster can rear its ugly head where prizes are concerned...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=4800005&pIndex=0&aId=6200002a&start=1

are they being short-sighted?
or do they just have more faith in people than i?

what do you think?

(please do NOT explain methods for defrauding/exploiting this tournament)

Thunderfist
29-11-2009, 16:13
and play a game against an opponent of your choice

Nope, can't see anything fishy about it :rolleyes:

There will probably be random matchups later on I guess (as this was only "round 1"?), or it has to be the worst idea ever.

Jind_Singh
29-11-2009, 18:29
Sounds pretty cool actually, I'm suprised that theres no 'random line up's were people just come in at a certain time and play a game v's a random opponent, but look at your average gaming crowd - For the most part the group is pretty good.
My only problem is from my four armies only the DoC and Greenskins are built, the Empire & Ogre Kingdoms need a lot of work, I don't want to take DoC as they suck, and Orcs actually really do suck in the game!

rtunian
29-11-2009, 18:45
there is no indication that there will be random match-ups or bracketing of any sort. true, its possible that only the first round is against your chosen opponent, but i doubt it, just given the rules as posted atm. if you had to provide picture id, were not allowed to play the same opponent twice, and had to play in the 1st round to be allowed in subsequent rounds, then i think it would be generally okay to allow participants to pick their opponents.

i agree that it's cool to have a weekend where you can come in any time and get your game in. but i think it should not be run as a tournament where the top performers get prizes. it should be more like the ork-toberfest thing, where you get points for coming into the shop and playing games, and at the end of the event, you can trade in your points for prizes/discounts/whatever.

i will give you, jind, that on average most folk are probably decent. the system isn't designed with "most folk" in mind, though. it's designed to reward only the people who have the highest scores, which means that only a few people will get the prizes. the scoring is on the honor system. so, really, only a few people have to be inclined to cheat in order to prevent any decent folk from winning anything, which is precisely what i lament in this thread

Staurikosaurus
30-11-2009, 05:16
I think they're trying to incorporate the concept of "grudging" an opponent that other tournaments do. Unfortunately they seem to have forgotten that for other tournaments, grudging is done well in advance of the tournament and before lists being played are known.

blackjack
30-11-2009, 05:27
I mainly object to the 2500pts, I just bought 2250 pts of WOC and I am NOT going to spend another DIME (We just went to 2250 for tournaments up from 2000 only a few months ago.)

rtunian
30-11-2009, 14:06
blackjack, i see no reason why you can't proxy 250 points. it says bring your favorite army. it doesn't say "all models must be gw & wysiwyg". you could conceivably use blank bases for this, so long as your "chosen opponent" doesn't disagree

you could also conceivably play 2250 games with your opponent and just each have 250 unspent points

Bac5665
30-11-2009, 14:54
My biggest problem is that they only are happening at official GW stores. Let IRs in on it so people in the midwest can play!