PDA

View Full Version : Hell froze over, GW is giving a discount (Of sorts)

Pavic
01-12-2009, 02:30
Well, I am sure some of you have seen it. GW is giving a $15 back if you spend $150 US, $30 if you spend $300 US, etc. The end is nigh!

sucramreverse
01-12-2009, 02:46
but if the end is nigh, I won't have time to paint my new discounted toys, so I won't waste my money on them. But then I don't get a discount, so the end is not nigh..a paradox!

Fugazi
01-12-2009, 02:52
Just saw that. Am currently looking forward to seeing my first flying pig.

Vermin-thing
01-12-2009, 03:19
Arg!!! Just as I spend over that in Canadian $$$.

Looks like I have a job to do.

Also now it seems that HQ is reading these threads. :rolleyes:

I'll be hunting bigfoot tomorrow morning.

Demrush
01-12-2009, 03:40
I too was surprised (in a delightful) way to see that GW are giving these discounts! And since I live close to a GW outlet, I'll probably be dropping by to do some quick "Christmas" shopping.

Hurray for Space Marine filled stockings!!

Vermin-thing
01-12-2009, 06:10
It's almost a can of spray. :cries: If only it had been $50 for every $150 spent, or a free battalion for $200.

Oh well it might prove useful for new players as they get the spray for $3.

If you spend $1350 you'll get a free battalion. lol

Gabacho Mk.II
01-12-2009, 06:13
Also now it seems that HQ is reading these threads. :rolleyes:

I'll be hunting bigfoot tomorrow morning.

ROFLMAO!!! :D

[a great post sir! I bow to you!] ;)

Avian
01-12-2009, 06:42
Heh, the ad on the front page even says: "All registered customers will receive a FREE 10/€10/100kr voucher for every 10/€10/100kr spent."

Spot the flaw. :D

Still rather 'meh', given that you have to spend at least 100 to get any kind of discount and you have to use the voucher before the end of January next year. :wtf:

destroyerlord
01-12-2009, 07:02
Its a rather small voucher so it wont be hard to spend. Just buy a blister pack. Still, a 10% voucher is rather generous (especially for GW). Consider independent retailers like maelstrom, they give 1% back on all sales (on top of their already generous discounts though).

Avian
01-12-2009, 07:08
Maelstrom has a 12.5% discount on GW stuff and you don't need to spend 100 first and you don't get it as a voucher.

xowainx
01-12-2009, 08:14
GW does offer free next day courier shipping in the UK though, whereas Maelstrom only has free second class postage. I'll still order most of my stuff through Maelstrom, but it's not a bad deal, especially as you get to include direct only items in it, that it's impossible to otherwise get any form of discount on.

Avian
01-12-2009, 08:30
Not to go further off topic, but up here it is significantly better to order from Maelstrom since you then pay UK prices while GW's Norwegian prices are around 40% higher than the UK ones (for no good reason). And shipping takes equally long time with either company.

The "free shipping over 10" deal they had (have?) made a lot more difference since they had previously set shipping rates at a rather ridiculous cost which had nothing to do with the actual cost (you could avoid it if you ordered it shipped to the one GW store in Norway, but that is nowhere near where I live).

At least they are improving. :)

orkz222
01-12-2009, 11:23

hahaha :D

Anyway not bad for ppl who one to order those direct-only items.

Souleater
01-12-2009, 12:28
If only it ran until the Nids were released. :(

Col. Frost
01-12-2009, 13:16
They did the same thing two years ago (not sure about last year?).

Withthe purchase of 2 Baneblades i mangaed to get a FREE (almost) sentinel ;)

So they do do offers once in a while, and im looking forward to this months Blue Moon.....

loveless
01-12-2009, 14:22
I was surprised at it.

Then I thought "Jeez, that's a lot to spend for a 10% discount."

Then I remembered "Wow, it doesn't take long to get to $150 in GW products."

:p

I like it - a sort of sale. I might go throw some Legion of the Damned in there...wait, do Advanced Orders count? I need to go read that closer.

Flying Toaster
01-12-2009, 18:51
Its not actually a discount since you have to spend any money you save ;)

spetswalshe
01-12-2009, 19:50
Two Baneblades gets you a Sentinel? That's like one box of Chimera gets you a searchlight. Or with every box of Genestealers you get one solitary Ripper.

Chiron
01-12-2009, 20:20
A market so starved of discounts and deals it gets excited over this?

Good lord how depressing

Chaos and Evil
01-12-2009, 20:30
Maelstrom has a 12.5% discount on GW stuff and you don't need to spend 100 first and you don't get it as a voucher.

QFT. This is worse than plenty of deals available elsewhere.

The Orange
01-12-2009, 20:30
Was about to say that maybe GW deserves a pat on the back for the effort...maybe. But after checking it out all I can say is that it's yet again another fairly pathetic promotional attempt. Their just trying to get people to register on their sight. "Look grandpa doesn't have to play but he can sign up and get his very own voucher too"(after spending another $150).

It's only a 10% savings if you spend the exact increment, spending $299 gets you a net savings of 5%. Which Flying Toaster correctly pointed out, your spend on GW again meaning either you'll spend under and lose even more value or spend more and give even more to GW. And does spending even more net you better discounts? Nope, it's the same discount. No thanks GW I think i'll just buy locally or online somewhere else where I can spend $10 and actually get my full 10-25% discount.

And tbh I bet this is some scheme to inflate some sort of numbers they can quote somewhere else to make it look like business is good. "Look sir we've managed to increase registered users by X% in the last few months, if you fire my team registrations will drop and that must mean sales aren't going up, I guarantee it ;)."

Honestly how can you feel confident in a company that thinks this offer is actually worth something?

Mattcrowther00
01-12-2009, 20:33
You know, it does make me laugh at how people moan and moan about GW not having sales or discounts - But as soon as they do, people start moaning about how the deal is rubbish or could be better!!

I for one think that 10% off is bloody good as far as Games Workshop goes - And free delivery to boot! I'll give a big thumbs up to them even if no one else does!! :D

Avian
01-12-2009, 20:47
It's not actually 10% off unless you spend exactly 100 (or 200, or 300). If you spend, say, 150 it's 6.7% off. It's one of those trickeries of business that makes it look more generous than it really is. ;)

If they gave you a voucher for 10% of what you spend as long as you spent at least 100, then you could sort of say that it was 10% off, but it's still only sort of since you don't get to keep the money saved and the worth of the extra stuff you get is from GW's side less than 10. So by spending that 150 you're getting stuff that costs them maybe 4*. That's a cheap way of getting people to spend 150 pounds (which looks good in the financial report) and I wonder why they don't do it more often.

Just an observation.

* and since it has to be spent before February, no doubt some people will forget to use it in time, which is money saved for GW

Chaos and Evil
01-12-2009, 21:22
You know, it does make me laugh at how people moan and moan about GW not having sales or discounts - But as soon as they do, people start moaning about how the deal is rubbish or could be better!!

I for one think that 10% off is bloody good as far as Games Workshop goes - And free delivery to boot! I'll give a big thumbs up to them even if no one else does!! :D

I don't see how it is moaning to point out that other retailers of GW products offer 12.5% or greater discount, year-round.

loveless
01-12-2009, 22:02
Eh, it's a savings from GW, meaning that they at least realize that offering some version of a sale is helpful.

True, it's not a lot back, but it's something back. The quality of the offer doesn't matter at this stage - the fact that an offer exists does. It opens the gates for more things to come along in time.

The Orange
01-12-2009, 22:11
Yes but it's an offer with the sub-text of registering with GW, so I don't really see any doors opening. Their offering it only because they want something out of their customers. I'm not saying it's a horrible deal, registering is pretty harmless, but that's why there's a discount, not because GW is trying to stimulate sales or anything.

BaloOrk
01-12-2009, 22:29
This is something like a 100% better than nothing at least. :D

Mini-J
01-12-2009, 22:35
sounds to me like they have taken notice of their competitors and are attempting to lure people back into their wallet. Too little too late

Pavic
01-12-2009, 23:34
I will admit, the only way I would ever take advantage of this deal is to order direct only items. That extra $15 will pick up a blister of Alcatani Pikemen for me.

Schmapdi
01-12-2009, 23:41
It's nice that they've at least heard of the word discount, and looked it up in the dictionary now. It's an itty bit first step towards becoming a reasonable retailer.

But yeah - you can do way better elswhere all year round (I got 16% off my order at Maelstrom during their xmas sale).

Just to Illustrate: My order from Maelstrom was $144 and some cents. (For an OK Battalion, Hunter, Wash Set, 3 brushes)
The same order from the GW store $191.23 - so even with a $15 voucher (that only lasts a month!) it's not even close, ~19% cheaper at Maelstrom.

Mannimarco
02-12-2009, 00:01
this is good, GW offering up a discount IF you spend all this money

will people go for it? probably yes but I can still see most sticking with maelstrom and wayland, better savings and you dont need to spend hundreds to get them

Dangersaurus
02-12-2009, 02:38
Vouchers aren't discounts. I'd rather get my special offers up front than in the rear.

Imperius
02-12-2009, 04:31
[Runs outside.]

It doesn't look too apocalyptic, seems odd that GW gave a discount.

Oh wait, it hardly counts seeing as you have to spend ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS for a $15 bonus.

Seriously, buy from thewarstore or miniwargaming, you'll get a bigger discount without spending royalities on plastic toys.

Wintertooth
02-12-2009, 11:35
If GW ever offered a real 10% discount, I doubt they'd have an indie retailer left inside 6 months.

simonr1978
02-12-2009, 12:05
It's not actually 10% off unless you spend exactly 100 (or 200, or 300).

Even then it's not actually 10% off since you have to spend 110 to get your freebee, so even assuming a best case where you spend exactly 100 on your initial spend then exactly 10 on your follow up spend with your voucher the best you're getting is just over a 9% saving.

The boyz
02-12-2009, 12:51
Bit of a rubbish discount deal. I just got 16% off from Maelstrom Games as part of a Christmas deal. Plus I didn't have to spend a minimum of 100 to get it.

Nightsword
02-12-2009, 13:06
sounds to me like they have taken notice of their competitors

Quite possible. In fact, QFT. Just seems like a reaction rather than an initiative.

Lord Malorne
02-12-2009, 13:24
My indie gives our club a 10% discount year round, why on earth would I shop at a GW now :confused:.

Lord Malornesword

Grimstonefire
02-12-2009, 15:33
Pavic has a good point, for Direct only things or Forgeworld it is a good deal.

For everything else there is mastercard ;) No... Wait. There are retailers selling at 20% off as standard.

Dangersaurus
02-12-2009, 18:24
Quite possible. In fact, QFT. Just seems like a reaction rather than an initiative.

It might even be a reaction to something internal that we're not privvy to... the limitation on spending it until a very short window after Christmas seems like someone inside is still dragging their heels over the idea.

I'm not even sure it's legal to limit virtual vouchers to such a short period here in the US and in Canada. It probably falls under the law passed earlier this year (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-627), which has a 5 year limit, while GW is trying to limit it to 5 days. It's more in some states. Also, here in California you can redeem any gift card/voucher for cash if the amount is $10 or less.

LictorIntheGrass
02-12-2009, 18:47
Wow...Or I could buy discount elsewhere or second hand.

Anyone else feel this is a slap in the face? If not, you're spending too much...

My point made...

Lars Porsenna
02-12-2009, 19:09
Not to rain on GW's largesse, but I get 10% off at my FLGS as it is. Online sources I can get 20%, so meh...

Damon.

Putty
02-12-2009, 19:16
tbh, since gw is the main supplier of their product, you would think they can do a lot better...

Lars Porsenna
02-12-2009, 19:33
On further reflection, however, GW discounting is probably a bad idea anyway. Occasional sales would be OK I suppose, but then if they constantly have sales, then they undercut their independent vendors (not to mention stores). Most historical manufacturers I can think of don't discount when buying from the source (exception Black tree, which seems to have perpetual sales that are a good deal...if you get your stuff in a timely manner...).

That being said, if GW is going to offer sales, they should make it worth-while...

Damon.

Bael
02-12-2009, 23:32
It might even be a reaction to something internal that we're not privvy to... the limitation on spending it until a very short window after Christmas seems like someone inside is still dragging their heels over the idea.

I'm not even sure it's legal to limit virtual vouchers to such a short period here in the US and in Canada. It probably falls under the law passed earlier this year (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-627), which has a 5 year limit, while GW is trying to limit it to 5 days. It's more in some states. Also, here in California you can redeem any gift card/voucher for cash if the amount is $10 or less.

That law only applies to store bought gift cards, promotional gift cards like this are excluded (check section 401, point D).

Slight o/t but just the other day I was at a hardware store, spent ~$100 and got given a 'promotional gift card' that expired a whole 48 hours later :rolleyes:. Thought about immediately returning one of the items I'd bought and re-buying it, but decided not spending 10 minutes more of my life in a generic big-box hardware store was worth more than $10 to me.

Back on topic, I'll probably take advantage of this offer to get some direct order stuff I've been considering ordering for a while. Its difficult to find this stuff discounted online or 2nd hand.

Dangersaurus
02-12-2009, 23:45
That law only applies to store bought gift cards, promotional gift cards like this are excluded (check section 401, point D).

There is no 401D. 401 is an amendment to EFTA. I assume you mean change noted for 915a2D, which does not apply - this is not a loyalty, award or promo, since money is changing hands. Check 915a2C - an "electronic promise" is what a virtual voucher is, especially since money is changing hands in order to "buy" one. Again, I'm not 100% (and this is not legal advice etc), but why be so restricting and risk it? There's something behind the scenes here.

scarletsquig
02-12-2009, 23:46
This sale is really good for the direct-order stuff that can't be bought from the discount webstores.

Dangersaurus
03-12-2009, 00:44
This sale is really good for the direct-order stuff that can't be bought from the discount webstores.

Only if you plan on making another purchase between December 26th and January 1st.

LonelyPath
03-12-2009, 15:32
I think I'll still be shopping with Dark Sphere myself, the 25% discount is much better.

Grimstonefire
03-12-2009, 23:17
Another reason why people should consider this for direct only and Forge world models is that the VAT rate in the UK will be going up very soon (within the next month I think), so that will add another 2.5% onto the cost.

Pavic
04-12-2009, 01:40
Only if you plan on making another purchase between December 26th and January 1st. The voucher should cover the postage on that order.

Postage continues to be free on $15 orders through december, so this is not true.

Dangersaurus
04-12-2009, 02:00
Postage continues to be free on $15 orders through december, so this is not true.

$15.01 and up, but point taken.

simonr1978
04-12-2009, 03:59
VAT is due to return to 17.5% on January 1st.

Only if you plan on making another purchase between December 26th and January 1st.

Just a thought though, whilst this rebate is not a particularly impressive offer especially considering the limited time if anyone did take advantage of this couldn't you use your limited time 10 rebate voucher to buy a normal 10 gift voucher (Or whatever value voucher you had) to extend the usable life of it?

The T&Cs don't seem to prevent that.

BaronIveagh
04-12-2009, 07:24
I think that they're trying to defuse the hideous negative PR they've drummed up with all this fansite business while trying to deal with their products moving prices being lower then MRSP via sites like Ebay.

LictorIntheGrass
04-12-2009, 18:09
I think that they're trying to defuse the hideous negative PR they've drummed up with all this fansite business while trying to deal with their products moving prices being lower then MRSP via sites like Ebay.

Good luck with that, GW fans have long memories. And they have Warseer as a nexus of information so people won't forget it.

TheDarkDuke
05-12-2009, 23:07
That is pretty shocking that they're actually doing some sort of sale, but seriously seeing as how they jack the prices almost every year and that there product is probably overpriced as it is, id consider it a regular priced day. Every other day is just a 10% price increase sale:).

Freakiq
06-12-2009, 11:54
The voucher deal in combination with their free shipping makes for a rather good deal.

simonr1978
06-12-2009, 12:50

It's now saying January 31st which is a much better and more usable offer.

The voucher deal in combination with their free shipping makes for a rather good deal.

It's better than nothing but certainly isn't brilliant, considering it represents at best just over a 9% (9.1%) saving if you plan your initial purchase very carefully and spend exactly 100 of whatever currency and if you spend exactly 10 whatevers on the follow up purchase and if you're willing to wait till after Christmas to do so. If your initial spend is 120 instead it drops to 7.7% and it gets progressively worse the nearer the 199 point you get where it is 4.8% (Although to be fair at this point anyone with any common sense would just buy another pot of paint or something to take it over the 200 threshold and get their extra voucher).

There are plenty of retailers who are offering an actual percentage discount off the total rather than a limited time rebate of a fixed amount depending on a predetermined threshold, even with free postage you're likely to get a better deal elsewhere.

That said, it's a nod in the right direction IMO so GW deserve some credit for that at least.

doombanner
07-12-2009, 17:59
Well, I am sure some of you have seen it. GW is giving a $15 back if you spend $150 US, $30 if you spend $300 US, etc. The end is nigh!

Ooh, a 10% discount, isn't this magical?... :D

I just bought en entire Tyranid army at 30% off at my local Hobby Town.

They still had an old battleforce too! :D

~Doom Banner

simonr1978
07-12-2009, 18:06
Ooh, a 10% discount, isn't this magical?... :D

Except it's not a discount and it's not even 10%.

Huw_Dawson
08-12-2009, 13:39
This (http://cornerstork.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/crying_baby.jpg) sums up this thread quite well, I feel.

We get it. We have done for the last six years - you all hate Games Workshop and you wish everybody employed by them got hit by a comet. However, your hatred is about as constructive as a nuclear warhead is to a building site.

It's a rebate. It's okay. If you buy your stuff from the GW website then I suppose you'll be pleased that it exists.

The sheer volume of tears in this thread just makes the entire Other GW section look as immature as the one I decided to give up on over a year ago.

- Huw

Dangersaurus
08-12-2009, 19:47
The sheer volume of tears in this thread just makes the entire Other GW section look as immature as the one I decided to give up on over a year ago.

- Huw

Tears? This is toy soldiers, man. You've come into the room and yelled at everyone assuming there were tears? Are you trolling, or are you getting ready to step up to the next more mature toy soldier website?

ctsteel
09-12-2009, 11:33
I was due to renew my White Dwarf subscription this month anyway, so the timing was perfect. New 18month sub + some spare large bases got me over the $150 mark, and my voucher will then go toward some other direct order item or whatnot in January.

Does anyone know when the voucher arrives if you order off the website? Mine hasn't arrived but I'm guessing they aren't sending them until near the start of the redemption date? Sometimes subs don't get counted for these things which worried me slightly, but there's nothing in the fine print about exclusions so I'll be making enquiries and asking for them to honour the deal if I don't get my voucher.

crimson vengance
09-12-2009, 14:34

Lol! i wish they had discounts in the UK :(

Dangersaurus
09-12-2009, 16:15
or whatnot in January

That will be too late.

orcindrag
09-12-2009, 17:40
I think I'll still be shopping with Dark Sphere myself, the 25% discount is much better. I'll still use them too, they have a 25% sale in store for christmas now,

simonr1978
09-12-2009, 17:52
That will be too late.

No it wont, according to the website the voucher is valid until January 31st. Or, as I said earlier, there's nothing specifically in the T&Cs that I've noticed to prevent you using your rebate voucher to buy a regular voucher of equal value.

Darnok
09-12-2009, 18:00
That will be too late.

No it won't. You can use it until the end of January.

This whole discount thing is a good chance to use for stuff you can't get anywhere else: DO stuff, subscriptions, SG models. And on exactly that stuff I'll use it.

Edit: And ninja'd...

Deep-Green-X
11-12-2009, 11:37
It's nice that they've at least heard of the word discount, and looked it up in the dictionary now. It's an itty bit first step towards becoming a reasonable retailer.

But yeah - you can do way better elswhere all year round (I got 16% off my order at Maelstrom during their xmas sale).

Just to Illustrate: My order from Maelstrom was $144 and some cents. (For an OK Battalion, Hunter, Wash Set, 3 brushes)
The same order from the GW store $191.23 - so even with a $15 voucher (that only lasts a month!) it's not even close, ~19% cheaper at Maelstrom.

I ordered around 140 worth of scenery from Maelstrom a week ago, I'm buying it for my University's Gaming Society so planned to make some of it myself and get members to make the rest, I got a 20 or so saving over GW.

The problem is the order still hasn't shipped though I have been charged for it. Its still listed as "processing" and has been for about a week. Additionally I don't expect the order to arrive before the Christmas break meaning that all plans I had to have the scenery ready for our members when term restarts are out the window now.

I took advise from people to buy from Maelstrom or another indie retailer over GW but now I wish I hadn't. If I'd gone with GW I might not have saved as much but at least the order would have arrived by now. As it stands I'll have to do the majority of the work on this scenery not during my Christmas break but after Christmas when I'm back PhD'ing and my members are doing exams.

People may harp on about GW's discount not being worth it or exalt the virtues of the online indie retailer but at least I know that if I'd bought from GW direct I'd have my stuff by now and I'd have less of a headache in coming weeks.

Oh and the shipping would have been free...

yabbadabba
11-12-2009, 12:05
2 other things to consider: Timing of this is very important as it is Christmas so now is the time they will get more 150+ sales. The second is that in the UK we have the VAT rise coming back in January so GW will be tempted to cash in before then to. Think about it, its an effective 2.5% increase.
As for buying from other suppliers at a greater discount - well you are still lining GW's pockets so it won't make a difference.

Still as long as people are getting toys and are happy, thats all that matters :)

simonr1978
11-12-2009, 12:38
As for buying from other suppliers at a greater discount - well you are still lining GW's pockets so it won't make a difference.

Well it will to whoever is doing the buying since you'll either have more product or have spent less money, or maybe a bit of both.

yabbadabba
11-12-2009, 12:40
Well it will to whoever is doing the buying since you'll either have more product or have spent less money, or maybe a bit of both.Yeah I know, I just think its amusing when people think they are slighting GW by doing it. Oh Well. The only one who really loses out is the discounter.

ctsteel
12-12-2009, 00:02
Does anyone know when the voucher arrives if you order off the website? Mine hasn't arrived but I'm guessing they aren't sending them until near the start of the redemption date?

My question has been answered in the GW website blog from 9th Dec:

If you earn a Citizen's Reward by making purchases in one of our Hobby Centres then you will be issued with a Gift Voucher there and then, and if you make your purchases here on games-workshop.com then your vouchers will be sent out to you, between the 16th and the 24th of December, in time for you to redeem them on the 26th December - it'll be just like having a second Christmas morning!