PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think is the best Space Marine HQ?

HarbingerGunship
29-11-2009, 04:39
Just for the record, I searched this first.

Anyways, when I joined the 40K hobby/game, I went with the Crimson Fists, and from there, directly with Pedro Kantor without ever checking the rest of the choices. And now, 6ish months later, I finally take a look at them all, and find that all are very nice options, both in fluff and strength.

So I was wondering what your favorite Space Marine HQ and how you use them?

edit: also, I'm not sure if all these guys are in production. or if a modle even exists. (Macragge?)

And one more thing:
Do you guys think there should by an emperor modle? some epic dude

Arakanis
29-11-2009, 04:41
Terminator Armoured Interrogator-Chaplain is quite possibly the best choice you can get for your points. He has never failed me. Right after the Jump Chaplain, that guy causes some damage too.

Lionsbane
29-11-2009, 04:42
Njal Stormcaller.

Stops other psykers on a 3+. Has a non counterable effect that gets better as the game progresses. That and a LDR 10 Psyker that casts 2 powers a turn.

He Who Thirsts
29-11-2009, 04:50
Njal Stormcaller.

Stops other psykers on a 3+. Has a non counterable effect that gets better as the game progresses. That and a LDR 10 Psyker that casts 2 powers a turn.

Space marines, not wolves, but I see your point.

Personally I like Shrike, can deepstrike from terrain and assault the turn he does if I am not mistaken. Don't even bring up his planetstrike capabilities, if armed with meltabombs and able to deepstrike from terrain can ruin more than one bastion.

Freman Bloodglaive
29-11-2009, 06:48
He can't deep-strike and assault, he doesn't have heroic intervention, but conferring "fleet" on your entire army is a good thing.

Deadmanwade
29-11-2009, 06:54
Shrike's fleet is only good if you intend to get lots of assaults in. Against some opponents you'd be better off shooting them.
Personally I voted for Pedro, +1 attack within 12 inches, scoring sternguard and stubborn are all nice abilities. Vulkan has a more powerful ability, but most opponents dont like it much.

downundercadet07
29-11-2009, 07:13
I love Khan- he opens up a biker army, which is one of the more competitive builds. Plus, giving hit and run and furious charge to a group of T5, biker vets with Feel No Pain? Awesome. Everytime I run him into multiwound models that sword of his wreaks face too- decapitation after decapitation.

the1stpip
29-11-2009, 09:28
Vulkan has a more powerful ability, but most opponents dont like it much.

And if that isn't indicative of being powerful, I don't know what is!

And Khan doesn't 'open up#' a Biker list, any Captain on bike does that. He has a very different tactic, which can be utilised with biker armies.

Vaktathi
29-11-2009, 09:31
Vulkan.

Stupidly cheap for what he brings to an army, makes all the most important weapons and some of the best units in the army better, and would be worth his points for his combat ability alone without the rest of his stuff. An equivalent captain with a relic blade, stormshield, and illegal combi-flamer would be only 10pts less with no-reroll to hit, a worse flamer, and no amazing army-wide weapons boosting rule.

Thud
29-11-2009, 15:31
Vulkan.

Stupidly cheap for what he brings to an army, makes all the most important weapons and some of the best units in the army better, and would be worth his points for his combat ability alone without the rest of his stuff. An equivalent captain with a relic blade, stormshield, and illegal combi-flamer would be only 10pts less with no-reroll to hit, a worse flamer, and no amazing army-wide weapons boosting rule.

Pretty much covers it. There are several other Marine HQs that are pretty good, but Vulkan is fantastic.

Draxonicar
29-11-2009, 15:38
What about the emperors champion?

Hero adamite
29-11-2009, 15:47
Space marines, not wolves, but I see your point.

Personally I like Shrike, can deepstrike from terrain and assault the turn he does if I am not mistaken. Don't even bring up his planetstrike capabilities, if armed with meltabombs and able to deepstrike from terrain can ruin more than one bastion.

Space Wolves are Space Marines...

I would have to go with Marneus Calgar (Lord Macragge) he has never let me down yet and he is amaizing with his 5 attacks of str 8 and rerolling all wounds. Also his orbital bombardment is amaizing as i took out 2 Land Raiders with it not to long ago.

Hadafix
29-11-2009, 16:23
Is this Codex SM only?

He Who Thirsts
29-11-2009, 19:43
Is this Codex SM only?

Yeah, otherwise Njal and the wolves would have been on the list. As well as the other HQs from the other chapter legions who are special, like Blood Angels and Black Templars.

Askari
29-11-2009, 19:47
Standard Librarian.

Those powers just rule.

FunkyRatDemon
29-11-2009, 19:54
There a reason most Tournament lists run Vulcan...and he's only 5pts more then a commander w/ the same gear too (equivilaized)

Deetwo
29-11-2009, 20:54
Vulkan for overall power, though I'm personally a fan of MotF :)

Monster Rain
29-11-2009, 21:04
I had to go with Vulkan... I fought adding him to my army for a long time, but twin-linked Meltas and Master-Crafted Thunderhammers is just too good. So Vulkan is my favorite for Tournaments, Shrike and a Terminator Armor/Storm Shield Librarian for fun games.

grg3d
29-11-2009, 22:00
Lysander of the Imperial Fist for no other reason than I like the model and fluff

Lothlanathorian
29-11-2009, 23:43
I like the Chapter Master. I kit him with a Relic Blade, Combi-Melta with Inferno Bolts and an Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, stick him in a squad and send them out to kill something important. I don't like using the SCs, personally, so I am biased here, but, if I did use any, I would use Kantor. I love Sternguard and have no desire to use He'stan.

Onisuzume
29-11-2009, 23:52
I'd say the Interrogator-Chaplain or the Company Master.

downundercadet07
30-11-2009, 00:03
And if that isn't indicative of being powerful, I don't know what is!

And Khan doesn't 'open up#' a Biker list, any Captain on bike does that. He has a very different tactic, which can be utilised with biker armies.

Riiiiiiiight, so as a biker captain, I guess he doesn't open up bikers as troops? My bad.

And his outflank can be utilized regardless of whether or not he takes a bike army or not- so his 'different tactic' is in fact closed to bike armies unless you upgrade him.

blackroyal
30-11-2009, 00:19
Vulkan.

I hate Vulkan because he limits the units that players using him bring. TH Termies, MM/Flamer/Rhino Tacticals, and some MM/HF Landspeeders and that's pretty much it. Maybe a redeemer or 2...

Boring to play against.

Vaktathi
30-11-2009, 00:21
I hate Vulkan because he limits the units that players using him bring. TH Termies, MM/Flamer/Rhino Tacticals, and some MM/HF Landspeeders and that's pretty much it. Maybe a redeemer or 2...

Boring to play against.

That's only by player choice however. You could take him with almost any list just to make what's already there better, and he'd still be worth it.

That said, most of the non-vulkan lists I see still have MM/HF speeders, TH/SS termis (3++ makes taking anything else pointless) and usually meltas or flamers as the specials in tac's (almost never plasma).

GrimZAG
30-11-2009, 02:47
Chaplain Cassius,

Toughness 6 anyone? and free rage points towards tyranids

(not that there's anything wrong with tyranids, I'm just getting into the fluff and that they should be destroyed off the face of the galaxy)

meanmachine
30-11-2009, 11:33
[QUOTE=blackroyal;4172799]I hate Vulkan because he limits the units that players using him bring. TH Termies, MM/Flamer/Rhino Tacticals, and some MM/HF Landspeeders and that's pretty much it. Maybe a redeemer or 2...
QUOTE]

thats strange my tactic for him is to use at least 2 ironclad dreadnoughts with meltagun and flamer droppoding in but you never mentioned dreadnoughts at all

he can also make your bike squads much more effective since you get 2 special weapons and 1 multi melta

so do my 2 other examples show you he doesn't limit your army

he just makes the best AT weapon and best anti horde weapon even better

Petay1985
30-11-2009, 11:44
Vulkan.

'Vaktathi' has already comprehensively articulated my thoughts on the matter, i thank you sir for your eloquent words!! :)

Giganthrax
30-11-2009, 14:01
I'd say the best vanilla HQs, in no particular order, are;

Pedro
Vulkan
Lysander
Bike Captain
Khan
Shrike
Librarian

They all have their places in the army, and can all be used in highly competitive lists. Librarian is there because he's an essential support character; null zone and psychic hood are pretty much mandatory, I feel.

TheShadowCow
30-11-2009, 14:03
Calgar, because of the following fluff:

"And lo, Young Calgar did stride unto battle without fear, and he did subdue his fellow Astartes heroes. Hefting their combined mass, Lord Macragge did smite down the tainted 'Who do you think is the best Space Marine HQ?' poll. Mighty Calgar then proceeded to single-handedly defend the fallen thread for eighty seven more posts before the relief forces arrived."

As true today as when it was written.

SPYDER68
30-11-2009, 14:24
Its hard to choose anything besides vulkan.. between his cost and what he adds to the army is just to nice.

primarch16
30-11-2009, 17:14
Vulkan is by far the best. But Kantor and Shrike are cooler I think :D

Brother Gathurn
30-11-2009, 18:00
I htink all special charecters are overused and anyway most of htem especially Calgar are to expensive for anything practical. Space marines already have a low model count, why make it worse? My favorite HQ's are jp chappy and a libby, no upgrades and the flamer power with something else. Although for pure fun a captain with relic blade, atrificer, a command squad and a chappy cant be b eat, but wow it's alot of points especially since in the days of 5th transports are mandatory.

I feel like i should add that the special chareter that i like is Telion, choosing who gets sniped by a BS:6 heavy 2 sniper, yes please