PDA

View Full Version : IG using drop-pods?

meno1
29-11-2009, 05:18
Just wondering, why is it that the IG can't use drop-pods, or any other race than SM for that matter?

I can't really think of any reasons myself, I mean for IG, if the ODSTs in the Halo universe (which is like a millenium or so away from now) can use drop-pods, why can't stormtroopers in the 41st millenium? What about DK, WH, and CSM, who all have power armour yet aren't able to use drop-pods, it's not like the holy adeptus astartes' armour can survive the landing yet their power-armoured neighbours can't. And Tyranid bio-spores, how come they only stay in fluff and DoW videos? I'm sure each army could have it's own version of a drop-pod, but the fact remains that only SMs do, so why?

Shield of Freedom
29-11-2009, 05:24
As far as I know about the fluff, only Space Marines with their genetically altered bodies can withstand the reentry and impact of the drop pods, hence why both Chaos Marines and Loyalists Marines use them and no one else. Although a mysetic spore carrying tyranid forces could also be seen as a "drop-pod" but again we're talking about genetically tailored killing machines.

Daemon hunters don't use drop pods because they don't have to. Being the Grey Knights has it's perks like having more access to the rare teleportation technology than other chapters. Hence why all GK units that "deepstrike" do so by teleportation.

If you're talking about 40k specificaly and not just the fluff, then I imagine it's for balance reasons. In Apocalypse Chaos and Tyranids DO deepstrike with "pods." Remember, the main 40k game although full of stories and backround, is still a game striving for balance to give both players a fair chance at winning.

Arakanis
29-11-2009, 05:39
Thematics. Periods. GW doesn't want to talk away from the heroics of the Space Marines descending from the heavens in their pods. Also, because of Starship Troopers.

Remoah
29-11-2009, 05:48
Because a drop pod goes from over 20,000 fps in speed during entry, to a halt in about 2-3 seconds. Thats why the SM are so awe-inspiring with them, they literally 'appear' out of nowhere.
But regardless, no normal human could survive that, Marines can, but Guardsmen would probably be crushed by the G-Forces.

But aside, it's a Marine thing, game-wise it's unbalanced if everyone could drop-pod in.

pies
29-11-2009, 05:53
Marines of all flavors use drop pods. Chaos ones are just spikey. http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/dreadclaw.htm

The guard doesn't use them because it's inefficient for landing that many troops. Not to mention body shattering impact...

That's why the guard uses Tetraches (however it's spelled)
And mass grav drops.

srgt. gak
29-11-2009, 05:55
and even if they could survive.....a one use missile, delivering 10 nonstelar men into the mist of an opposing force, just doesnt seem like a good idea

Remoah
29-11-2009, 06:12
I'd assume it'd be worth about 2 leman-russ tanks worth of metal and would be alot more complicated and expensive to produce so you know what the Imperial Guard would rather have.

meno1
29-11-2009, 06:13
Thanks for that, yea I can see where you're coming from, especially game-wise with balance and all. Do CSM have drop-pods? I wasn't aware they did.

Arakanis
29-11-2009, 06:37
Technically, CSM have everything that Loyalists have, because Astartes that turn traitor don't automatically forget how to use/maintain their gear.

Formerly Wu
29-11-2009, 06:41
Most Traitor Legionnaires use the Dreadclaw, a Heresy-era drop pod prototype. It was more of an assault boat, as it was capable of ship-to-ship boarding actions and was not one-use, but the Forge World books describe it as being fiddly at best and extremely easy to corrupt.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dreadclaw

As for more recent renegade SM, they probably still use their old drop pods.

meno1
29-11-2009, 09:21
I'm aware of Chaos Dreadclaws and drop-pods fluff-wise, but I meant do they have drop-pods in 40K?

Marshal Sinclair
29-11-2009, 09:33
Chaos may use the FW Dreadclaw model and rules.

Rusty Initate
29-11-2009, 09:37
I'm aware of Chaos Dreadclaws and drop-pods fluff-wise, but I meant do they have drop-pods in 40K?

in normal games i don't think there are its to keep the armys different and if codex chaos marines was space marines + extras what would be the point of using codex space marines?

also imagine someone drop poding khorn bezerkers on top of you (i know they can't charge turn they come out) or drop poding some plague marines on top of an objective in your side of the field and in cover

TGaunt
29-11-2009, 10:16
there are three reasons why CSM dont use their dreadclaws in normal 40k:

A) it is superior to the normal (older in terms of development cycle) SM droppods. the reason why only CSM can use them is because of the advanced machine spirit which is nearly as smart as a human beeing but has no hindrances like morale to stop it from going to chaos. ergo non chaos blessed individuals would get eaten (litteraly spoken!).
this means they would make the vanilla ones look bad and noone wants the super-duper-guypers look bad, ehh?

B) the CSM dex was written at a time where GW did simply not include FW-only stuff into their books. maybe we see them in the next csm dex.

C) they are designed to letz you assoult out of it dirrectly so they would be allmost broken in normal 40k. imagine 10 khorn berzerkers podding in and assoulting the same turn... ugh!

SabrX
29-11-2009, 10:23
In Warrior Brood by C.S. Goto, a female Inquisitor used a custom harness to drop pod with a squad of Deathwatch Space Marines.

If you have an IC Inquisitor, you could ally and it to C:SM troops who are in a drop pod.

Morlu
29-11-2009, 10:38
Daemon hunters don't use drop pods because they don't have to. Being the Grey Knights has it's perks like having more access to the rare teleportation technology than other chapters. Hence why all GK units that "deepstrike" do so by teleportation.

This is how it works game wise but actually grey knights use lots of drop pods in the fluff, they infact have the drop pod bays of their strike cruisers enlarged so the entire compliment of grey knights can drop in a single wave rather than 2 or 3 waves like regular space marines. If and when daemon hunters get redone I am positive they will be able to take drop pods.

ElGenerals
29-11-2009, 11:22
Space marine drop pods hit the ground at the speed of a bullet (and probably faster). It makes all other drop pods from other science fiction look like tortoises. It's also a foolproof way of making sure only space marines can function in them (with some exceptions).

I've been wondering, shouldn't a drop pod landing be sufficient in disposing an army of orks at least 50 yards away from impact. Kinda wish I saw damage occurring from a drop pod arrival game wise.

Kriegfreak
29-11-2009, 11:34
In the old guard codex you could have an entire deep striked guard force that basically 'used' drop pods, or something similar. Though they couldn't actually use the model. I think a bunch of tunnel drilling devices (like in the Sige of Vraks books) and counting them as drop pods on the table - would be pretty neat for a house rule or 'fun' game. Assuming you gave up something on your list to make up for using such a device.

Fluff wise the Imperial guard is SO MASSIVE its silly to think that some regiments wouldn't make use of drop pods in a fashion. Hell they use just about everything else. As someone pointed out though, I'm sure GWs stand point was: A - IG are already good. B - its 'Space Marine' and C-'its to close to Star Ship Troopers, as if Cadians weren't bad enough.

meno1
29-11-2009, 11:54
Well in the Black Library books it talks about troop-ships, basically large drop-pods which deploy several squads of infantry or armour right into the front lines. However these travel considerably slower and are a big target for anti-aircraft and even anti-vehicle heavy weapons, and so would not be used to deploy inside the enemy zone.

RCgothic
29-11-2009, 13:50
Whilst drop ships also make rapid combat drops, they are very much larger than drop pods, don't go nearly as fast, and can get back into orbit on their own power. They're a bit of a floating target in comparison, but they do deploy entire regiments of IG very much more efficiently.

Drop pods go from about 1000m/s to stationary in the space of less than a second. (100+Gs.) A regular human can survive up to about 50Gs momentarily, (max of 17Gs sustained) properly restrained and oriented, but will be disorientated and most likely severely injured. The fact space marines can withstand more than twice that, and immediately blast their way out of the drop pod into a combat situation is nothing short of Crowning Moment of Awesome.

Unaugmented humans wouldn't stand a chance.

Bunnahabhain
29-11-2009, 14:46
Although the braking is very rapid, it still doesn't have the drop pods moving fast enough to be invulnerable to AA fire. A few thousand meters a second may sound fast, but compared to a laser?

As to what Gs people can take, it's all about the pressure suits used, and the orientation of your body to the force. The fact marines seem to be able to take 100G upright just makes them that bit more OTT.

Guard have always been able to deep strike, this is always as ascribed to Grav-chute from an aircraft of some kind, fast roping out of a hovering aircraft, like a valkyrie, or tunnelling machines.

As to humans in drop pods, well, the fact Goto says it can be done makes me more certain that you can't....

MistaGav
29-11-2009, 14:55
As everyone else has said the guard just wouldn't survive. I think the ODST are usually drop podding from a relatively low orbit therefore wouldn't pick up as much speed so less forces but don't quote me on that, I'm not a physicist ;)

It's also a matter of Logic really. Would a commisar send 10 guardsmen into the middle of nowhere (to him the pod is worth more then the guard) where he can just use Valkryie or other bigger transports to get more men on the ground at once. Also Drop Pods are purely for rapid drop and shock which the space marines excel at NOT the guard.

MegaPope
30-11-2009, 02:36
Each launch tube you're using for a drop pod is one that isn't being used for an equally sized plasma bomb.

That's why the Guard don't use drop pods ;)