PDA

View Full Version : Sweet deal i found, and just got!!!

IllidanStormrage
28-11-2009, 20:18
http://www.amazon.com/Rings-Fellowship-Battle-Games-Middle-Earth/dp/B00005JCPA/ref=pd_sbs_t_2

That is soo awesome!!!

I get more elves... though im not sure what ill do with the goblins, maybe start misty mountains?

erion
29-11-2009, 12:46
FLGS had an intact Two Towers starter game that I snagged a couple of weeks ago. $75+ worth of models for $40.

Shrapnelsmile
29-11-2009, 15:51
Is that the full rules that comes in that, or are the rules for the SBG only found in the Mines of Moria box (as well as the expensive seperate rule book)?

Hero adamite
29-11-2009, 15:52
Those starter sets are great. I bought the Two Towers and Return of the King ones. Wondered about getting the Followship of the Ring eventaully.

HsojVvad
29-11-2009, 23:52
What is the book that comes with the minis? I don't reconise it. I guess you could play with these rules at home, but if you plan to go to a store for pick up games, I don't think you will be able to use these rules then. Still a great deal for the minis.

lorelorn
30-11-2009, 05:43
When the films were coming out, the games for each had different rules, eventually becoming the SBG rules we have now, but there are differences.

IIRC there was one ruleset for each film (gradually scaling up games and increasing the different forces available) culminating in the 'big blue book' release about 8 months after Return of the King came out, which was followed later by Mines of Moria and Legions of Middle Earth to make the SBG we have today. Something like that, anyway. I'm sure someone will chime in if I have the timings wrong there.

The box linked to was the complete game as released when the Fellowship movie came out. It is not quite the same as the game we have today.

HsojVvad
30-11-2009, 16:06
That's what I mean lorelorn. The rules that are in the link are incompatible with what we use now, SBG. Basically they are worthless for gaming against strangers, or pick up games.

I just wanted to make shure the OP knew that the deal is only good for the minis since the rules are worthless now outside his house.

IllidanStormrage
05-12-2009, 23:17
I know those are old rules... i bought it for the figures. It comes with an elves of a last alliance boxed set moria goblins and a fellowship of the ring book, also a ruined building.

HsojVvad
07-12-2009, 02:30
I know those are old rules... i bought it for the figures. It comes with an elves of a last alliance boxed set moria goblins and a fellowship of the ring book, also a ruined building.

Great, then it's well worth it. I would have bought it as well for the minis too. :)

Midloo
16-12-2009, 22:18
That's what I mean lorelorn. The rules that are in the link are incompatible with what we use now, SBG. Basically they are worthless for gaming against strangers, or pick up games.

I just wanted to make shure the OP knew that the deal is only good for the minis since the rules are worthless now outside his house.

That's not entirely true - some of my favorite scenarios are in those old movie books. They can still be played and I still enjoy them :) Pretty pictures that inspire some ideas as well!

Luthor
21-12-2009, 16:00

Hardly, the starter sets were originally the only way to get the rulebooks. Each film starter set contained essentially the same rules with some touch-ups here or there, and the addition of the characters from that film. They just kind of built upon each other. The big book was just a compendium of all prior profiles from the supplements and film rulebooks, the rules were essentially still the same. The SBG as it was in the FOTR starter set is pretty much exactly the same as in the rules now.

I got into GW stuff with the LOTR minis.

Midloo
21-12-2009, 16:56
SBG as it was in the FOTR starter set is pretty much exactly the same as in the rules now.

I got into GW stuff with the LOTR minis.

Well - there were some things that were changed and streamlined by the time Return of the King came out. Not much changed between RofK and the hardback "One Rulebook", but there were some significant changes between FotR and where SBG is now.

Still - you'll be able to have tons of fun with the rules as written in the old FotR book.