PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else not like the Chaos Knight models so much?

Poseidal
29-11-2009, 13:45
I was looking at these, next to the Warriors and it just struck me that I find the new Knights too 'involved' modelwise.

I appreciate it being a plastic kit, with lots of bits, but the only two pieces I really like are a some of the heads: the one with the grille and one with the holes and the horses (to a certain extent, they still are a bit too ornate). On the others, I'd rather kitbash the heads for them from one of my Warrior kits.

I found the Warriors look really nice, they have a much more of a plain 'no nonsense' feel, and lend themselves better to specific themes if you want to add things (and don't file away parts)

Also, the new knights seem really bulky, almost another size category from the Warriors (who aren't small themselves). This lends themselves to be harder to rank too.

Anyone else feel the same way, preferring a 'simpler' more plain look?

Ymir
29-11-2009, 14:23
I don't like them at all. It's not that I think they've got too much detail, but the particular design choices of those details....The chaos knights are simply overdone. They've got so much spikes, thorns, skulls, horns and stuff that they look like the inbred lovechild between a sad failure of a norwegian black metal artist and the worst, most horribly vulgar design choices of <insert any fantasy MMORPG here>. Their weapons in particular are horrid; extremely unfunctional, overdesigned, and downright ugly, what we would call "fulsvärd (http://bjorn.foxtail.nu/fulaste6.htm)" in swedish. Fulsvärd is something very, very bad, a general affront to the entire cultural heritage of mankind.

I do like the horses, though.

Djekar
29-11-2009, 14:41
Fulsvärd is something very, very bad, a general affront to the entire cultural heritage of mankind.

Not to be nitpick-y, but isn't this a pretty fair approximation of what Chaos represents? Or am I misunderstanding the cultural contexts?

Also, I like the models, but they are bigger than I would like. I guess it's because they cause fear now?

O&G'sRule
29-11-2009, 14:44
The olny issue I have with them is the heads of the knights, but thats easily sorted. Otherwise they look big powerful and menacing, certainly a hell of alot better than the old ones and most other heavy cavalry models. They should be big as every story ever written about chaos knights describes huge powerful almost inhuman men on massive black steeds

Drakcore Bloodtear
29-11-2009, 14:44
I prefer the older ones they looked strong without being bulky

But the new ones, to many spike

Ymir
29-11-2009, 14:49
Not to be nitpick-y, but isn't this a pretty fair approximation of what Chaos represents? Or am I misunderstanding the cultural contexts?

Err...well....point. :rolleyes:

Still, Chaos should probably be an affront to the cultural heritage of mankind in the Warhammer world, but an insult to sensibilities in the real world? Well, partly maybe, the daemonettes for example really ought to look a little disturbing, and spawns should be downright body horror, but all warhammer models should also look appealing in some way, and horribly ugly swords really shouldn't be appealing to anyone in their right mind, in any way, ever. Then we might differ on what horribly ugly swords are, of course, but I think many sword enthusiasts with at least a basic knowledge of how a sword functions would agree that the Chaos Knight's swords fit the bill rather well. Compare with the swords of the ordinary Chaos Warrior models; that's nice, believable, and well-designed fantasy weapons.

Poseidal
29-11-2009, 15:06
I don't like them at all. It's not that I think they've got too much detail, but the particular design choices of those details....The chaos knights are simply overdone. They've got so much spikes, thorns, skulls, horns and stuff that they look like the inbred lovechild between a sad failure of a norwegian black metal artist and the worst, most horribly vulgar design choices of <insert any fantasy MMORPG here>. Their weapons in particular are horrid; extremely unfunctional, overdesigned, and downright ugly, what we would call "fulsvärd (http://bjorn.foxtail.nu/fulaste6.htm)" in swedish. Fulsvärd is something very, very bad, a general affront to the entire cultural heritage of mankind.

I do like the horses, though.

That's the sort of thing I was getting at. The Warriors had more practical looking swords and axes, and generally looked far less... silly.

Red Metal
29-11-2009, 15:20
The only complaint I have with the models are how tricky they are too rank up. Otherwise, I like the size for what they represent and I really like the cost ($$$), especially when compared to how much some of the Bret Knights are...

I agree, some of the Chaos stuff can be alittle over-the-top; but this is a Fantasy setting and not necessarily historically accurate or functional. For example, how many Orc figures have you seen with so many large teeth, that they couldn't actually close their mouths in real life?

mattschuur
29-11-2009, 15:26
I agree, they're overdone in the extreme. The model size doesn't really bother me as much as the cartoonish armor and weapons. When I first heard about the new models I was hoping for a modified version of the warriors. But, to be honest I still use them because they are so much cheaper than the old metal models.

matt schuur

Ymir
29-11-2009, 15:28
I agree, some of the Chaos stuff can be alittle over-the-top; but this is a Fantasy setting and not necessarily historically accurate or functional. For example, how many Orc figures have you seen with so many large teeth, that they couldn't actually close their mouths in real life?

Yes, of course, but I personally prefer fantasy where stuff seems functional and somewhat historically believable, while still being cool. Accordingly, I don't like orcs with that look at all.

Mabus
29-11-2009, 15:39
In that case, you should stick to LotR.

High fantasy games like warhammer are intended to be OTT and silly. Listen to some of the names....

jullevi
29-11-2009, 16:21
I was positively surprised by the new Chaos Knights. At least they are "chaotic" and individual, unlike the Chaos Warriors that are perhaps the most boring looking unit in Warhammer after Skull Pass Dwarves.

Odin
29-11-2009, 16:24
The olny issue I have with them is the heads of the knights, but thats easily sorted. Otherwise they look big powerful and menacing, certainly a hell of alot better than the old ones and most other heavy cavalry models. They should be big as every story ever written about chaos knights describes huge powerful almost inhuman men on massive black steeds

The old ones are without a doubt my favourite rank-and-file models of all time. Menacing without resorting to absurdly oversized weapons or excessive bling.

sabre4190
29-11-2009, 19:43
Yeah, just not a fan of the new chaos knights. I don't like the armor style, and general dimensions of the models. I wish they had done something closer to the old models.

Jiggy
29-11-2009, 20:20
I hate those models.The metal ones looked a thousand times better.
The new ones have no cloak (wtf), too many details but without giving a chaos feel...They are simply overdone, too hard to rank up and in some cases (weapons, heads) badly sculpted.

decker_cky
29-11-2009, 20:44
They look like old school chaos. They look like a unit of heroes. They look like chaos knights IMO. I like the 6th edition models to an extent, but I think the 7th edition ones are much better.

Ad-Rock
30-11-2009, 00:08
I reckon Chaos Knights look great! The models suit the fluff entirely.

ChaosVC
30-11-2009, 01:54
The chaos knights are a different kind of design from the 6th ed storm of chaos look, they are more ornate and more majectic while the 6th ed warriors and knights are more gothic and some may also say "(traditional). But if you look at the art work of chaos knights and warriors for both 6th ed and 7th ed, you will understand that they are experimenting or trying a different look for the warriors. Who knows, they may release new warriors base on 7th ed art works. Personnally I like them both but 7th ed models look more chaotic while 6th ed may look cool and gothic but risk looking too uniform and alike.

Narcissus
30-11-2009, 04:39
I dislike how many parts and bits there are on each. I also dislike the weird weapons. I'm getting some nice swords and axes together for my unit. Some of the axes and ok, and I like the mace head for a flail head. Overall though, they are just a bit too over the top.

Eternus
30-11-2009, 11:33
They look like old school chaos. They look like a unit of heroes. They look like chaos knights IMO.

Give that man a cookie - hit the nail on the head. Old school Chaos was always really over the top, but that's the essence of Chaos, isn't it?

Peronally speaking, I like the metal Storm of Chaos era Knights better, but the price of the new plastics is unbeatable with any metals. I just need two of the older metal ones to make up 10, but can't get just 2 from anywhere, so I'm gonna get the new plastics and kit bash them with bits from Warriors and use Marauder cloaks to make them look a bit more like the metal ones they'll be used alongside.

Makes no sense to e-bay 2 metal ones for same price as buying 5 new plastic ones with a truck load of bits left over.

Do like the horses though.

Poseidal
30-11-2009, 11:57
I dunno about that though. The really old stuff I see isn't quite so 'involved' either: http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20273rcchaosknight-h.htm

I prefer some of helmets to the current knights too (mostly, the new nice grille ones notwithstanding), they seem somewhat more practical.

I would rather have a more 'modernised' sculpt of these in the vein of the Two Hand-axe Exalted Champion.

Odin
30-11-2009, 13:51
Give that man a cookie - hit the nail on the head. Old school Chaos was always really over the top, but that's the essence of Chaos, isn't it?

I think there are two "old-school" Chaos styles. There's the Heroquest style - simple, brutal and functional (I have quite a few of the very very old metal models that follow this style - they're fantastic). And there's the mad, ornate style. Personally I'd like to see something that is a balance of the two. The Chaos Warriors have a good basic design but are too uniform in pose and design. The (new, plastic) Knights have a bit more variety, but have gone too far with absurd-looking weaponry and losing the sinister silhouette of the old metal knights with their fur cloaks.

EvC
30-11-2009, 13:56
They're good models, but missing something. I think they highlight the problem with plastics, where every model is a combination of separate pieces- which sounds good but it means you miss out on holistic details, such as flowing cloaks. But considering they were £12 for 5 when I bought them? Brilliant.

decker_cky
30-11-2009, 15:02
I dunno about that though. The really old stuff I see isn't quite so 'involved' either: http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20273rcchaosknight-h.htm

I prefer some of helmets to the current knights too (mostly, the new nice grille ones notwithstanding), they seem somewhat more practical.

I would rather have a more 'modernised' sculpt of these in the vein of the Two Hand-axe Exalted Champion.

I was thinking general chaos aesthetic, which came more in the warriors:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20270rcchaoswarr.htm
http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20268rcchaoswarr.htm
http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20269rcchaoswarr.htm

Champions had even more craziness.

Poseidal
30-11-2009, 15:07
I still don't really see that much similarity with those and the current chaos knights though. Most of those aren't totally adorned with things like the new ones are, and still look more functional (the bone armour stands out, and looks really different though).

I wouldn't mind if those were 'modernised'; I would prefer it's visual style.

wilsongrahams
30-11-2009, 19:10
I am actually of mixed view with the Knights. I simply chose to use the five heads I like, the others I actually hate, same for the weapons, and spikes etc. I chopped off some extra spikes and didn't glue all the extras on. Several shields I didn't use for the same reasons, and so in the end I have a group of five knights using the parts I like that aren't very spiky at all, and look very much in theme with the warriors.

I must mention I used the hand weapons, as the lances were too large and spiky and didn't look balanced enough to me. And, getting them onto the bases was a pain too, requiring lots of thought and testing before gluing in place.

I think of my chaos army as a viking style force, just violent in culture rather than being god worshippers, and the new knights fit my idea of the chaos force perfectly. I didn't want mutations and too many spikes etc.

Dr Death
30-11-2009, 20:02
I dont really play chaos but for different reasons over the years i've bought both the warrior kit and the knight kit and really i think more than the chaos knights being bad models (or visa versa) it's just the shift in design style which makes them annoying.

Because chaos is by it's nature inconsistant, creating a definative kit for warriors or knights is next to impossible. With 6th edition they created 'the look' which by the end of 6th edition's run all the chaos models conformed to so whether you bought into that perhaps uncharacteristically consistant look or not, at least the range was more or less coherent. The chos champion models for the four gods gave people a taste of what other warbands and tribes might look like to inspire converters.

With 7th edition though, much like with the night goblins and the goblins, GW have given us one bit of the puzzle and left the other pieces. By and large i think the new knight models are pretty good (bar a few details) but they have that ever present problem of chaos models of not being able to be everything to all people and so, without conforming to the rest of the range in terms of their aesthetic they're just a bit of an anonymous anomaly of the range :\

Dr Death

blackjack
30-11-2009, 20:08
I don't mind the lood of the new knights but I do find they have too much detail and that they don't rank well at all. Painting one takes forever.

wilsongrahams
30-11-2009, 21:25
Painting takes forever? Not literally I assume, but that also depends upon the colour scheme - there are no more details on them than say a High Elf Spearman when all is said and done, just larger areas of detail.

Ghod
01-12-2009, 00:10
I've never seen the new chaos knights in the fleash (so to speak)

But I've got plans of buying some and then combining them with a unit of warriors, so I can share all the crazy looking stuff between the two units and hopefully end up with them both looking cool.

Cypher, the Emperor
01-12-2009, 01:43
I use the old metal Chaos Knights because they look loads better than the new goofy ones.

Krom The Eternal
01-12-2009, 20:29
Honestly they look ok but i still hate them here is why the horses look amazing lower half of the body is fine but when you get to the arms and especially those awful shoulder pads that stick waaayyyy out front and back they look terrible the old knights where much better i loved the capes all you have to do to improve the old one is replace thier hand weapons and shields with ones from the warriors sprue and cut the metal heads off and replace them with the plastic ones this is what i did and they looked amazing 1000 times better then GW's new knights they look strange and out of place with a chaos army

GenerationTerrorist
01-12-2009, 21:43
I like them, even more so since I didn't attach the stupid looking (IMHO, of course!) shoulderpads.

Roark
01-12-2009, 23:13
I think they're awesome. The horses are a vast improvement on the last version, and the incredible amount of detail means that, when assembled and painted, they look like the true heroes of the WoC list that they really are.

They can be varied so much in terms of weaponry, shields and horses that you can have 4 or 5 units in a big army, and they don't look too samey-same.

5 units of the old Chaos Knights on the same field looks very homogenous.

I've put the large Marauder skull cloaks on mine, and they look even more grand/majestic as a result.

Elfboy
01-12-2009, 23:20
Do u think the larger size of the knights is to draw extra attention to them? I ask this because the plastic empire character kit models are also much bigger than the rest of the plastic range, but might this have been done intentionally as a way of making the characters stand out more? Likewise with the knights?

Johnnyfrej
01-12-2009, 23:34
I really love the new models. Same goes for the new Marauder Horsemen. The old Knights looked like simply Warriors that decided to hop on a horse. One of the biggest reasons I don't field Warriors is they are just so boring and static looking. Now the new Chosen on the other hand...

Demonborger
01-12-2009, 23:57
I have 20-30 of the old metal ones, and I will never get the new ones - hate the models

Putty
02-12-2009, 09:48
how odd. i had a WoC firesale a month ago and nobody was interested in my old chaos knights.

personally i don't like the new ones. they are too big and too spiky. they look nothing like the really old concept background sketches inside the old HoC book

also, the old ones look better when they are ranked up beside Archaon.

Darthvegeta800
02-12-2009, 14:58
I think they look cool.

Grimstonefire
02-12-2009, 15:22
I like the sprues and the cost, but GW has yet to release a chaos warrior (on foot or mounted, metal or plastic) that matches my vision of what 'chaos' is.

I'd like much more organic shaped armour, more like you see in lost and the damned or slaves to darkness. Those were proper chaos knights, not just plate armoured guys with 'chaos' spikes.

Baggers
02-12-2009, 15:32
I think the kit is great and the models themselves are great. I just prefer the previous edition metal models more. Shame I never got around to getting any.

decker_cky
02-12-2009, 16:54
personally i don't like the new ones. they are too big and too spiky. they look nothing like the really old concept background sketches inside the old HoC book

....shouldn't that be obvious since the concept sketches from HoC were the last metal knights? 6th edition mortals had a pretty big departure aesthetically from old chaos. Some like it and some don't. I like the 7th edition models more personally.

npow34
02-12-2009, 17:14
I am going to jump in here. I personally really like the new knights. I think their scale speaks to the fact that they are concidered almost royalty (if there was) in the chaos world. The ornate armor also speaks to this end. Agreed their armor does not really appeal to any specific god, but works well for all with the exception of nurgle. Which I simply apply gs for mine. Also I have noticed a trend that the higher the status of a chaos warrior the larger (physically) he becomes...in fluff as well as modeling. Why else would Archaron be the size of an ogre.

As for ranking them.....well that was the worst part for sure. What a pain, many hours to get it just right, but when done they look fantastic! Check my plog to see them ranked and fanning out for battle.

Good topic ;)

selone
02-12-2009, 19:13
They're a nightmare to pack, rank up. I prefer the older ones too.

ChaosVC
03-12-2009, 02:50
They are great for conversions really. Go browse coolminiornot and be inspired.

TheDarkDuke
03-12-2009, 05:26
I really like them. They are very flexible in use, not just for WoC. Im not fond of several of the heads but some removal of horns/warrior heads does the trick easily. I personally will be using the horses/rider legs for a unit of 5 Rough Riders as part of my chaos renegades with FW torsos. I then will be using the torsos/arms/heads/shoulder pads to assist in some ideas toward a SM and VC armies.

On top of my plans I have seen many of the parts of this kit to be used for:
-WoC hero/lords.
-WoC bit swaps on warriors and vice versa for more unique models
-VC Vampires/Wights
-SM/CSM conversions

So all in all the kit in general is just win. Not only is its main use as WoC knights good and nice, its flexibility in bit swaps with other chaos units adds to its value, and its bits flexibility in representing/working with many different kits even in 40k add even more to its value.

A lot of GW's best kits IMO are not just what they look like built as is, but the flexibility of simple easy conversion work where less skill (green stuff/sculpting) is needed simply wonderful and what all current/future sculpts should inspire to be if possible. I say this as I do not care for such kits as Empire Flagellants but respect their flexibility with so many different kits to create so much with such ease as just another example of what I am referring too.

Lord Dan
03-12-2009, 05:35
These ones don't really match the look of the warriors. Actually I feel they match the look of the old plastic warriors perfectly (huge horns, tiny torso, massive shoulders, silly weapons).

I would have preferred a plastic version of the metal ones (which actually match the new plastic warriors really well), to be honest.

Dareus
03-12-2009, 10:31
Don't really like them either. I don't think they are particularly bad but somehow they don't cut it.
I really like the plastic warriors (like most, it seems) although they are rather static. They should have kept this design. The new one have this "new car" feel to them. Don't appreciate this.

I noticed an effect like this quite often since the miniatures are mostly generated by computer. Tehy seem to lack "heart" or "soul" quite often. You see computer generated 3d-objects which look like "something it should look" but that's about it. :(

Although most new computer generated minis look fine or even great. The Chaos Knights are not amongst those I think

FurryMiguell
03-12-2009, 10:42
The old ones I like much more, truth be told. But I'm like that with a lot of the new minis being released along with 7th edition!

Voss
03-12-2009, 11:07
I was looking at these, next to the Warriors and it just struck me that I find the new Knights too 'involved' modelwise.

I appreciate it being a plastic kit, with lots of bits, but the only two pieces I really like are a some of the heads: the one with the grille and one with the holes and the horses (to a certain extent, they still are a bit too ornate). On the others, I'd rather kitbash the heads for them from one of my Warrior kits.

I found the Warriors look really nice, they have a much more of a plain 'no nonsense' feel, and lend themselves better to specific themes if you want to add things (and don't file away parts)

Also, the new knights seem really bulky, almost another size category from the Warriors (who aren't small themselves). This lends themselves to be harder to rank too.

Anyone else feel the same way, preferring a 'simpler' more plain look?

I do generally like the models, but...
they are a pain to rank up. As in nigh-impossible.

I was also particularly disappointed by the shoulder pads- they don't actually attach to anything at all- the just squish on the shoulders and sort of magically hang their with, well, glue. At least thats what comes to mind when you refer to them being too 'involved.'

@npow- hmm. The scale thing bugs me, actually. Upscaled doesn't imply royalty to me (not that the norscan tribes really have royalty, but thats yet another issue), big isn't royal- The model's scale is just off. It just strikes me as unrelated concepts.

Mini-J
03-12-2009, 11:27
I for one love the chaos knight models. And I invite anyone who doesn't like them to sculpt a better set. And besides removing detail (especially from plastic) is MUCH easier than adding it.

daemonkin
03-12-2009, 11:55
My plan for the knights is to buy them, a unit of cold ones and a unit of grave guard and kitbash to get some unique, plastic and cheaper Blood Knights.

Dark elf bodies, grave guard bits and chaos knight steeds. Plus a sh!tload of bits left over.

D.

Vaktathi
03-12-2009, 12:10
I don't mind the current knights too much, I actually like them a lot. That said however, I do think I like the Frazetta style of the previous Knights more, and especially miss the capes. The sort of lanky dreadful look of the Frazetta styled knights was really cool, although the models were a bit small and the horses underarmored. But the new ones aren't bad, they would fit better for the elite of far northern warband that exists very near to the Chaos gateway, while the older ones seemed to be more of a Conan type theme which would fit well with those not quite so outwardly changed by the raw power of Chaos.

Poseidal
03-12-2009, 14:20
I do generally like the models, but...
they are a pain to rank up. As in nigh-impossible.

I managed to get them to rank up, but it was on my 2nd unit. I'm tempted to pull all the arms off my first one and start them again.

One thing I miss (with WH models in general actually) is plain shields. I like to paint my own emblems on them, especially if they can all be different.

The heads were mostly too much. I'd rather just have regular horns (like the warriors) with some new face variations. I think a Chosen style symbol of Chaos, some 'grille' style faceplates and and different types of eye-slits would have gone a long way. Instead, I get sort of silly looking faces with too many horns and skulls.

Ironically, the head which has the holes and grilles and normal horns is my favourite of all the Warrior style heads in the range though.

npow34
03-12-2009, 14:44
@npow- hmm. The scale thing bugs me, actually. Upscaled doesn't imply royalty to me (not that the norscan tribes really have royalty, but thats yet another issue), big isn't royal- The model's scale is just off. It just strikes me as unrelated concepts.

Agreed that the Norscan tribes are another issue, because chaos knights as well as chaos warriors are not part of the tribes anymore. They may have been at one point, but their connection with chaos was more and they leave the tribes for a higher calling. Royalty may have not been the best wording...exaulted and lords would be better. Not to say that knights are exaulted or lords, but along the same lines. So...imo and what seems to be the trend in both fluff and minis, lords and exaulteds are bigger physically than regular warriors and of course maruaders (norscan tribes) because they are more blessed by the gods or one god. The mounts are twisted and enlarged by the powers of chaos thus their size. :D

mav1971
04-12-2009, 02:36
The plastic models are by far superior. The metal figures are pretty generic. The plastic ones look evil which is how chaos should look.

Putty
04-12-2009, 02:43
....shouldn't that be obvious since the concept sketches from HoC were the last metal knights? 6th edition mortals had a pretty big departure aesthetically from old chaos. Some like it and some don't. I like the 7th edition models more personally.

Not totally.

The old concept sketches were very exotic and due to the sculpting / casting limitations of old GW tech, they couldn't reproduce / add all the details from the concept sketches.

The current ones are actually closer to the old concept sketches but lack the finesse and finer proportions of the said concept sketches.

I would think that if the new plastic ones retain the old structural form but with added details (and no so much spikes) I think they can look much better. Although the new ones are bigger they look odd when they rank up beside Archaon as Swords of Chaos.

Night Bearer
04-12-2009, 14:35
At first, I really liked the new ones, as they have that same sort of "retro" vibe as the new Chosen models, which I love.

As time has passed, however, I like them less and less. Some of it is the size thing - I think I'd like them a bit better if they were closer to the Brets, with slightly bigger riders - but a lot too is the lack of capes and the sculpting.

To me, there are parts of the kit that are amongst the top notch examples of GW's new plastics capabilities, yet there are elements that remind me of the bad old plastics, where details were oversized and flat, with lots of chunky or bulky elements.

Hard to explain, but that's how they look to me. I actually do like the weapons quite a bit, except for the sword pointing forward - feels "bloated" and less-defined to me.

The other thing I liked about the previous metals is that they're static poses. To me that gives a unit like Chaos Knights more of an ominous feel than the more dynamic poses of the plastics.

I will say that the metals would have been a lot better with better horses. The old plastic horses are terrible, and they looked like dwarf ponies even before the over-sized new ones came out.

As a result, I'm currently building a unit of CK by putting the old metal Knights on the new plastic Chaos Steeds. It only take a little trimming of the steed to get the rider's saddle and cloaks to fit.

Commodus Leitdorf
04-12-2009, 14:42
I like the new models, though I do agree to an extent with the people who have issues with them. I mean they are a bit "busy" aren't they?

witchking
04-12-2009, 16:22
Personally i love those knights, they always remind me of when i read about them in a gotrek&felix novel, where it described a knight on the field of battle as they flew over it in the plane thing. If i am remembering right the chaos armor they wear is supposed to be the most ornate of all 'besides lords ect.' i think in the novel it even described the warrior's armor to be alive and breathing out of the demon face on his chest.
just my 2c

TheSil
04-12-2009, 18:17
hm as opposed to many comments I have read here I very much prefer the new knights to the older metal ones

I liked them so much better that I even bought a new regiment, even though I didn't really want another unit of knights in my army

my main problem with the old ones is that they are sooo small compared to other chaos warriors (quite ironically, because it seems the new ones are generally percieved as too big)

let me explain what I mean... I bought a unit of the plastic chaos warriors and metal chaos knights and was really disappointed when I compared the size of their weapons... the axes and shields of the knights were really really tiny in comparison to the warriors' arsenal... they looked like pocket axes used for spreading butter on bread rather than kill enemies in droves...

therefore I simply had to use the warrior weapons and shields on them to make them a bit less tiny

now with the new knight kit I removed the warrior weapons again and upgraded their weapons to the new lances (even though technically I still use them as hand weapons) - simply because I like the new weaponry so much better

Horus38
05-12-2009, 05:37
I'll say this on the matter:

The new Chaos knights box price POWNZORS the old chaos knight box price :rolleyes:. I find the looks comparable in the sense the old ones better embodied the feel of chaos back in the day, the new ones are more "contemporary" if you follow me.

Melkirich
05-12-2009, 17:37
I like the horses but prefer the old metal riders, hence I put the old riders on the new horses, funnily enough I like the new weapons too, so I swapped the old weapons for the new ones and I'm pleased with the end result.

Zarroc
06-12-2009, 03:33
New chaos knights are awesome, i would collect an army just for them

Roba-Fett
07-12-2009, 09:24
They have to look a bit different due to them being fear causing, of course.

I think I'm into the OTT look. Not got mine painted yet though.

I'm just happy to be able to stick plastic to plastic, as opposed to what we had to do before...

ChaosVC
07-12-2009, 09:31
To each his own I suppose, if we compare the old 6th ed and the new 7th ed, you kind of end up scratching your head and wonder what GW was thinking. Well both look awesome when it first came out but almost everyone agrees that the 6th model is underwhelming for sheer size...well being smaller, while the 7th ed is a totally new design with the mix of the old and the new, no more hunch back and each model look more like individuals then the near generic but still awesome cool look of the 6th ed one.

End of the day, 6th ed looks cool but compared to the 7th ed version in terms of size, they look like chaos ponies knights which is simply difficult to ignore.

Anardakil
07-12-2009, 10:40
I'm in the "the new ones are pretty awesome"-tent :)

tezdal
08-12-2009, 04:37
I find the new one quite visually appealing, I mean, arnt Chaos Knights supposed to be huge, spikey, and over the top?

And pretty fairly priced methinks....now for the those sexy Khorne Lord Knights.....beautifull, just wayyy overpriced

ChaosVC
08-12-2009, 04:44
I find the new one quite visually appealing, I mean, arnt Chaos Knights supposed to be huge, spikey, and over the top?

And pretty fairly priced methinks....now for the those sexy Khorne Lord Knights.....beautifull, just wayyy overpriced

Wait...what Khorn Lord Knights???

Jacktheripper34
08-12-2009, 07:50
I personally don't like the new plastic set. I tend to agree with most people on my side of this argument for why (over the top, too many spikes, etc etc).

I have recently started a Dark Elf army, but as a side project (when squishy pointy headed sadists become too much for me) I have started working on an all cav chaos army. Luckily for me back in the day I asked for chaos knights for xmas... and just chaos knights... so i have eight boxes of the crazies just chillen in my hobby closet. Im running two units of 10 chaos knights and four units of five chaos marauder horsemen, with four tooled out heroes, the knights are all devoted to... THE BLOOD GOD haha, im painting them all a bone/white color "the knights of the skull" came up with some cool fluff for them and I'm pretty excited about the project.

But back to OP, i thought about selling the 6th ed metal models on ebay and just getting the new ones but after seeing them in person i became disgusted with the notion. Im happy I have the old ones as again... I'm not a fan of the 7th ed models. That said, the price cant be beat.

Jiggy
08-12-2009, 10:12
Wait...what Khorn Lord Knights???
I think he is talking about the blood knights.

R-Love
08-12-2009, 21:38
I think he is talking about the blood knights.

Pretty sure he meant the lord on Juggernaut

ChaosVC
09-12-2009, 03:09
The clue words are "sexy Khorne Lord Knights".

tezdal
09-12-2009, 03:12
The clue words are "sexy Khorne Lord Knights".

erm ment khorne juggo lord and the other one on a horse, my favorite Games workshop miniature by far...something about the helm scream's insane bloodthirsty guy...with a smile

scarletsquig
09-12-2009, 07:05
The nice thing about plastic is that it's easy to change stuff you don't like.

Don't like the extra spikes and massive horns? Clippers and a file to the rescue.

taughttoxique
09-12-2009, 07:16
I don't see that much a big difference between plastic and metal when the player has done a good painting job, so I think plastic is better

ChaosVC
09-12-2009, 07:38
erm ment khorne juggo lord and the other one on a horse, my favorite Games workshop miniature by far...something about the helm scream's insane bloodthirsty guy...with a smile

The first thing that comes to mind when I see sexy is women...japan... ...anime style sexy Khorne japanese p... stars lords knights...horses...nevermind...

Gambles
27-05-2010, 01:45
Unfortunately I searched for this thread after I got into it. These guys are fat and you practically have to prop the weapon/shield directly in front of them in an ugly non-practical looking pose to rank them up. The bearer next to musician next to champion was a challenge. Next time I am going to search threads on models beforehand. Getting these guys to rank up wasn't rocket science but... it was more like brain surgery.

Havock
27-05-2010, 03:07
They should have bulked and scaled the old metal klnights up so they look like warriors on horses, rather than chaos dwarves on po...

hmmmmm.

Rochr
27-05-2010, 03:34
You need to position the horses on their 25x50mm bases in certain ways to get these guys to rank up. Even then there are still some issues especially with the standard bearer. What I did was that I used the standards from the Marauder Horsemen boxes which are not only alot more evocative but also easier to rank up.

The real challange is actually finding a frikken piece o foam to transport 15-20 of these guys, broken spikes, lances, heads etc... just a nightmare.

rtunian
27-05-2010, 03:38
i have not built them, but i have stared at them enviously in my brother's army for some time now. i think they are some of the best models in the entire wfb range

Jind_Singh
27-05-2010, 03:53
when i 1st saw them i went wow! but then when i really looked at them I went :(

i don't love them, they are OK but not amazing

Putty
27-05-2010, 04:41
they are difficult to rank up and too spiky for my liking.

they are however cheaper than the old metal ones, which is always a plus.

and if you want to be cheap, just use them as blood knights but cut away all the chaos insignias.

reddevil18
27-05-2010, 09:38
I have never had any problem ranking mine up together, and although i have not seen the old metal ones (pic please :P ) i think they look amazing compared to my old plastic knights.

The SkaerKrow
27-05-2010, 12:27
The new Chaos Knight models are simply some of the best plastics that GW has ever released. These are the elite of the elite, in many ways above even the Chosen of Chaos, and their sculpts accurately reflect that fact.