PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Tau as a real military.

Corpse
30-11-2009, 21:23
With the tidbits aside and personal bias of their culture/look. The rules seem to match a modern version of combat that few armies in 40k can match as far as rules allow.

Longer range standard rifle, on par with sniper rifles in terms of damage and volume to usability with markerlights.

Markerlights with refracting super-lasers (if you've ever seen a hard core laser with a big diode hit something, the light bounces everywhere and lights up things for a scanner to pick up easier). A concept I never really gave much thought up until now, making pathfinder units very very realistic in that theme. Also granted its not a high heat laser so it does not make a beam from the sender to reveal their location.

Anti tank weapons on walkers (Broadsides) make sense if you can manipulate cover to be your armor, on top of being nicely armored yourself. With side weapons to take care of anything else that pesters you.

Drone usage, taking the first casualties or offering high-eye view above terrain for the unit to move with personal intel. Sure this is not an in-game feature, it sure adds to the depth.

Lone, long spread troop squads with singular markerlights hitting vehicles from a long ways away with seeker missiles. This may seem silly, but if you know what the apache helicopter is truly capable of, you will know its not a concept that was made up but rather is in real world practice.

Hammerhead Tank with ord and direct anti tank shots (abrams comes with a 'shotgun' round that can clear a city block of exposed infantry) makes it a very realistic weapon.

Scout drones on all vehicles or possibly on all vehicles for scouting dangerous areas out or sniffing ambushes in advance.

All vehicles are skimmers in most respects, adding the the mobile idea of an army capable of negotiating most terrain. (dangerous terrain tests aside, a jet pack can take its time to get around a ledge or a broken building outside of the rules) But in-game its more dangerous, quirk of the rules and rushing with the jet packs being daring.

Lots more to mention but I'll stop there. Now to build a realistic military list out of these concepts?

I figure, with the most un-realistic parts of the army being the vespids, sniper drones(probably), Skyray(far too limited for military operations), and maybe Pirahna(Think helicopter, range and the only reason for short range speed is to drop a bomb/turret/troops off).

Help me list out the most viable units to make a list with and maybe the best ways to use them? Tactics will ensue shortly after the units have been discussed. An active project I will be returning during the day to keep with. I will be reconstructing my old little tau army anew with camo scheme, and all metal parts painted combat black. Airbrushing different colors to get a digital camo feel.

Archangel_Ruined
30-11-2009, 21:59
I'm afraid it wouldn't really work as your boards would need to be absolutely huge to use their tactical advantages properly. That said it is worth keeping a game plan in mind, and if I were you I'd stick to close range fire fights in an APC heavy list. This works in a tactical and game sense.

blurrymadness
30-11-2009, 22:09
Well small teams of pathfinders make sense, just finding a way to utilize those transports is problematic. Using them as cover/support would be good for what you're looking for. Adding seeker missiles for anti-transport duties might work, and utilizing hammerheads as MBTs might work, you'll just find a lack of real AT without broadsides or meltas.

Stealth Suits are much like you'd imagine spec ops in some ways. If armed for busting tanks and infantry, they essentially pop up and neutralize something for the larger mass to take advantage of.

I imagine utilizing your range/accuracy in cover and then double tapping when you get the chance is the most realistic (and almost the most viable) way of utilizing your FWs. Personally Kroot are awesome shooting for the points if markerlights aren't available, and they act a lot like you'd imagine they should, save the horrible morale.

Dyrnwyn
30-11-2009, 22:09
I figure, with the most un-realistic parts of the army being the vespids, sniper drones(probably), Skyray(far too limited for military operations), and maybe Pirahna(Think helicopter, range and the only reason for short range speed is to drop a bomb/turret/troops off).

The Skyray is more realistic than you'd think. The tank as originally designed by Forgeworld is basically cribbed from real life anti-aircraft systems. Where the Guard and Orks still use WW2-style flak and direct-fire quads, the Skyray is basically a modern SAM launcher. It's just lost any special AA-fire rules in the transition to a system with no flyers.

Nakor
30-11-2009, 22:23
sniper drones are fine, see UAVs like the US reaper drone. to make it a fullt robotic unit just proxy the tau controler with a drone with a bunch of sensor gear on it.

do you want like generic army realisim, or elite army realism?
for realisim you can pretty much do what ever you want here. just about anything can be rationalised and most 40k armies have ways of fielding realistic armies.

id personally avoid suits (we dont have walkers), and stock up on plenty of mechanised inf supporting a couple of pieces of armor

Corpse
30-11-2009, 23:19
Sniper drones do have uses, but investing in a one man team circulating drones is ill-efficient when the ranges of the standard rife and the sniper drone's weapon in open warfare is very non-effective. Its best if its in lone, isolated incidents where snipers make their mark.

Anti aircraft with 6 missiles, compared to... 2 per transport. Three shots with a Skyray, that 36" anti aircraft weapon limit is a little awkward. Its better off handled by hammerheads! Pardon the enthusiasm, the range of the markerlight is the reasoning behind the skyray's failing. Depending on other markerlights to be its own anti aircraft system is silly. If the markerlight was infinite range/60"+ vs fliers, then maybe.

Will check back later.

mdauben
01-12-2009, 01:41
With the tidbits aside and personal bias of their culture/look. The rules seem to match a modern version of combat that few armies in 40k can match as far as rules allow.
I would agree. Despite the way the current IG Cadian minis were painted to look like US troops in the middle east when they were first released (desert camo BDUs and woodland camo body armor), the Tau probably match the equipment and tactics of the modern US (or other 1st world) army better than any other force in 40K.

Skyray(far too limited for military operations),
I always though that the Skyray was a fairly realistic concept (self-propelled SAM launcher like the American MIM-72 Chaparral (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-72_Chaparral)) that just didn't really have a role in 40K since air power is not that significant in the game.

and maybe Pirahna(Think helicopter, range and the only reason for short range speed is to drop a bomb/turret/troops off).
If we are going to draw parallels to modern military helicopters, I guess I see the Devilfish as sort of an updated version of the Russian Mil Mi-24 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Mi-24). Fast insertions for ground troops, with significant on-board weapons to support them both before and after they debus. The Pirahna I see as more of the Tau version of a light attack helicopter like the old American AH-1 cobera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AH-1_Cobra)in both role and concept. While I am sure pilots of Pirahna's would love a longer ranged weapon on their vehicles, they are probably technologically limited to the Fuzion Blaster as the best "light" AT weapons system short of a full-blown Railgun (which would be much too heavy for the small Pirahna to carry).

Help me list out the most viable units to make a list with and maybe the best ways to use them? Tactics will ensue shortly after the units have been discussed. An active project I will be returning during the day to keep with.
The "Mech Tau" list is a pretty mature concept, and there are any number of examples to be found in the Army List section of the forum. Basically Crisis Suits, Fire Warriors in Devilfish, Pathfinders in Devilfish, and Hammerheads. Despite some hits that the concept took in 5th Ed, its still probably the most effective Tau list.

I will be reconstructing my old little tau army anew with camo scheme, and all metal parts painted combat black. Airbrushing different colors to get a digital camo feel.
This sounds very cool, and I hope you follow through with it. Be sure to post some pics!

fox-hound
01-12-2009, 02:00
Well, corpse considering you have 666 posts, I don't think we can trust you.:p:);)