PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions About Fliers.

Shadow-BOT
29-11-2009, 17:27
Hey guys, I have a Dark Eldar Raven I've never used, so I'm planning to give it a go, but I'm confused as to what rules I should follow when using fliers. Do I use the more recent Apocalypse rules? Or should I use the older Imperial Armour rules from FW?

Also, for the points cost, should I use the points in the Imperial armour, or apocalypse rulebook?

Thanks!

Spacker
29-11-2009, 17:35
Forge World replaced the flyer rules in IAv6 and later with those from Apocalypse - the appendices include the Super Heavy, Flyer, and Gargantuan creatures from Apoc in their entirety and are stated that they are also for use in normal 40k games, and that they supercede the old flyer rules.

You should use the rules from IAv6/IAv7/Apocalypse rulebook for Flyers, and use the Raven datasheet from Imperial Armour Apocalypse. The IAA book is not just for Apocalypse, as it includes FOC assigments which are not used in Apoc games, eg the Raven is listed as a Heavy Support choice for DE. The IAA book also states that it replaces Imperial Armour Update 2006, which is the only other place the DE Raven had rules, so it's clear that you use the Raven points and rules from IAA.

Shadow-BOT
29-11-2009, 17:52
Thanks, all questions answered.

chromedog
29-11-2009, 22:01
Forge World replaced the flyer rules in IAv6 and later with those from Apocalypse - the appendices include the Super Heavy, Flyer, and Gargantuan creatures from Apoc in their entirety and are stated that they are also for use in normal 40k games, and that they supercede the old flyer rules.

You should use the rules from IAv6/IAv7/Apocalypse rulebook for Flyers, and use the Raven datasheet from Imperial Armour Apocalypse. The IAA book is not just for Apocalypse, as it includes FOC assigments which are not used in Apoc games, eg the Raven is listed as a Heavy Support choice for DE. The IAA book also states that it replaces Imperial Armour Update 2006, which is the only other place the DE Raven had rules, so it's clear that you use the Raven points and rules from IAA.

Um, Spacker: The Raven DID have rules in the older Imperial armour II softback as well (the razorwing as well - a model that seems to have vanished into the aether).

Otherwise, what Spacker said.

Spacker
29-11-2009, 22:36
But the softback books were rendered defunct when the IA Update books started coming out which brought their points and rules closer to 4th edition. Those old softback books were superceded long before IAA came along, and Imperial Armour Update 2006 was the only place with the most current Raven rules when IAA was released.

chromedog
07-12-2009, 06:35
No worries.

It looks like a planned obsolescence for the DE.
(or rather a badly planned and executed maintenance of them anyway).

Arakanis
07-12-2009, 07:57
Personally, I think you should use the old Imperial Armour rules for Flyers in small games. If you're playing Apoc, use the Apoc rules, but you're playing a buddy and he'll let you, try the IA rules. They're much more fun IMO.