PDA

View Full Version : I charged and felt the wrath of Double 6's

nightsrage
29-11-2009, 05:31
6 Chaos Knights of Khorne charge 6 wraiths and a banshee. Banshee rolls Double 6's (12+2) with his howl as a stand and shoot reaction. I then removed 6 Knights in shock.

Should I feel angry about the fact that a 75-80 point model can kill my 270 point unit? I mean its nuts I get no Toughness test, No armor save....

Or

Should I just say oh well.... the dice Gods must hate me today?

I was angry due to that literally being a TOTAL game changing dice roll. I had to dedicate my 2nd Unit of Knights to killing the wraiths that then just ran in the woods and hid for point denial... Therefore my battle line was missing my Knights which THEN resulted in a my losing the game by a Solid Victory.

Am I a cry baby or is this off?

Laurela
29-11-2009, 05:49
how could the wraiths have ran? wouldn't they have had to stick in combat? Also the dice gods just hated you today 8(.

Tenken
29-11-2009, 05:51
I've had worse things happen, don't sweat it. When your killy combat hero gets killed by a beast herd unit champ come talk to me. Honestly the random rolls are just part of the game, if everything was guaranteed and average it'd be no fun at all.

CaliforniaGamer
29-11-2009, 05:51
1 in 36 chance. Where were your casters dropping flickering fire on the wraiths? A solid dice roll there and your opponent would have been picking up their whole undead unit.

enyoss
29-11-2009, 05:55
Should I just say oh well.... the dice Gods must hate me today?

I'm afraid so, but I understand your frustration. My pet hate is the double 1 `insane bravery' rule. That added randomness has ruined an almost perfect battle plan many a time.

Definitely a cry baby, but we all go that way sometimes when this kind of thing happens :D.

;)

nightsrage
29-11-2009, 06:05
1 in 36 chance. Where were your casters dropping flickering fire on the wraiths? A solid dice roll there and your opponent would have been picking up their whole undead unit.

I try and make a mono Khorne army work. All I have to kill the wraiths are Valkia and 2 Units of Khorne Knights.

Played 3 times with this army, 1 M, 1 SV, 1 Solid Loss!

Jind_Singh
29-11-2009, 08:04
its the way the cookie crumbles - my Arch Lector saw FIVE of his Knights die from a charge from Cold One Knights, and he rolled the all critical double-one, which allowed him to hold and let a second unit flank charge and wipe the buggers out!
It changed the whole game, I still lost to a solid victory but it allowed me to put immense pressure on the Dark Elf in ways I thought not possible!
Ah the fickle die rolls - I've seen horrible things happen to me too, theres nothing we can do. But isn't this great?
The worlds greatest generals all pretty much said the same thing - a battle plan is only good until the battle starts, then it's pretty much thrown out the window!

-Grimgorironhide-
29-11-2009, 08:26
Bad luck happens. I'm sure all of us have felt its bitter sting.
I myself felt it today with my cult of slaanesh list.
My 450pt druchii anointed rolled two dice to cast a spell on my first turn of the game and miscast. I told myself it happens and casually rolled on the table. Then my face completly dropped, snake eyes again!. Bye Bye Anointed! Well needless to say the battle went all down hill from there.

cheers.

The Red Scourge
29-11-2009, 08:33

Definitely a cry baby :p

Its what you get for playing a game of dice. This is the fun stuff that sets it apart from 'proper' strategy games :) And don't you think that paying 75 points for a single S3 attack is just a wee bit overpriced, especially considering that an average roll would have resulted in 1 dead knight, and anything less would have had no effect - and you'd have butchered those wraiths :)

Zarroc
29-11-2009, 08:41
Its a game, no need to cry over it, didnt go your way, next time it might

hill9969
29-11-2009, 09:49
Don't cry over the dice not going your way, but instead figure out how to deal with that situation in the future. Maybe you ignore the unit and keep you battle line intact, or maybe you create a situation where they don't get a stand and shoot reaction. You might also throw a cheap unit at them that will tie them up most of the game. The point is you have options. There are very few times in a warhammer game that you have no options to deal with a given situation. Don't cry about dice but become a better general as a result of the loss.

Once playing against WOC I had a infernal gateway cast against with double 6's so i couldn't dispel it. Then they rolled a high enough str so that the unit was destroyed. I lost 700+ points due to one spell. Now I know that is a chance in a game, know exactly how the spell works, and have ideas in mind on how to deal with it in the future before the spell is cast so that doesn't happen again.

Baggers
29-11-2009, 10:01
Its the luck of the dice. I've played with a deamon army, using the Storm of Chaos list with Bel'akor and on the 2nd turn miscast and lost him to the netherworld. At 600 points, he's more than 25% army and he is gone with 2 dice rolls.

Arbiter7
29-11-2009, 10:10
Well, think of it this way: Should the banshees have rolled snake eyes and killed nothing, should he feel angry for paying 80 pts for a model that did absolutely nothing?

Screaming Manti
29-11-2009, 12:27
Normally i get alot of bad luck but on occasion ive had units punch above there weight.

e.g. i was having my ogres being slaughted by dark elves and it was the last turn of the game. i only had a unit of gnoblars left and that got charged by his assassin,he wiped out the entire front rank except for the champion groinbiter, the champion then swiftly but suprisingly cut down said assassin with his 2 attacks even tho he needed 5's twice and my oppenant looked dumbfounded that this gnoblar champion killed his assassin. i finished the game with a moral victory after the heroics of that little groinbiter :D

O&G'sRule
29-11-2009, 14:55
It happens, another time they will just wipe them out. Sounds like you've too many points invested in knights and no flexibility for when things like that happen, and in a game based on dice rolls, they will happen

Leogun_91
29-11-2009, 19:00
The Banshee was used against one of the things itīs best against (high cost, high AS, average Ld enemy) and it rolled high. This was very much but this kind of things happends, yesterday a vampire used hand of dust and killed 10 orcs, destroying my ranks and making me lose the battle. And not to mention the times my hammerers have fled from close combat.

rtunian
29-11-2009, 19:01
sometimes you get the bear,
sometimes the bear gets you.

see also:
"the best laid plans"

as others have said, in a game of dice, you will not always win. there are very few certain outcomes in warhammer, which is one of the reasons why it's such a good game, despite it's flaws. when the dice go your way, enjoy it! when the dice go the other way, get over it!

Iseult
29-11-2009, 19:38
It sucks when it happens to you but you have to laugh because there will always be times when it goes the other way.

I played a game last week that saw my opponents greatswords + BSB + general flee to panic from a stone thrower hit, only for their detachment of 10 free company to receive a charge from, and rout my own killy unit of black orcs + big boss. Both very unlikely events but very amusing for all that.

ogretyrant
29-11-2009, 20:33
Definitely a cry baby :p

Its what you get for playing a game of dice. This is the fun stuff that sets it apart from 'proper' strategy games :) And don't you think that paying 75 points for a single S3 attack is just a wee bit overpriced, especially considering that an average roll would have resulted in 1 dead knight, and anything less would have had no effect - and you'd have butchered those wraiths :)

You hit the jackpot there, I totally agree with you dude!

Da GoBBo
29-11-2009, 21:35
So your 270 point unit DIDN'T kill 380 points of undead elite? What has the world come to.

Therefore my battle line was missing my Knights which THEN resulted in a my losing the game by a Solid Victory

Meaning you should not have made an armylist relying solely on your knights. Or maybe you should not have sent that second unit there but should have dealt with the wraiths later. Maybe you should have attended them with some throw away unit. Read the table, and act accordingly. You need your knights in the thick of things, so now you'v learned they should not veer off :)

StormCrow
29-11-2009, 21:41
I've done the same thing with a casket of souls against a tree man, and while you might be pissed off you should know that there is no sweeter victory for undead players then rolling a 6-6 with a light of death/banshee scream. Does that make you feel better :p

Zarroc
29-11-2009, 22:02
Reminds me of a game, where i shot hail of doom arrow and got 3 x 6 with it, 18 strenght 4 shots, lol, totally wiped out a unit of knights ^^

soots
29-11-2009, 22:25
Part of the skill in warhammer is to minimize liabilities - Making your army able to cope with unexpected events. You should be able to soldier on losing 1-2 units to bad luck (albeit disadvantaged), but sometimes its just isnt your day.

I for one, would rather roll a LD8 test than a LD10 test because my LD10 test rolls always end up with an 11 (my luck made up for it in bloodbowl when i could kill 2-3 guys a game)

The Red Scourge
29-11-2009, 22:46
I remember two units of marauder horsemen with flails charging two units of five huntsmen on each flank, both fluffed their dice, broke and ran, leaving me royally screwed against the cannons pointing towards my knights in the center - and to really rub it in, one unit of huntsmen then proceded and ended up taking one of my table edges :p

The same game a unit of marauder horsemen downed a war alter with their throwing axes, and then broke and ran the arch lector down - boy that was a fine bloodbath :D

outbreak
29-11-2009, 23:00
all luck,
worst i saw recently was vs my friend in a tournament. Me playing my tomb kings him playing his empire. It went something like, my first turn i shot his pistoleers/outriders they fled off the board through his wizard who also paniced off the board, his turn his hellblaster blows itself up, his canon misfires cannot fire next turn. My next turn my 2 scorpions show up, take out his canon, he flees a unit of handgunners from the other one they run through swordsmen who fail panic and run off the board (handgunners don't rally and go next turn).
My 2 chariot units each charge something this turn end of the combat leave 1 state trooper unit dead, me overran into his 2nd unit, and his flaggelants down to like 10 models. My casket goes off in the magic phase and pretty much destroys his other handgunners. Anyway after the next turn where i clean up more he concedes with 5 knights, 10 greatswords left on the table without doing a single wound in return.

PeG
29-11-2009, 23:10
sometimes you are unlucky other times the other way around.

I only have 1 win against one of the skaven players around here (bell+ 2 furnaces + 2 doomwheels + globardiers + support). That win came from him blowing his bell up (requires a triple when using three dice) and taking almost his entire army out in the blast :)

SlaaneshSlave
29-11-2009, 23:18
That wasn't me, but on my the 1st outing with the new skaven book I had the same thing.

Turn 2 I ring the bell with 3 dice & roll 18. All models within 4D6 take a Str 4 hit, no AS. Only unit of mine that was not in range was my Doomwheel. By the bottom of turn 2, I did not have any single rank on the board in any unit.

So much for my hoard. ;)

Bard Harlock
29-11-2009, 23:40
It happens. Last night my ten skink skirmishers took a charge from a Champion of Nurgle who flew into them, lost two guys and then obliterated a 250 or so point model. I felt bad for my friend seeing him lose so much to my 14 points.

nightsrage
30-11-2009, 00:19
@ Da GoBBo "So your 270 point unit DIDN'T kill 380 points of undead elite? What has the world come to".

actually it was only the banshee that killed the unit in Stand and shoot not CC ... the crain wraiths did nothing therefore it was 80 points that killed 270. Nice spin on it though...

Dead Man Walking
30-11-2009, 02:22
Just be careful of someone who rolls double six's quite reliably. I am not saying they cheated with fixed dice but I have seen it happen before. Watch for players who play with different colored dice and always roll the same two dice for high or low rolls. I've seen at least 3 people in tourneys kicked out for playing with cooked dice.

Thats why I am a big fan of communal dice in tourneys, both players using the same pool of dice.

enyoss
30-11-2009, 02:27
I've seen at least 3 people in tourneys kicked out for playing with cooked dice.

I have no idea why anyone would ever bother to do that :confused:. Mmm, weird.

Astafas
30-11-2009, 02:42
You may need to sacrifice something to the dice gods. I mean the odds of killing all the knights were pretty long...

Having said that were they out on a flank all alone? If so why were they faced off against the wraiths (which are ultimately more maneuverable and could shoot em up over a number of turns) instead of smashing up your opponents line.

My best mate plays Khorne (with some mages) and if his knights are stuck into my poor skeletons then they drop like flies and if he can roll up my line its game over. I hate Khorne knights with a passion as a result... but also know they like to eat zombies and once out of position I can win the game by chewing up the rest of his army. Wraiths might be a better way of dealing with them rather than sacrificing 50pts a turn but realistically if your knights were off in the middle of nowhere then you had probably lost like he does?

So my view is they should be in the core of the enemy army smashing things and mages (on discs for flying zappy goodness) or even a cheap (for chaos?) character on jugger with a biting blade would probably be better for killing wraiths? Then your problem wont happen again...

(NB this is my first post as I normally just try to absorb the wisdom of this forum so please dont hurt me too badly)

outbreak
30-11-2009, 02:50
a friend of mine playing a 1 dice each skirmishing game found out he'd been given a dodgy dice with 2 1's on it (wasn't intentional).

i thought my own dice were rigged the other night, i rolled 4 hits in a row with my artillery dice on my screaming skull catapult (1 was a misfire on the range though)

Scythe
30-11-2009, 14:01
Bad rolls happen. It's part of the game. There isn't much you can do when your opponent nukes your 500 point unit with an irresistable gateway or skaven 13th spell either, is there? Or when your expensive general fails his look out sir roll and is killed by a scraplauncher. Luck is just part of the game, like it or not. If not, you might want to look into diceless games.

I have been on both sides of the fence. My pimped Vampire general with 2+ armour and 3+ ward got bitten to death by a warhorse. My vampire hero killed Tyrion in some of the weirdest dice rolls I have ever seen. But the most bizare moment was when a Khorne Daemon Prince at full wounds charged my Witch Elves. He cut down a whole rank, but didn't bother with the unupgraded champion. 4 attacks back, 4 wounds (despite S3 vs T5), 4 failed 4+ armour saves and 4 failed 5+ ward saves later the Daemon was no more...