PDA

View Full Version : If GW had a chance to do it all over again...

jason_sation
28-11-2009, 18:59
do you think they would call "Space Marines" by something else? I think Space Marines is kind of a silly name. It reminds me of the currency used in Spaceballs (Spacebucks), or "Space Madness" from that one episode of Ren & Stimpy.

I guess what I'm saying is it sounds kind of kitschy in a 1930's "Flash Gordon" kind of way. I don't know what they would call them, as I think Codex:Angels of Death would be hard to sell, but I wonder if they would change the name if they could retcon something that big.

leonmallett
28-11-2009, 19:08
Yes it does sound kitschy, but then Space Marines were around with GW before there was a WH40K, which was a hodge podge of ideas at its inception. Without out that shaky 'everything-including-the kitchen-sink' approach, we wouldn't have the game and minis we have today.

Since it is impossible to remove the facts of that inception you are left with retcon only. And why on earth would GW alter their most successful IP (and in turn mini, range)?

Or to put it another way - what you are asking for is for GW to dump two words which have massive importance to their most prominent and successful IP.

Kind of a redundant question really.

If you asked: "Do you think Space Marines is a silly name?" then you have a more valid question, but it still wouldn't change the facts.

Urath
28-11-2009, 19:28
Personally, I like the title of 'Space Marines'; it makes them seem less like the 'gods of war' that they're often portrayed as and more like elite, super-soldiers that are used in shock assaults. But anyway, to be technical, their title in actuality is that of the 'Adeptus Astartes'.

So Games Workshop have already given us two titles, excluding 'Angels of Death'.

If GW did it ALL over again, I am sure they would save their dollars and not bother with s***ts, de, or necrons. These armies seem to be more trouble than anything for them and I suppose we would end up with the other Xenos armies more fleshed out and focussed on.

Erm... So, Games Workshop would have to alter the backstory of the Eldar; no remnants of the decadent Empire survive, thus the Dark Eldar are not formed. Much of the alien forces introduced that are attached to the Necrons would also be phased out; all we'd be left with would be the Craftworld Eldar and the Tau Empire.

'Other Xenos' would refer only to those two, in gameplay terms; assuming they didn't craft 'Codex: Umbra' (which would be cool).

Anyway, if Games Workshop did it all over again; assuming they didn't begin anew with the knowledge they have now, it would end up inthe exact same way it has done on this very day.

Crube
28-11-2009, 19:29
Codex Angels of Death was sold and did quite well back in the 90s I think it was...;)

Dark_Templar
28-11-2009, 20:12
Codex Angels of Death was sold and did quite well back in the 90s I think it was...;)

Yup, I remember reading a copy in 1998. I believe it was released in 1996 though.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
28-11-2009, 20:17
Erm... So, Games Workshop would have to alter the backstory of the Eldar; no remnants of the decadent Empire survive, thus the Dark Eldar are not formed. Much of the alien forces introduced that are attached to the Necrons would also be phased out; all we'd be left with would be the Craftworld Eldar and the Tau Empire.

'Other Xenos' would refer only to those two, in gameplay terms; assuming they didn't craft 'Codex: Umbra' (which would be cool).

Well, you'd still have Orks/Daemons/Tyranids. However I agree with the general sentiment of your post. It's easy to talk about taking out a race/model range, but in the end their backstories are so intertwined that removing a race you may feel unnecessary results in your favorite army losing much of their fluff flavor.

Dark_Templar
28-11-2009, 20:21
I never said anything about them being unnecessary, I will be getting DE when the new codex comes out and have just started a Necron army.

My point was that for GW, from a business point of view, would probably see certain races as more trouble than they were worth.

Sorry about any confusion.

DT.

Urath
28-11-2009, 20:25
Well, you'd still have Orks/Daemons/Tyranids. However I agree with the general sentiment of your post. It's easy to talk about taking out a race/model range, but in the end their backstories are so intertwined that removing a race you may feel unnecessary results in your favorite army losing much of their fluff flavor.

*Stares at desktop in amazement*

Somehow I forgot about the Orks and Tyranids. Sorry.

Wintermute
28-11-2009, 21:14
Yup, I remember reading a copy in 1998. I believe it was released in 1996 though.

You are correct it was 1996 (I've just checked the copyright date on my copy).

Orange1095
28-11-2009, 21:32
i like the name as i refer the word marine to soldier and so it works and sounds good, if a little cheesy to some.

Gray Hunter
30-11-2009, 22:57
Well, I think GW acknowledged that Space Marines might sound a bit silly to some, which is why they've been referring to them more and more as Astartes (especially in the HH series). It's more in keeping with the 40k background.

Originally the Space Marines were more like the Colonial Marines from Aliens than anything else (I'm aware that GW's Space Marines predate that movie, but James Cameron came up with the best visualisation of a common archetype, except for our beloved Astartes of course). The name Space Marines fit better with that look and feel. Nowadays the Space Marines are more like Knights Templar in space, so Astartes is a more fitting moniker.

At the end of the day though, a marine is a soldier that fights from a ship, so a Space Marine is simply a solder that fights from a space ship, which is the very definition of the Astartes modus operandi.

The Emperor
30-11-2009, 23:42
I would've liked the name Praetorian Guard, as it would've fit in nicely with the Imperial Guard. And if they had it all to do over again, one would hope that they'd have the good sense not to create divergent Space Marine lists, and keep one list for all the various Chapters.

rabblerouser
30-11-2009, 23:48
They are called adeptus astartes now. Space marines is a casual term

the-skylord
30-11-2009, 23:50
Anyway, if Games Workshop did it all over again; assuming they didn't begin anew with the knowledge they have now, it would end up inthe exact same way it has done on this very day.

Well, history does repeat itself, especially when we don't learn from it.

guillimansknight
30-11-2009, 23:56
I think space marines is becoming the more popular title thanks to COD 4 and everyone wanting to be a marine "ooh-rah". - bloody idiots

I think a new name would be good but GW would do it quick and cheesey

mdauben
01-12-2009, 01:11
do you think they would call "Space Marines" by something else?
Back in the day when RT first came out, "space marines" sounded pretty cool. I imagine that if they were starting from scratch today, they'd probably call them something like "Imperial Marines" or "The Emperor's Marines" or even just use their offical in-game name, "Adeptes Astares".

If GW did it ALL over again, I am sure they would save their dollars and not bother with s***ts, de, or necrons. These armies seem to be more trouble than anything for them and I suppose we would end up with the other Xenos armies more fleshed out and focussed on.
I don't see that they are more trouble than any other army, and each of them provides a different tactical approach to the game so IMO 40K would be poorer without them (actually is in the case of the s***ts). They just added so much stuff to the game over the years, and there is not currently a strong supporter of either army in the design team, that they can't seem to be assed to do a proper revision of them at this point. :rolleyes:

ehlijen
01-12-2009, 02:43
Yes, space marine is a silly name. So is Orks (instead of Orcs). Regardless of what the GW background writers want us to think, the 40k universe is inherently silly. Lasercannons exists at the same time as nut and bolt battle tanks? Anti gravity bikes are no faster than some spinny blade bits stuck to the top of a scratchbuilt rocket? And entire army of space robots shouting "we'll be back"?

It is a game of toy soldiers. Pretending its not silly isn't really healthy. So I'm just fine with space marines. Because that's exactly what they are. Marines (as in soldiers who believe in their own hype as the term has come to mean in recent (ie computer game) times as opposed to the military definition of soldiers fighting from ships) from space.

You have to admit that Space super soldiers, would have been even worse, right?

GrimZAG
01-12-2009, 12:58
I think Space Marines is kind of a silly name.

You sir are 100% correct!

They should be named 'Graxxors, Defenders of the Imperium!'

brightblade
01-12-2009, 13:58
Don't GW do it all over again on a regular basis anyway?:p

(Thank the Lord):D

(Whoever he/she is?);)

fluffstalker
01-12-2009, 15:55
Since 90/% of their military actions consist of ship to ground rapid insertion via thunderhawk, teleportation or drop pod, the name actually isn't that silly. Its definitely not as evocative as Angels of Death though.