PDA

View Full Version : New LOTR stuff + Spider Queen Sneak Peak

Jon_Irenicus
27-01-2006, 11:01
++LORD OF THE RINGS++

GAW 05-77-N Lord of the Rings Wild Warg Chieftain $10.00
GAW 09-11 Lord of the Rings Spider Queen and Swarms $30.00
GAW 09-46 Lord of the Rings Wood Elf Sentinels $10.00

Spider swarms plus the queen at 30 dollars? Sure, right away...
The wood elf sentinels are probably going to be great. At least I hope so. ;)

Thatīs all folks!

takenoko
27-01-2006, 11:14
What the bloody hell is a 'Spider Queen'? :confused: Never have I heard any mention of such a thing in Tolkien's works, though the idea of Shelob might suggest some sort of matriarchical structure in the worlt of the eight legged ones...

Makaber
27-01-2006, 11:27
I would assume it's just to have a minor hero to the giant spiders, really.

Rabid Bunny 666
27-01-2006, 12:56
Warg Chieftan? ability to mail order?

i feel a plan coming along :evilgrin:

Avian
27-01-2006, 14:16
http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/thelordoftherings/image2.jpg

Pertinax
27-01-2006, 15:07
And tose look like spider swarms to me...

The Judge
27-01-2006, 15:20
Pretty funky - better than the run over ones. Love the swarms, but I wonder how much of the painting is gonna be guesswork - is that a rock or a spider?

Jon_Irenicus
27-01-2006, 20:32
The queen looks mighty cool herself, at a first glance. And the swarms, too. I was expecting them to be the run-over spiders (stupid me... :p )
But what about those Elves? or the Castellans for that matter, I want some heavy armour looking meanies! (Iīm using LOTR figures for a D&D campaign in a setting pretty much like Tolkienīs LOTR).

The Judge
27-01-2006, 21:13
But what about those Elves? or the Castellans for that matter, I want some heavy armour looking meanies! (Iīm using LOTR figures for a D&D campaign in a setting pretty much like Tolkienīs LOTR).

I'm in the same situation, and I NEED some armoured nasties...but not any squashed spiders...

Neknoh
27-01-2006, 21:22
There is but one creature of whom I know as the Spider Queen... and I seriusly doubt GW would ever get the rights to her (as she is explicitly mentioned in the Silmarillion), Ungoliant

Brandir
28-01-2006, 08:46
I like the idea of a spider queen mini and the swarms look good.

Much much much better than those squashed things that GW are trying to pass off as spiders.

The Judge
28-01-2006, 18:07
I's imagine Ungoliant to be a tad larger...but she is mentioned a lot in the Two Towers, would she not be able to get in?

Jon_Irenicus
28-01-2006, 18:39
Nah, I doubt thatīd be Ungoliant. Trying to pass her off just as spider queen... She was driven by Melkior and the balrogs out into the east (I think), and besides, she was supposed to be of gigantic proportions.
Now I just want to get my hands on the new Arwen (at least new to me), on foot. (Off-topic - donīt know if thisī been discussed here, but arenīt the horses in LOTR kinda small?)

Rabid Bunny 666
28-01-2006, 20:12
gah, that queens horrible, the back bit looks cack, better pose, but not like i imagined it to look

Jon_Irenicus
29-01-2006, 01:20
Still, better at least than the squashed spider, no?
At times like this I really miss the Warhammer quest box. Never really got over my brother breaking the barbarian.
Oh, the spiders were nice, too.

Imp of High Noon
29-01-2006, 03:24
Ungoliant went made and ate herself, if I recall that bit corectly:eyebrows:

hilltroll
29-01-2006, 04:37
I do like that spider queen and the swarms. Very nice, much better than the others, and much closer to old Shelob.

But, do spiders really lay eggs like that? I thought they were deposited into balls of cotton-like web, then abandoned, not kept beneath the skin.

Adept
29-01-2006, 05:07
But, do spiders really lay eggs like that? I thought they were deposited into balls of cotton-like web, then abandoned, not kept beneath the skin.

Some spiders keep their young on their back. I don't think any of them actually hatch their eggs through the skin, although I think I remember seeing a species of toad do something similar, keeping the eggs under some kind of carapace on her back, and when they hatch they burst through it. Or something.

Brandir
29-01-2006, 07:53
Ungoliant went made and ate herself, if I recall that bit corectly:eyebrows:

Yes, she possibly did:

she went down into Beleriand, and dwelt beneath Ered Gorgoroth, in that dark valley that was after called Nan Dungortheb, the Valley of Dreadful Death, because of the horror that she bred there. For other foul creatures of spider form had dwelt there since the days of the delving of Angband, and she mated with them, and devoured them; and even after Ungoliant herself departed, and went whither she would into the forgotten south of the world, her offspring abode there and wove their hideous webs. Of the fate of Ungoliant no tale tells. Yet some have said that she ended long ago, when in her uttermost famine she devoured herself at last.
Quote taken from The Silmarillion Chapter 9 Of the Flight of the Noldor

Jon_Irenicus
29-01-2006, 14:50
Gah! How couldnīt I remember that (maybe cause my Silmarillion went missing 2 years ago)...
Anyway, it might be possible for spiders to do that, no? Especially in dangerous environments, or maybe itīs a nomad spider (I didnīt even knew those things on the back were eggs. Then again, Iīm used to 40k, and everything tends to look like bullet holes after a while :) ).

But matter-of-factly I like (some) of the characters that were introduced with the movies, for example Lurtz. Harmless additions that add a bit of flavour. Makes the universe more populate, especially since it was told from a good point of view, and hardly describes any "evil heroes".