PDA

View Full Version : Vostroyans, alternate colour schemes and Carapace armour

Gus Train
01-12-2009, 00:26
Ok so:

1. Has anyone seen any decent Vostroyans painted in colours other than the red and gold? If so, links would be much appreciated. It's not that I'm not a fan of the red/gold, but I'd like to throw in something different. I was thinking blue as it's a colour I love working with but I can't see it suiting the models.

2. Would anyone have a problem with using the Vostroyans as they are as Vets? After all they are bedecked in pouches, ornate armour, grenades, goggles, bionic attachments, respirators etc.

3. Is Carapace armour a viable option for an all vet-mech army? I.e. is it worth the added survivability/vs. cost? FYI my army will be Vets in Chimeras/Valks essentially and the squads will be kitted out with either 3 special weapons or 2 special weapons and a heavy weapon.

Cheers for any feedback.

sigur
01-12-2009, 00:38
1. Has anyone seen any decent Vostroyans painted in colours other than the red and gold? If so, links would be much appreciated. It's not that I'm not a fan of the red/gold, but I'd like to throw in something different. I was thinking blue as it's a colour I love working with but I can't see it suiting the models.

Yes, I have, but browse (http://coolminiornot.com/browse/page/1/title/vostroyan)for yourself.

2. Would anyone have a problem with using the Vostroyans as they are as Vets? After all they are bedecked in pouches, ornate armour, grenades, goggles, bionic attachments, respirators etc.

Can't speak for the rest of the world but I wouldn't. What do you use for regular Guardsmen?

3. Is Carapace armour a viable option for an all vet-mech army? I.e. is it worth the added survivability/vs. cost? FYI my army will be Vets in Chimeras/Valks essentially and the squads will be kitted out with either 3 special weapons or 2 special weapons and a heavy weapon.

You have to know that yourself. I don't think it's worth the points costs but I don't like having expensive squads at all. Best thing would be trying out for yourself, second best thing would be asking the other guys over at the IG Tactica thread. Due to mechanized Vets being more or less standard currently, there will be one predominant opinion about that and your question is sorted.

Grimbad
01-12-2009, 00:48
My vostroyans are blue and gold, and I use them as grenadier veterans. Really I think grenadier rules fit the vostroyan look and background much better than infantry squads.

bigcheese76
01-12-2009, 21:09
I'd say use them as veterans but only if you dont intend to have any standard guardsmen or conscripts. otherwise what models will you use for standard guardsmen.
Also if your going to give them carapace thats perfectly fine witht the models but its not worth giving the squad a transport and carapace. i prefer taking the transport but you should choose whether you want carapace or a chimera.

Murphy's law
01-12-2009, 21:42
Using them as grenadiers is the way to go.
Carapace armour is very expensive.
If you want to play them for the fluff, you could make carapace somewhat usefull by taking taking lot's of plasmaguns(which is fluffy).
It's especially good in a command squad with 3 plasmaguns and a medic.
Carapace armour comes in handy to if your chimera explodes.

Good luck
But still, it's overpriced

catbarf
01-12-2009, 23:00
It's also very, very handy if you're caught in the open as it doubles your survivability against most of the fire the squad will take.

101st Vostroyan
02-12-2009, 00:55
Look up Light of The Emperor's vostroyan project log.

His army looks splendid, far better than my red Vostroyans.

Also, I dont understand why everyone sees Vostroyans as a Veterans army. I myself and many others use a full guard army of Vostroyans just as you would do with catachans ar cadians.:p

fluffstalker
02-12-2009, 05:23
Well Vostroyan models, being ornate and expensive $ wise, are often used as veterans or storm trooper squads. But yes, they are a separate regiment just like the Mordians or Cadians etc and so it wouldnt just be the "vets", it would be line squads as well, though ostensibly vostroyan infantry are more hardened than most. Its just hard to find people with the pockets that can afford a full army of them.

Murphy's law
02-12-2009, 10:01
It's also very, very handy if you're caught in the open as it doubles your survivability against most of the fire the squad will take.

Agreed.
Having an armour save against bolters and flamers is worth it.
I think grenadiers is the way to go for veterans.
you don't have that many models on the table, so better make them more survivable.

Lostzilla
02-12-2009, 10:30
Also, I dont understand why everyone sees Vostroyans as a Veterans army.

money money money

Murphy's law
02-12-2009, 10:48
Look up Light of The Emperor's vostroyan project log.

His army looks splendid, far better than my red Vostroyans.

Also, I dont understand why everyone sees Vostroyans as a Veterans army. I myself and many others use a full guard army of Vostroyans just as you would do with catachans ar cadians.:p

Indeed, they are no veteran army. But they have a high amount of veterans.
Veterans, especially grenadiers is the best way to represent the superior weapons and wargear they use.
Mastercrafted weapons could be represented by BS4. carapace armour is obvious.
And to give them more of a platoonlike image people should not stay away from using weaker weapons like grenade launchers and heavy bolters.

Some of my veteran squads had nothing but 1 flamer and heavy bolter.
I did put them on the table with my commandsquad. That gave the impression of a platoon, allthough they where HQ and veterans.