PDA

View Full Version : First Skaven List ever. 2250 points?

8bitMummies
30-11-2009, 05:41
Hello!
I've taken a break from my Beastmen as the new Skaven models are just too awesome. Skaven were my first choice as an army, but I was too daunted by the requisite painting/modeling demands to take them on. Ironically, I'm finding them more enjoyable to paint up than my Beasts for some reason... :confused:

I'm trying to compile a list; my Warhammer skills are still null and void as I've yet to play an actual game. :rolleyes: As far as background is concerned, I want a 'mono-pestilens' army based around the allied Clan Morbidus, with a couple of Moulder-y things here and there. I may eventually end up taking Lord Skrolk for the Plague Monk core, but for now I'd rather avoid him. Competitiveness is the last of my worries, I'm only out for fun, so power-house units and untouchable Warlords can be sacrificed for sake of fluffiness. :D

Input and critique, please! If you don't mind looking over my big list, maybe you can give me a few pointers on stripping it down into a smaller force, too? (1000 pts.) The points count is iffy at best and I am sure there are some huge illegal mistakes, too.

Warlord mounted on Rat Ogre Bonebreaker w/ Blade of Corruption, Portents of Verminous Doom, Skalm, Shield of Distraction

Plague Priest on Plague Furnace, Level 2 Wizard, Flail, and Dispel Scroll

Plague Priest on Great Pox Rat, Level 2 Wizard, Plague Censer, Rival Hide Talisman, and Warp Scroll

30 Clanrats w/ Spear and Shield, Musician and Standard

21 Slaves w/ Slings, Musician

21 Slaves w/ Spears, Musician

30 Plague Monks w/ Full Command, Shroud of Dripping Death

30 Plague Monks w/ Full Command (Furnace-pushing Unit)

10 Plague Censer-Bearers, Plague Chanter

4 Rat Ogres, 2 Packmasters, Master-bred Rat Ogre, Master Moulder w/ Things-Catcher, Tail Weapon

Plagueclaw Catapult

...I think it comes out around 2250, but my math could be off.

Most of this list is based on models I own/am making. I keep seeing posts about how much RO's suck, but I like the models too much. Can my Warlord be in their unit, by the way? I am interested in squeezing in some Rat Swarms as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!! I apologize for my rookie-ness.

Bdt501
30-11-2009, 10:42
i am asumin ur lord can be in a unit as the rat ogres is a mount and u can put any mounted character in any unit, unless he is a flyer or rules state other wise.
the furnace is good as it makes the unit unbreakable so if hit by a fear causer can hold them there for a while i would prob drop he musicians from the slaves as well they are slaves and r pretty much fodder,
also if u got room u may want a bsb with the storm banner, against shooty armies it will come in handy,

8bitMummies
30-11-2009, 15:27
If I drop the musicians, spears, and slings from my slaves, the spears from my clanrats, and nix the Plague Chanter and 3 PCBs from the original unit I think I can afford a separate unit of 7 more PCBs (suggested at the Herdstone), or something else entirely.

I feel like I am cheating somehow without Rat Swarms! I guess the slaves fill the tar pit niche, but still...:)

On my Warlord, I traded the Skalm for a Foul Pendant. Good idea?

Should my PP on GPR run with the PCB's, or will that just cripple the extra movement the rat will grant him?

Right now I think I have about 20 additional points to play with, which allows me to swap the Shroud with a Storm Banner on my PM unit as I see fit.

Thanks for the input!

And yes, my Warlord can hang with the other ROs. Is this a wise decision?

Bdt501
30-11-2009, 15:54
ward save is always gd, i mean skalm no gd if ur dead,
as for ur gpr not sure he can go in with the units of skirmishers as he does not have the skirmish rules as he is a cavalry model, so doe snot have 360 movment, although not gd to have him by himself either, so u could either drop the gpr and have him on foot with the pcb's or on the rat in with the other units of pm's.
i would go with the storm banner beign with ur priest on the plague furnace u dotn want that to break from combat just before an opponents turn of heavy shooting.
spears can be useful for prolonged combat, or if u get charged, but means u drop an armour save in the front

Foegnasher
30-11-2009, 17:25
ok. we're gonna help you here.

Warlord mounted on Rat Ogre Bonebreaker w/ Blade of Corruption, Portents of Verminous Doom, Skalm, Shield of Distraction
(i like it! very hitty. the PoVD ought to be awesome. wh0 you plannin' on deployying him with?)

(needs some protection)

Plague Priest on Great Pox Rat, Level 2 Wizard, Plague Censer, Rival Hide Talisman, and Warp Scroll

(sup with the pox rat? just like it? he doesnt really need the extra move, he might charge out of your unit if you arn't careful.)

(lose the spears)

(never ever upgrade these guys. they suck, just let them be good at what they do. dieing. get them in your opponents way. frenzy bait, marchblock, soak up missles. use em as meatshields and abuse em.)

(dripping death is cool, but i really like the plague banner. makes them extra nasty. for the charge)

(lose the vet. magic number for PCB's is 6.)

4 Rat Ogres, 2 Packmasters, Master-bred Rat Ogre, Master Moulder w/ Things-Catcher, Tail Weapon

(that MM may have to go in front. makes him vulnerable, he's only T4 with a 6+ save. if your general is going in here anyway, maybe lose him and an ogre. 5 is too many. i like 4. if he isn't then let em be.)

Plagueclaw Catapult

(this thing has some potential. if you can get wither off on a block of troops it's going to be brutal if you can hit them with this pie plate chucker.)

overall, the list is small. i would advocate more units. clanrats and slaves, as many as you can fit. my $.02.

8bitMummies
30-11-2009, 23:06
(i like it! very hitty. the PoVD ought to be awesome. wh0 you plannin' on deployying him with?)

I was considering deploying him with the rest of the ROs, but perhaps he would be better within a Clanrat unit? Is that possible?
I've since decided to give him a Foul Pendant instead of Skalm, btw.

(needs some protection)

What would you suggest? World's Edge armour, Shadow Magic Trinket? Something along those lines? I see a lot of people stressing the importance of Dispel Scrolls.

(sup with the pox rat? just like it? he doesnt really need the extra move, he might charge out of your unit if you arn't careful.)

I am mostly interested in the GPR for the fun of modeling one. If it makes more sense to drop it I can be persuaded to do so. On his own he'll get shot to pieces I imagine; maybe I should throw him in with the ROs?

(lose the spears)

Done and done. :D

(never ever upgrade these guys. they suck, just let them be good at what they do. dieing. get them in your opponents way. frenzy bait, marchblock, soak up missles. use em as meatshields and abuse em.)

Also done, the sentiment appears unanimous! That will teach me for showing a bit of compassion for slaves.

(dripping death is cool, but i really like the plague banner. makes them extra nasty. for the charge)

Plague Banner was my first choice, but I was deterred by the 'one use only' clause. Re-reading it, however, does make me think that the Shroud would be better on an individual BSB, so maybe I will switch these out? They are the same points cost, after all.

(lose the vet. magic number for PCB's is 6.)

On another forum I was told 7 was the magic number. Any particular reason for 6?

(that MM may have to go in front. makes him vulnerable, he's only T4 with a 6+ save. if your general is going in here anyway, maybe lose him and an ogre. 5 is too many. i like 4. if he isn't then let em be.)

I have to admit, I am a little worried about having the MM out in front. I'm afraid he'll be meat before he even connects. I'd rather keep the ROs intact at 4, so maybe I'll keep the general away from here entirely. I've modeled my MM with a 2-handed Things-catcher, but I have another one I could use instead- is the whip a better idea entirely? I assumed a killing blow was worth the points.

Plagueclaw Catapult

(this thing has some potential. if you can get wither off on a block of troops it's going to be brutal if you can hit them with this pie plate chucker.)

I am looking forward to launching it into slaves. :D

overall, the list is small. i would advocate more units. clanrats and slaves, as many as you can fit. my $.02.

Hmmm....if I've freed up approximately 120 odd points, should I just forget the additional PCBs and add more CRs? Or would 2 more 21-deep units of Slaves be a better choice?

Thanks for the help, Foegnasher, it is very much appreciated. You too, Bdt501.

Bdt501
01-12-2009, 13:22
the reason behin not wantin ur preist on a gpr is it has a greater movment than ur other model, as the charcter has frenzy he has to charge if he is able, so if people r like 11 inchs away from ur unit it will mean ur charcter may have to charge out by himself in the cumpolsory movment phase, which is never a gd thing