PDA

View Full Version : Starting 40k, Do You Think This Would Work for Alpha Legion?

Bodhi
29-11-2009, 21:26
Hello,

I am thinking of finally taking the plunge and buying a Warhammer 40k army with the money that I got from eBaying some old Praetorians I found when I moved. I am leaning towards starting Alpha Legion after reading a lot on them, although not completely done with 'Legion'. They seem like a cool army but after looking at the Chaos Marine regular troops they just don't seem to fit my idea of them, so I was wondering if you think it would look good if:

1.) I got a couple of Dark Angel robed bodies (Shaving off the Imperial Eagles), not a lot, but I saw that Bit Kingdom has them for 5 for like 6 bucks so maybe like 10 marines or so.

2.) Then I was planning on getting some Assualt Marine running legs from Bit Kingdom as well and using like 10 or 15 of those (Before I get them does anyone know if they are interchangeable with the Chaos Space Marine boxes? This is because after reading a bunch of the Horus Heresy books it seems that the models for the marines are a bit static.

3.) I would like to use the regular Space Marine heavy weapons because I think they look better (I know I don't get the auto-cannon but, I could use the Chaos one if I needed it)

4.) Finally I saw on another post about using Imperial Guard models as lesser daemons and am wondering is that legal? Also which models would best reprosent this? I was thinking maybe Steel Legion, but what do you think becuase they don't have guns, rules wise that is.

If you got all the way through this post thanks for reading and any help you could provide would be much appreciated. Also do you think all of this mixing of Space Marine parts from different ranges would make the force look funny or would it be cohesive enough to look good?

Thanks,

Gray Hunter
30-11-2009, 22:47
I can answer two of your questions:

The Space Marine and Chaos Space Marine miniature ranges are interchangeable. I have a Space Wolves 13th Company army that is a mix of SM, SW and CSM bits, and I never had a problem with fitting them together. Even if there are minor glitches with some models, it's nothing that the most rudimentary application of green stuff can't fix.

As for using IG miniatures as "Lesser Daemons", I wouldn't have a problem with it, as long as you made it clear what unit those miniatures represented on the tabletop. Definitely for casual games it would be okay, as long as you were forthright with your opponent. You would need to model them to look like they had fallen to Chaos somehow. Maybe you could use zombie heads from the Fantasy range if you were going for the Nurgle look. For other gods you would need to remove any Imperial insignia at a minimum. I wouldn't worry about the miniatures having guns. Just explain to your opponent that they are representing the Daemons and therefore have no ranged weapons. Fluffwise, you could say that since the unit has fallen to Chaos they have stopped maintaining their weapons and now they're just expensive clubs, or that the unit no longer has the discipline to use them in long-range firefights and only uses them at very short range (i.e. blasting someone in the face in close combat instead of trying to hit the guy with the stock of the weapon). I'm not sure if this will fly in a tournament, but I don't see why not as long as you're careful to explain what they are and you use GW IG models.

Ivellis
30-11-2009, 23:06
I'd use IG command squads for lesser daemons, a little expensive, but they come with some chain swords and pistols. (Pistols can represent CCWs.) Then give them spiky bitz, icons, etc.

guillimansknight
30-11-2009, 23:21
Yeah SM Alpha models are quite popular of late

It's cause they are "clean" if you get what I'm saying

He Who Thirsts
01-12-2009, 04:25
I like the DA robes conversion, excellent idea.

If you need running legs, I started a bitz thread recently, and it should show you some sites to buy running legs bitz from.

Go ahead, use the autocannons, if you tell your opponent your using chaos marines, he will understand autocannon = reaper autocannon.

pookie
01-12-2009, 11:03
Go ahead, use the autocannons, if you tell your opponent your using chaos marines, he will understand autocannon = reaper autocannon.

no it doesnt, considering Normal havocs cannot use the Reaper, which is a Choas Terminator Wepon.

personally id have issues with IG being used as Lesser Dameons, mainly because they do not imo look at all like daemons, but heres a idea for you.

since your reading legion, you have heard of the Lucifer Blacks right?

why not say that instead of Lesser Daemons they are going to be the LB's? still count as Daemons, still use the rules, but better explains IMO why they are so Human looking ( after all daemons should be from your nightmares - well unless your nightmares involve Soldiers?lol).