PDA

View Full Version : Noob question

selfmedicated
29-11-2009, 23:23
hey guys just wondering if you could give me a run down of the black reach rule book as opposed to the hard back copy. is it just a streamlined rules only book? will i be missing anything important that will effect gameplay? i understand it will not contain the fluff as in the hard cover, just wondering if all the rules are in there or just basic starter stuff. i also understand all army specific rules are in the army books. cheers guys

colmarekblack
29-11-2009, 23:27
The hard back copy contains 40k background as well as the rules. The Small rulebook just contains the rules including universal special rules. So yes you can get away with using the smaller rulebook.

Bunnahabhain
29-11-2009, 23:27
. is it just a streamlined rules only book?

Yes.

It is easier to carry about, and harder to beat idiots about the head with when they refuse to read it. Those are the main differences...

Lothlanathorian
29-11-2009, 23:37
You could give them some nasty papercuts, though. And from paper like that magazines are made from, it'd be a pretty vicious one at that. You just might look a bit silly in the attempt, but the payoff is it'd last a while and annoy them much longer than a good whack about the head.

Thud
30-11-2009, 03:46
The small rules book has all the same rules as the hardback. The page numbers even match!

nightgant98c
30-11-2009, 04:50
I only carry the small one. It fits nicely in my army transport.

252nd Fire Dragoon
30-11-2009, 05:57
Aloha,
Small only has rules, but I still use that :D.

GirathonB
30-11-2009, 06:02
If you play multiplayer games the rules are in the hardcover. These aren't really necessary though. However, if you do plan on playing Cities of Death missions, the hardcover is required as the rules for preliminary bombardments are in it, but not the small one.

Dangersaurus
30-11-2009, 10:14
You miss out on background info, alternate missions, a simple campaign, rules for bombardments, concealment and ambushes... as well as more art and photos than the little book.

It's worth it. Even if you don't buy it you may want to borrow one from a friend and give it a read to give you ideas for making up your own missions.